Darren Whyte vs Jack Ross

27 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

all of them were full backs. Whyte is not that's the point. he's more a defensive midfielder.

Sober up FFS 

And gonnae start your sentences with a capital letter please ? 

Whyte is supposed to be a professional football player. 

He should be comfortable in any position in that area of the pitch. 

35 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

would you play John Sutton at right back

Aw Diddums 

I am a halfwit :lol:

BM  GRASSED YOU :wub:

Edited by shull

Watched the game in the pub with a Celtic fan who has become a mate so he was interested to see us with all the good talk going on abouts us. My thought all through the game ,  oh my god we are no where near good enough for a league challenge even with missing players. We don't have a form striker in our ranks I could write more on that subject but don't want to cause offence this early.  As for Whyte a couple of times he caught my eye my thought was there is a player there when I seen him going forward. Just feel disappointed as I genuinely thought we would put up a challenge this season. We won't the fire power is not there. 

19 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Watched the game in the pub with a Celtic fan who has become a mate so he was interested to see us with all the good talk going on abouts us. My thought all through the game ,  oh my god we are no where near good enough for a league challenge even with missing players. We don't have a form striker in our ranks I could write more on that subject but don't want to cause offence this early.  As for Whyte a couple of times he caught my eye my thought was there is a player there when I seen him going forward. Just feel disappointed as I genuinely thought we would put up a challenge this season. We won't the fire power is not there. 

We were also shot-shy against Livingston, Ian. Over-elaborating when we should have had a pop at the first opportunity.

At the end of last season, there was an element of caution being thrown to the wind at times. Last throw of the dice stuff (aye, mixing my metaphors now....).  There was more urgency, and that resulted in a more incisive, attacking style.

We need to try and rekindle that momentum from somewhere. Won't be easy, but we have to hope.

3 hours ago, bud84 said:

There was 11 hopeless performances in that starting side yesterday and you choose to highlight the young guy who was only brought into the team as cover because of suspensions. He was far from the worst player in the side,  Gavin Reilly and Ian Mcshane are experienced players and both were horrendous yesterday,  I'd be alot more worried about them than a young boy who's trying to kick start a career in football.

If we are talking about players hung out to dry, Gavin Reilly a lone striker??? I think not!! Looks like none of the new signings are anywhere near the levels of Magennis , Mallan Ekersley and Loy. These 4 were our best players (along with McKenzie) in 'The great escape' Sadly Mallan and Loy won't be back. Lets hope the other 2 are fit very very soon!!

3 hours ago, RichardBuddie said:

Got to agree with the last part of this post, with the exception of our captain I saw no fight or dig from the team, we were all over the place yesterday, thistle simply blew us away (particularly in the first half).

I am a bit worried as based on that yesterday 'streetwise' teams such as Falkirk and Dundee United could potentially do the same to us if we don't get our act together.

For me that was as bad yesterday as QOS at home back in January.

Agree. Particularly in the first half.

3 hours ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

What concerned me though Pozbaird was the lack of fight. Fitness or the knitting of the team may not be quite right yet but there is NO excuse not to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in. None!

I agree. There was no fight or determination. On that display we are going to be taken to the cleaners when the league starts. There are clubs with street wise pros who will quickly work out our weaknesses. And it shows already that with a few injuries and suspensions we can't cope. That has to be built into a team over a season as you will never go a year with no injuries etc. For some reason St Mirren have never really been the same since leaving Love Street.

3 hours ago, Mr Optimistic said:

If we are talking about players hung out to dry, Gavin Reilly a lone striker??? I think not!! Looks like none of the new signings are anywhere near the levels of Magennis , Mallan Ekersley and Loy. These 4 were our best players (along with McKenzie) in 'The great escape' Sadly Mallan and Loy won't be back. Lets hope the other 2 are fit very very soon!!

I think you need to add Morgan and Smith not forgetting McGinn and Stelios.

So not all doom and gloom just yet but do think we need cover to ensure a solid defence.

2 minutes ago, wee bud 62 said:

I know this boys father and Jack Ross has told him he sees his future with StMirren at right back. Give the boys a chance and see where we go this season.

I didn't think he did particularly badly, compared to most of the other players.

He won't be the first player to change his position as his career develops and he won't be the last.

Edited by FTOF

On 23 July 2017 at 0:31 AM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I'm  not one for starting threads where one exists but I felt I had to  start this.

Darren Whyte was hung out to dry by our manager today.

Anyone who has watched him play for the U20s will say he's an excellent central defender or defensive midfielder.

He's not a full back. In all the U20 games I saw last season he never once played in that position and if JR didn't know after the Dundee game he would  certainly have known it by reading the comments on here by me and SantaPonsa.

To play him there against a top division team was, IMO, an incredible misjudgement 

It'ts true, you had to start this. How dare a manager give a young player a chance when the conditions are not perfect for him. Giving him the first big massive learning opportunity of his professional life was an outrage, an attack on the kid. How dare he make him see how the rest of the team works and what a full back is up against when the central defence is not working? What on earth possessed the manager when he gave the kid a taste of the pace and strength he is likely to see from premiership footballers? What possible use is there in learning from a heavy defeat?

Ross should be ashamed of himself for giving this unique opportunity to a youngster

On 7/23/2017 at 11:12 AM, Mr Optimistic said:

Agree that Reilly suffered badly from a lack of support. Regarding our best players in the 2nd half of last season, Mallan, Morgan, Magennis, Mackenzie and McGinn for me. Smith, Loy, Stelios and Eckersley honourable mentions. Only Mallan is a huge miss - Loy would have struggled if left to fend for himself with no service up front on Saturday.

My general thoughts on the game were that we suffered badly down our right on Saturday, with young Whyte being bypassed time and again while pushing a little too far forward, meaning Baird had to come across to cover and was left exposed. That was the root of the problem. I'm sure the youngster won't have enjoyed the experience, but improved greatly in the second half.

The team on the whole lacked urgency, tempo, intensity and purpose. We played it like a friendly. McGinn wasn't able to inspire them to greater effort the way he did last season, and was off the boil himself. Reilly lacked support, and both Morgan and Smith were in a kind of no man's land where they offered neither support to the striker nor cover for their respective full back.

Jack will have had a week to organise them, and I expect a far more professional performance on Saturday, which is huge for us now as it is our chance to boost confidence and start some momentum before the league opener. Over to you Jack - get those boys playing.

19 minutes ago, wee bud 62 said:

I know this boys father and Jack Ross has told him he sees his future with StMirren at right back. Give the boys a chance and see where we go this season.

Thought he suffered on Saturday, but every game should be a learning experience, and as I said he improved greatly in the second half. Not an easy job coming up against a motivated top 6 Premiership side. 

It'ts true, you had to start this. How dare a manager give a young player a chance when

Blah blah blah. My sarcasmometer has just blown up reading that.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be given a chance, in fact if you search for "Whyte" on the forum you'll see I was the first one to say he'd be the next U 20 to break into the 1st team. that's how highly I rated him.

However to give him his 1st competitive start away to a top 6 Premiership side and out of position was not the way to go about it

7 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Blah blah blah. My sarcasmoneter has just blown up reading that.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be given a chance, in fact if you search for "Whyte" on the forum you'll see I was the first one to say he'd be the next U 20 to break into the 1st team. that's how highly I rated him.

However to give him his 1st competitive start away to a top 6 Premiership side and out of position was not the way to go about it

I'm sure he has been coached in that position, given he played there against Dundee and we knew well in advance that Stelios was suspended so needed a solution to that. The boy had a torrid time, but I'm sure he can learn from it and will get backing from the manager and coaching staff who probably know now in hindsight it was a tough ask. We'll all move on, and hopefully see him back in the team doing better soon.

2 hours ago, wee bud 62 said:

One of our better right-backs of recent years has faith in the lad, so he knew what he was doing and what might be gained by the outing in that position.

Good to see the manager taking positive steps with a decent young player, he could easily have said that he had enough central defenders and didn't need him when the step-up from the U 20s was on the cards.  he backed his faith in the player with a starting slot and it seems he grew into things as the game progressed.

13 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

One of our better right-backs of recent years has faith in the lad, so he knew what he was doing and what might be gained by the outing in that position.

Aye, good point.

Numerous players have changed position during the early stages of their careers - and many in a more marked way than this outing represents. Was Josh Magennis not a 'keeper before he became a striker?

I reckon Whyte was pitched into the midst of the perfect shitstorm on Saturday - against higher league opposition, and in a game when none of his team mates showed up, and our opponents were clearly much more up for it.

So it goes. The lad should consider it valuable experience, and the coaching staff will be able to use it as a means to evaluate his game (along with the others) and those areas that require a bit more development.

If he is to realise the potential that folk are suggesting he has, he will need to grow from experiences such as this. I'm sure he will.

1 hour ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

He's wasn't playing out of position.

He was playing in his new position, as our manager sees it.

Ideally he might have had an easier start, but our personnel situation deemed otherwise.

It happens everywhere in life, when people are put into more difficult experiences than they're accustomed to.

Some individuals rise to the occasion and others crash and burn. From the look of his second half performance, hopefully Darren is talented enough that he'll learn from the experience and prosper from it.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Aye, good point.

Numerous players have changed position during the early stages of their careers - and many in a more marked way than this outing represents. Was Josh Magennis not a 'keeper before he became a striker?

I reckon Whyte was pitched into the midst of the perfect shitstorm on Saturday - against higher league opposition, and in a game when none of his team mates showed up, and our opponents were clearly much more up for it.

So it goes. The lad should consider it valuable experience, and the coaching staff will be able to use it as a means to evaluate his game (along with the others) and those areas that require a bit more development.

If he is to realise the potential that folk are suggesting he has, he will need to grow from experiences such as this. I'm sure he will.

Agree - I have seen the young guy play and he has played well.

One game doesn't break or make any player.

Learn and move on is the professional thing to do.

Us fans find it harder to do that I think!

What's being missed in this thread is that Whyte had a shocker. If he crunches into his first 50/50 and wins it he likely takes confidence from it and goes into have a decent game. He didn't. So it goes. I'm sure both the player and manager are eager to have another go at it and we'll see what he's made of then.

I'm not sure what the drama is?