St Mirren v Falkirk SPFL Championship. 5/8/17

shull

Just now, billyg said:

Great result , but a mixed performance I thought , and there's still room for improvement. Falkirk were awful after a bright start.

First 20 minutes, we were poor. Otherwise, I thought that was damn good.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

It wasn't out of nothing. We'd been playing well, and the goal was coming.

That was my take on the first goal. First 20 minutes I thought we were in for a hiding but we slowly grew into the game and, by the time the third went in, we were well on top. I hope we aren't going to make a habit of giving a goal of a start though.

Well done Saints and Big John did make the difference for Reilly.

Fantastic result today plus really well taken goals even if second was down to keeper mistake. Work rate of whole team and commitment was great to see also. Sutton appeared to have a sort of roving role and he contributed well. Smith immense. If we can tighten up at the back and Samson can inject some confidence in them with a more consistent performance we can definitely be in playoffs

Same Reilly some of our supporters had written off. :rolleyes:... :happyclapper

Yep. The boy was brilliant, never gave the centre half any peace, leading to him rushing clearances and putting a few out of play. Linked so well with Morgan and Smith, and what a composed finish.

I still don't think that the Bairns goal was valid, but from then on we gave them a masterclass on how to play in the SPFL championship, we were feckin ruthless, and if I had to give a man of the match award then I'd be scunnered, we weren't in it early but we gave the bastards such a hiding after that first ( mebbe ) goal that I'm now convinced!

It was, trust me bud. Spot on with the rest of your post though.

Just home. What a performance! The way we came back to dominate was so encouraging. We've laid down a marker that we should be contenders for at least the play offs. Thought everyone got at least 7 out of 10 today. Special mention to Stelios, Smith, Reilly, McGinn, Mackenzie... Feck it... Everyone!

After first 20 mins where I thought we were devoid of confidence we were really good. The mount of headers wee Smith won was amazing. Morgan was top notch as were Smith Sutton and Reilly. On to cappielow where we hopefully carry on with our league form.

Pleasantly surprised started awful but for 75% of game absolutely dominated falkirk. Somebody said said earlier we must keep Sutton which is a must. Reilly worked his socks off had a good game cammy and morgan had good games too. Stelios and mcginn were outstanding. Don't like being critical after a great win but would like a new keeper and thought mcshane was very one paced but does have a great delivery from set pieces. Don't want to get carried away but with a couple of good signings coupled with Mcgennis and davis returning i think this could be a memorable year

Can see now what Ross was trying with the long balls down the park to Reilly.  Hopefully we have learned where to place them for him to get down the channels and cause danger rather than give the ball away like in the Partick game.

I wouldn't get too carried away from this afternoon.  We were woeful until Morgan and Smith switched wings, after that fairly good - but Falkirk really did not compete in the middle of the park and posed little threat once Morgan pushed Hippo back.

MacKenzie and Baird were unsteady at the back (with the ball on the ground), Smith and McShane fairly uninfluential imo.  We really should have been a lot more ruthless with our chances towards the end of the game.

Alls well that ends well though!  Morgan MOTM for me.  I don't see why some are saying "great result, we should be contenders for the playoffs".  Eh??  Anything below 4th is surely a very disappointing season by the standards of where we should be.  I would still hold out hope for a couple of additions - a creative midfielder and striker still required, alongside a fit David and Magennis.  With all of that no reason we can't push the Arabs for the title.  Playoff is fairly useless prize to aim for anyway!

Falkirk came out of the blocks fast, Samson dropped a clanger and we were up against it for a while. Slowly played our way back into it and got a good equaliser.

Second half we totally dominated, excellent performance. Reilly, Smith and Morgan brilliant, Sutton doing his job really well too. Stelios & Irvine impressive in the full back positions, McGinn and McShane controlling things.

Now to give to Ton another pasting...

19 hours ago, Dare said:

Real stuff starts tomorrow ......... lets f*cken do this mob !

COYS !

Couldn't fault any Saints player today but big mention for Sutton who I thought was MOM today.

Lets get right behind this team and enjoy the rollercoaster that is SMFC ! 

Enjoyed that today. Like everyone said, first 20mins we were all over the place. After that we were well in control.

Reilly absolutely superb. Morgan tore their full back a new one. Sutton worked well against Grant.

I've probably been one of his biggest critics but Baird played well today,

How big a joke was lee Miller, came on, fell down every time someone went near him to give them a chance to punt into the box. Imagine Houston encouraging that tactic in 2017...

20 minutes ago, Soctty said:

It was, trust me bud. Spot on with the rest of your post though.

I was at the mercy of saints tv and from the camera angle it looked inconclusive at best, you were in a better position than I to judge and lets face it, it will stand even if it was wrong, but jeezo, how good were we from then on, I reckon that humping ( and in the end it was a humping ) one of our rivals, after going a goal down so early and after our indifferent form leading up to this, earmarks us as true contenders.

And pished idiots like me have a reason to continue to stay up late to watch it.

3 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Loy looked to have landed badly and really hurt himself.

Classy Saints fans thought it was cool to abuse him at close quarters! Idiots.

Definitely a better finish to the half but Falkirk are so quick on the break and always looking dangerous.

Need a higher tempo and to press them higher up the pitch.

I feel for Smith, who is wasted on the wing.

It was only a few that abuse him but he did get a good hand of applause from the fans of W1 when he went off.