Having A Bad Day

Opening up a coffee shop has been frustrating and stressful. The shop had to be taken back to a shell whichI was happy with so you can put your own mark on the place. The work has taken longer than expected ok can deal with that. After long a long searchI found a company called Cafe Reality with chairs and tables that would be good for the shop being a wee bit different from the run of the mill the idea to add quality and comfort. Chairs and tub chairs arrived first  and was well pleased with the quality very smart looking and comfortable  to sit on. Next the tables arrived. You have a base plate on top of that a square pole then another base. All good so far again very good quality and very heavy to make the table secure. Now the thin table top should fit into the top base with screws. Problem is the holes in the top base do not match the holes on the table top. Phoned Cafe Reality who informed me to drill new holes in the table to match the table top base.

Even before I contacted the joiner working in the shop I knew this would not work and why should you have to drill new holes on a new table ? Joiner said because of the thinness of the table it could not be done as it would not take long for the top to come loose. Back on the phone to Cafe Reality and said I would like to return in exchange for a suitable table top.

I was told tops would need to be returned in original packaging. I now don't have the original packaging, however told Cafe Reality I would get suitable carboard packaging and bubble wrap. This offer was rejected with no budging. So I phoned Trading Standards who informed me Cafe Reality would need to take the tops back because they are not sutable and unsafe.

Cafe Reality wrote to me by e-mail and said if I had orderd complete tables this problem would not have arisen that i chose miss matching bases and tops. Told them I did the order over the phone and they confirmed to me everything matched so looks like my word against theirs. Anyone know where I stand ?

Really really gutted about this as I was hoping to be open mid June but one set back after another has held me up,now I hope some time in August to be open but hell knows how long this is going to go on for. Spent quite a bit in Cafe Reality the tops are not even a quarter of what was spent with them ;(   

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

Not sure where you stand bud, however if you like the choices you made could you glue them together as opposed to screwing?

Not too sure top base is like iron. Will look into that so thanks. Received another e-mail saying they would look further into this problem on Monday so will give them a call and see if I can charm them. 

Just now, melmac said:

If you bought online / by phone / by mail order, you have rights to return it under consumer contracts regs. You should also be covered by insurance if you paid by credit card.

Debtcard silly me trading standards told me the same thing. Guess what I am going to take out before the kitchen equipment is purchased. 

If they use FB and/or Twitter, a few reasonable appeals to them in a very public domain will give them cause to take note. There is nothing worse for a business than adverse publicity. No need to go over the score. Keep it balanced at first, and ramp it up a wee bit if necessary.

This approach has worked for me in the past.

Good luck with it Ian, however you take it forward.