Harry

33 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Here's the rub for me, no doubt Davis is the real deal, but some may be advised to not make him the messiah just yet. What I recall the prognosis was he would be fit around end of August, don't know if this was match fit, or fit to resume full training?

lets go with match fit around end of August for now, as we all know thats just an assessment and it could be a couple of weeks beyond then for a player to attain full match fitness, now if we dont get off to a flyer both manager and player will be under pressure to 'rush it' which could lead to a quick breakdown and a longer rehab.

that would effectively mean we are paying probably our highest earner just to treat his injury. Even though Davis is a good player at this level I worry about the wisdom of signing someone you are effectively putting all your eggs in one basket with (expect Baird to be loaned out now) who could miss the first four/five games and still take time to get up to speed.

surely there are several other alternatives who would jump at what Davis is raking in, who are match fit and available for selection on Saturday..?

Here's a different rub. Davis original prognosis was that he'd be out til September. Could well be that he is ahead of schedule, hence us signing him now rather than waiting. He could be back by game 4, with us sitting on 9 points out of 9, with Harry back in the fray as a further boost to the team.

This would mean we would be paying probably our highest earner to have time to force his way back into an already winning team. Davis is a fantastic player for this level, who is clearly homing in on fitness, and will be back within the month. Baird will not be loaned out, given he is effectively 3rd choice centre back at the moment - that would be stupid.

Please list the alternatives that there surely are, whom you would be happy with us paying a large wage to...

37 minutes ago, Balmullo Bud said:

Hopefully back 100% fit in the next few weeks. Looked excellent from the little we saw of him last season. Imagine we'll see the extra year option taken when we get promoted. emoji12.png

Maybe need the additional year to get him fully match fit. 

Good signing and why would anybody assume he will be our top earner :blink:  They will be few if any saint fans on this forum who will know what our players earned. The club will pay what they think he is worth and that is their business, not ours as fans.

Harry is a top signing. One we wouldn't have been in the market for had he been fit as he'd have had offers above our own. 

Let's enjoy the fact that we have a guy on our books who would in all likelihood walk into a top six SPFL Premiership side at peak fitness and will him back to fitness soon. 

2 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Good signing and why would anybody assume he will be our top earner :blink:  They will be few if any saint fans on this forum who will know what our players earned. The club will pay what they think he is worth and that is their business, not ours as fans.

Errr. The manager already said the only reason we could afgord to sign him is because he is crocked.. ergo he wants more money than any of the rest of the 26 players Ross has signed.. ergo he is probably our top/crock earner....

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

Errr. The manager already said the only reason we could afgord to sign him is because he is crocked.. ergo he wants more money than any of the rest of the 26 players Ross has signed.. ergo he is probably our top/crock earner....

Aye, if you say so :blink:

1 minute ago, uhura said:

I see it's a one year contract with an option for another year. I wonder which side decides on the option. 

I am guessing here but I reckon it will be the club if he plays or is fit for a certain amount of games.

15 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Harry is a top signing. One we wouldn't have been in the market for had he been fit as he'd have had offers above our own. 

Let's enjoy the fact that we have a guy on our books who would in all likelihood walk into a top six SPFL Premiership side at peak fitness and will him back to fitness soon. 

Harry Davis is the signing of the summer for me.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Here's the rub for me, no doubt Davis is the real deal, but some may be advised to not make him the messiah just yet. What I recall the prognosis was he would be fit around end of August, don't know if this was match fit, or fit to resume full training?

lets go with match fit around end of August for now, as we all know thats just an assessment and it could be a couple of weeks beyond then for a player to attain full match fitness, now if we dont get off to a flyer both manager and player will be under pressure to 'rush it' which could lead to a quick breakdown and a longer rehab.

that would effectively mean we are paying probably our highest earner just to treat his injury. Even though Davis is a good player at this level I worry about the wisdom of signing someone you are effectively putting all your eggs in one basket with (expect Baird to be loaned out now) who could miss the first four/five games and still take time to get up to speed.

surely there are several other alternatives who would jump at what Davis is raking in, who are match fit and available for selection on Saturday..?

Remember Darren McGregor had injuries to both knees and he came back and is still rated as an excellent defender. 

11 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

Harry Davis is the signing of the summer for me.

Brilliant innit. 

Although, why didn't we wait till the Autumn when he is likely to be fit ? 

Could have saved the Club a fortune. 

9 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Remember Darren McGregor had injuries to both knees and he came back and is still rated as an excellent defender. 

Indeed what a star as he returns to the top league after years in the doldrums.