St Mirren V Airdrie - Third Place Decider

St.Ricky

Will be an interesting team selection! With all the injuries, unless a new signing is made, there aren't too many ways to shuffle things. Stelios will come in for Whyte I anyway I guess. 

The right hand side of midfield is a big problem area for me. We seem to be having to try everyone out there and I think it's one of the main reasons we look so disjointed. At the end of last season, Morgan and Magennis terrorised defences down the sides with their pace and directness. Missing Magennis and possible replacements, in Josh Todd and Dale Hilson, is hurting us.

Morgan, McGinn, McShane, Smith and Kirkpatrick were across the midfield yesterday. Morgan the only one of them who is a wide player. The second half looked a bit better with O'Keefe on the left and Morgan on the right. In the absence of any better looking options I'd be tempted to go with O'Keefe from the start against Airdrie,

1 hour ago, Julian Banjos said:

Will be an interesting team selection! With all the injuries, unless a new signing is made, there aren't too many ways to shuffle things. Stelios will come in for Whyte I anyway I guess. 

The right hand side of midfield is a big problem area for me. We seem to be having to try everyone out there and I think it's one of the main reasons we look so disjointed. At the end of last season, Morgan and Magennis terrorised defences down the sides with their pace and directness. Missing Magennis and possible replacements, in Josh Todd and Dale Hilson, is hurting us.

Morgan, McGinn, McShane, Smith and Kirkpatrick were across the midfield yesterday. Morgan the only one of them who is a wide player. The second half looked a bit better with O'Keefe on the left and Morgan on the right. In the absence of any better looking options I'd be tempted to go with O'Keefe from the start against Airdrie,

Not trying to put a damper on things but the second half meant nothing to Thistle damage already done and still they scored a goal with a blind system on or it looked that way. This a team who have scored next to nothing in preseason yet could put FIVE past us with little ease . All behind Jack 100 % but we look bad. 

Wonder if Andy Ryan will shine for Airdrie then see us making a move for him as Rangers lure Kenny McLean. All if's , but's and maybe's. One thing is for sure we do need more fire power up front. Up for the game then back down to the Bute Feast festival going to be a good weekend :)

13 hours ago, Julian Banjos said:

I'd be tempted to go with the same 11, bar Stelios in for Whyte, and tell them to make amends. In reality I think we will see O'Keefe getting a start, along with Sutton, as well as Stelios coming back in, unless we get a player or two in the door this week.

48 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Wonder if Andy Ryan will shine for Airdrie then see us making a move for him as Rangers lure Kenny McLean. All if's , but's and maybe's. One thing is for sure we do need more fire power up front. Up for the game then back down to the Bute Feast festival going to be a good weekend :)

There must be better entertainment at Butefest on Saturday afternoon ? 

Agree with Bud the Baker. This is a very important game. The players MUST show a positive reaction after the Firhill performance. Given our recent results, a loss or even just a draw against a team from the league below us would be very worrying. This is the last chance for the players and the manager to show that they are beginning to get things right for the league games ahead.  

Couldn't agree more with BTB and Pondsman.

If the players have any sense of pride, and respect for the fans and the manager, they should be completely fired up for this game.

I still have a modicum of optimism left, hence the reason why I will be going along on Saturday to lend my support towards a 6-0 victory for the good guys.:rolleyes:

However, I will reserve the right to boo loudly and shout "26 players you've signed Ross. Tick.Tock.", at HT if we're not winning.:whistle

9 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Couldn't agree more with BTB and Pondsman.

If the players have any sense of pride, and respect for the fans and the manager, they should be completely fired up for this game.

I still have a modicum of optimism left, hence the reason why I will be going along on Saturday to lend my support towards a 6-0 victory for the good guys.:rolleyes:

However, I will reserve the right to boo loudly and shout "26 players you've signed Ross. Tick.Tock.", at HT if we're not winning.:whistle

You won't need to wait till half time as we'll lose a goal within the first 10 minutes followed by a torrent of abuse from sweary woman and SPS starting a conga out of the ground to the pub at half time.

Edited by faraway saint

I think we will almost be guaranteed more effort, concentration, intensity and consequently more quality on Saturday after last weeks showing, I know it's too little too late in this competition but I see 3 or 4 nil Saints and I am actually looking forward to this one.

It's a dead tie. think we will give fringe players and youngsters a start.

17 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

The problem with this idea is that if we have another poor result we will be almost on the Falkirk game with no form or confidence.

The fans will be running out of the feel good factor we gained from last season and, IMO, we will be no closer to a strong starting 11 and could well get gubbed by a Falkirk side who are on a run of form.

I would suggest we get as good a team as we can muster and win this game and build on some confidence.

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

The problem with this idea is that if we have another poor result we will be almost on the Falkirk game with no form or confidence.

The fans will be running out of the feel good factor we gained from last season and, IMO, we will be no closer to a strong starting 11 and could well get gubbed by a Falkirk side who are on a run of form.

I would suggest we get as good a team as we can muster and win this game and build on some confidence.

Fortunately our manager is thinking along the same lines as yourself.

We won't be playing fringe players etc.

We will be playing our strongest team according to the manager.

Which to me makes total sense.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

You won't need to wait till half time as we'll lose a goal within the first 10 minutes followed by a torrent of abuse from sweary woman and SPS starting a conga out of the ground to the pub at half time.

You forgot to add you will be on the 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Spot on - we'll play the team we plan on playing against Falkirk, and I expect us to treat it like a league match, total commitment and intensity in our play. Get some rhythm into our play, get some goals and some confidence. Who do we put in the team though?

Samson

Irvine Baird MacKenzie Stelios

McGinn Quinn McShane

Smith Sutton Morgan

Possibly? Get more experience in the team, have the likes of Reilly and Kirkpatrick on the bench, along with O'Keefe. Some big decisions for Jack, especially as he looks to have decided Sutton and Quinn aren't part of his long term plan, but we need some physicality up front and more experience in midfield.

6 hours ago, pondsman said:

Agree with Bud the Baker. This is a very important game. The players MUST show a positive reaction after the Firhill performance. Given our recent results, a loss or even just a draw against a team from the league below us would be very worrying. This is the last chance for the players and the manager to show that they are beginning to get things right for the league games ahead.

Spot on. Anyone who doesn't think this is an important game is quite frankly a moron (in my humble opinion of course).

4 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

Exhibit A anyone? :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Has sweary woman been formally identified and outed yet? Do we know where she sits? I want to experience the wonder of sweary woman before I form my opinion.

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

Sweary woman was around G90 ish, West Stand, I would say at the Livi game. Out f'kin rageous she is. I had the misfortune to be very close to her at Easter Road last day of last season. Staggering what comes out her mouth with her little one in tow. I had thought she was a one off till the Livi game..........I was wrong :(

1 hour ago, scam75 said:

Sweary woman was around G90 ish, West Stand, I would say at the Livi game. Out f'kin rageous she is. I had the misfortune to be very close to her at Easter Road last day of last season. Staggering what comes out her mouth with her little one in tow. I had thought she was a one off till the Livi game..........I was wrong :(

Would she squeeze into the "character" category, or is she just an out and out potty mouthed lunatic harpie?