Harry

27 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm not sure why two bad but unrelated injuries in two years would leave a guy with anything to prove in terms of fitness. If it was a recurring issue in the same knee, I'd perhaps understand but none of the injuries have been at all related.

Darren McGregor mangled the cruciate and medial ligaments in each of his knees in consecutive seasons for us in two unrelated incidents and yet nobody seemed to be anything other than happy when he signed on for his final season, despite missing two full years. He played about 35 games in his final season without recurrence and everyone was gutted when he left and went to Rangers. I can't remember many holding two significantly more serious injuries than Davis has had over Darren's head and feeling relieved he hadn't signed on again and he's thankfully gone on to continue his career with no further recurrences in the past four years. 

So why is Davis any different? Yes, it's not an ideal set of circumstances to sign a guy who is coming off a rather nasty injury but let's be honest, would you rather have a guy like Davis who is quite clearly above our level under normal circumstance and sacrifice a month or two or go for an absolute jobber? I am more than happy to see us lining up with MacKenzie and Baird for the Falkirk match.

It also may not occur to many but perhaps the reason this deal has taken a long time to conclude is BECAUSE the club have actually performed their due diligence and sought further medical opinion on Harry's prognosis. Perhaps the reason that it is taking a while is BECAUSE the medical is absolutely thorough, stringent and ensuring that whilst not risk-free (what player truly is?) but the risk to the club is minimised as much as possible.

Unfortunately though, some on here are simply unwilling to give St. Mirren the benefit of any sort of professionalism and simply know better than the people who run the club...

Not sure why I have been quoted by you on the above. I have never questioned the professionalism of the club or suggested that I know better than the people who run the club.

If you can quote any of my posts that go against this statement then please do.

I was stating my concerns about the signing of injured players as nearly every club has been stung at some time or another. Harry Davis is not Darren McGregor and each player would be assessed on their own situation. I would always trust the club to make the best assessment as they - unlike anyone on here - have access to the most complete set of information regarding his fitness / injury situation. 

Forums are about speculation / discussion points / musings etc. and I was offering my own thoughts on how I would handle the situation and commenting that it was a concern that no other club seems to be looking at him despite his obvious ability. This is surely information that should be considered and I don't doubt that it is being factored in any potential agreement the club may be considering. Indeed I was actually asking if we had signed him as I don't know.

Anyway - my post contains my thoughts, concerns and opinions but certainly no criticism of the club. So please have a think about what you are typing before you throw spurious allegations about.

I honestly reckon it's far less of a punt to sign a guy who's had two bad, but unrelated injuries and missed a lot of games for that reason, than one of the "two games fit, two games out" guys like Dargo or Quinn (both of whom have been good players for us, when fit).

28 minutes ago, norman said:

I honestly reckon it's far less of a punt to sign a guy who's had two bad, but unrelated injuries and missed a lot of games for that reason, than one of the "two games fit, two games out" guys like Dargo or Quinn (both of whom have been good players for us, when fit).

Hopefully we do end up with a fit Harry Davis - I think he would be a standout in the division. I was reading that this is actually his third major injury (if you accept a major injury being more than a couple of months out) so my worry is that he is one of those 'injury prone' players.

But - like you say - we could get lucky and get a good couple of seasons out him and even if he does pick up a few knocks he would certainly do a job when fit.

Certainly not against it. I guess we just have to wait and see.

1 minute ago, foxbar_bud said:

Based on the performances in pre season of Gary Mac, Buchanan and Baird, another centre half is an absolute must.

Hopefully it will be Davis who is heads and shoulders above all 3

A fit Davis looks a must as much as a decent striker is needed after today.

19 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Any chance you can put a link up to say he has officially signed as I have not seen any. 

Neither have I, just posing a question based on the manager's comment last week he hoped to sign him in the next 24 hours, which doesnt seem to have happened as far as we know?

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Neither have I, just posing a question based on the manager's comment last week he hoped to sign him in the next 24 hours, which doesnt seem to have happened as far as we know?

The feeling seems to be that we have another playing joining, too. As a club we have previous for saving player announcements until they can be made at the same time. 

10 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

The feeling seems to be that we have another playing joining, too. As a club we have previous for saving player announcements until they can be made at the same time. 

Aye, Davis deal is done I'm told, with another on the way too. Would rather they just announced it to give us fans a bit of a boost - we're a fickle bunch.

2 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Aye, Davis deal is done I'm told, with another on the way too. Would rather they just announced it to give us fans a bit of a boost - we're a fickle bunch.

No idea why the club hasn't formally announced the Davis signing. Like you, I've heard it was completed last week.

I'm not sure why they would hold off given he was at the club last week and very visible during the Livingston match. Maybe a technical detail surrounding his current status or registration - no doubt something innocuous like that.

It is intriguing that no-one seems to have had a sniff of who the other likely signing is. I'm hoping that's an indication that he is of decent pedigree, and the club are being discreet in order not to draw attention to it.

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

No idea why the club hasn't formally announced the Davis signing. Like you, I've heard it was completed last week.

I'm not sure why they would hold off given he was at the club last week and very visible during the Livingston match. Maybe a technical detail surrounding his current status or registration - no doubt something innocuous like that.

It is intriguing that no-one seems to have had a sniff of who the other likely signing is. I'm hoping that's an indication that he is of decent pedigree, and the club are being discreet in order not to draw attention to it.

I've heard we're interested in a young Premier League full back, but am thinking he's not the one being referenced. Reinforcements needed. Also, more physical presence needed. Aside from our centre backs, and possibly Whyte, we were a small team on Saturday, which is fine when it's a team of Messi, Xavi and Coutinhos but in our league you need some physical enforcer types.

Bring back Goody! :P

11 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I've heard we're interested in a young Premier League full back, but am thinking he's not the one being referenced. Reinforcements needed. Also, more physical presence needed. Aside from our centre backs, and possibly Whyte, we were a small team on Saturday, which is fine when it's a team of Messi, Xavi and Coutinhos but in our league you need some physical enforcer types.

Bring back Goody! :P

The full back will presumably be the lad from Hearts that has been talked about, no?

We haven't entered the loan market yet, so I'm confident that we'll strengthen in key areas.

The last two matches might just be a blessing in disguise in terms of highlighting where we need to bolster the squad.

My wish list is a committed sitting midfielder and an experienced striker who can link the midfield and forwards areas effectively. Assuming we have Davis signed up, we wouldn't then be too far away.

Edited by Drew

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

The full back will presumably be the lad from Hearts that has been talked about, no?

We haven't entered the loan market yet, so I'm confident that we'll strengthen in key areas.

The last two matches might just be a blessing in disguise in terms of highlighting where we need to bolster the squad.

My wish list is a committed sitting midfielder and an experienced striker who can link the midfield and forwards areas effectively. Assuming we have Davis signed up, we wouldn't then be too far away.

Good thing about loans from bigger clubs is that they are normally cheap, with most of the cost being met by the parent club, meaning it doesn't tie up a huge amount of budget. I think we need to wait til closer to the league kick off before getting the loans in, or when the prem clubs finalise their squads.

Sonny said in another thread he'd heard Davis has signed but won't be officially announced until August 1. Could be because he'll be entitled to more cash from Crewe if he hasn't found a new club by a certain date (sounds ridiculous but it happens).

If he is signing, it doesn't really matter when it's formally completed as he won't be available for at least a month, probably longer.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Sonny said in another thread he'd heard Davis has signed but won't be officially announced until August 1. Could be because he'll be entitled to more cash from Crewe if he hasn't found a new club by a certain date (sounds ridiculous but it happens).

If he is signing, it doesn't really matter when it's formally completed as he won't be available for at least a month, probably longer.

Cheers.

Aye, no real rush, right enough.

As much as I think Davis is a good player. If we don't get decent forwards in before the Falkirk game we are in trouble. with Irvine and Stelios at right back were ok. It's at left back were in trouble if Eckersley gets another injury. I'm sure JR and JF know this and will try to sort it out within the budget they have.

4 hours ago, Drew said:

Said on BBC Gossip column last week the Hearts boy will be loaned when he recovers from an injury probably later in August. If true would be strange to sign an injured player to cover for injuries

Guest TPAFKATS
As much as I think Davis is a good player. If we don't get decent forwards in before the Falkirk game we are in trouble. with Irvine and Stelios at right back were ok. It's at left back were in trouble if Eckersley gets another injury. I'm sure JR and JF know this and will try to sort it out within the budget they have.

Surely 3 full backs should be enough to get us through the season?

Squad lacks quality.  It's all about putting the ball in the net and out of the so called favourites we are the only team who do not have a striker that will score regular.  I genuinely felt that this season we would be challenging but after seeing Some of the players brought in I'm not sure.  I hope they bed in but I have doubts about them.  We won't spend the cash so we won't get the striker. If we can't find one then I'd imagine we won't go down but that a mid table finish should follow 

21 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

Squad lacks quality.  It's all about putting the ball in the net and out of the so called favourites we are the only team who do not have a striker that will score regular.  I genuinely felt that this season we would be challenging but after seeing Some of the players brought in I'm not sure.  I hope they bed in but I have doubts about them.  We won't spend the cash so we won't get the striker. If we can't find one then I'd imagine we won't go down but that a mid table finish should follow 

Too early to judge new players Norrie as some will need a bit more time to adjust to a step up in pace and quality of game/opponent. I agree we need another striker and right back.