St Mirren v Falkirk SPFL Championship. 5/8/17

shull

8 minutes ago, bender rodriguez said:

Apart from his goal how many times did stelios nip in and break down falkirk attacks on left and a few on here say he is not a good defender.  I love the guy him or mcginn mom today!

Both played well but Reilly with a goal and 2 assists was an easy choice for MotM.

On 01/08/2017 at 5:17 PM, Jimmy H said:

Fly into Paisley Airport Saturday morning, back to Jersey Sunday lunchtime (along with TPAFKA J2], really looking forward to this one.

3-1 to the mighty buds.

I refer you to this post, what a day/ night still going strong , grreat seeing you again after all these years Balfy ( Yflab) love you fella  ❤️ 

Edited by Jimmy H

Apart from his goal how many times did stelios nip in and break down falkirk attacks on left and a few on here say he is not a good defender.  I love the guy him or mcginn mom today!

I have not read a single comment about his defensive ability this season.

Certainly last season a number of people felt his offensive play was better than his defensive ability, which Jack Ross seemed to agree with.

Yesterday, he seemed to be taking on board the coaches instructions and was a better player for it.

At one point there was a great opportunity for him to play a 1-2 and break forward.

He played the 1... ... then stopped dead in his tracks and refused to cross the half way line.

I thought he should have gone for it... But I reckon he was following instructions.

With Eckersley on the bench it was the perfect time for Stelios to have such a great all round game.

My favourite part of the match was the reaction of Stelios to Smiths goal... The passion was tangible. Loved it.

I have not read a single comment about his defensive ability this season.

Certainly last season a number of people felt his offensive play was better than his defensive ability, which Jack Ross seemed to agree with.

Yesterday, he seemed to be taking on board the coaches instructions and was a better player for it.

At one point there was a great opportunity for him to play a 1-2 and break forward.

He played the 1... ... then stopped dead in his tracks and refused to cross the half way line.

I thought he should have gone for it... But I reckon he was following instructions.

With Eckersley on the bench it was the perfect time for Stelios to have such a great all round game.

My favourite part of the match was the reaction of Stelios to Smiths goal... The passion was tangible. Loved it.

You may not be that way inclined with Rory Loy , but I think you've got a wee thing for Stelios ? [emoji182]

To be fair, if Stelios was an opposition player, to a man we'd detest him. He's an utter bastard, always up to something to get under the skin of the opposition. I wouldn't be surprised if he drew the red card yesterday by saying something or doing something to warrant a response. 

As it is though, I love the guy. We need a nasty side and Stelios is definitely our bad boy. A constant annoyance as a personality and no shortage of talent. What a guy. 

Quick look through the posts, and a lot of people highlighting good performances from all over the pitch, but don't think I saw anyone mention Irvine, so I wanted to give him a mention. Personally I would have given him man of the match yesterday. He made 3 or 4 absolutely crucial interceptions, didn't let anyone past him, and was incredibly composed at the back when under pressure. He did the dirty work that complemented the more eye-catching play from McGinn, Reilly and others.

That was very pleasing.

The opening 20 mins were shocking and we could have been more than one behind but once we got a foothold in the game there was only going to be one winner.

Great team performance with everyone working hard and few individual errors.

Can someone tell me why we keep watering the f**king park right before kick off though? The players are out warming up for 20 mins or so getting a feel for the surface and then they come out to something different. Irvine definitely slipped in the lead up to the their goal and it could have been costly.

Otherwise a good day all round and sets up the derby next week.

10 minutes ago, zurich_allan said:

Quick look through the posts, and a lot of people highlighting good performances from all over the pitch, but don't think I saw anyone mention Irvine, so I wanted to give him a mention. Personally I would have given him man of the match yesterday. He made 3 or 4 absolutely crucial interceptions, didn't let anyone past him, and was incredibly composed at the back when under pressure. He did the dirty work that complemented the more eye-catching play from McGinn, Reilly and others.

We were talking about this during the game. Great showing from Irvine.

Reilly undoubtedly MotM, though, and deserves all the plaudits.

Not easy to choose a runner-up, however. Could have been any one of half a dozen.

13 minutes ago, zurich_allan said:

I actually thought Irvine had a pretty torrid first 15-20 mins, and while Samson takes the majority of the blame, Irvine (along with McKenzie and Stelios) didn't exactly cover himself in glory at their goal. After that though he was excellent, as were the rest of the defence. It shows excellent character to turn it round like that when things are going badly.

Great performance from the whole squad yesterday, but in typical st mirren fashion we all go to crappilow with high hopes and bang back to reality, that's what generally happens with us, but I think under this new management and squad of players we have hopefully will all change, think we will now take a sizeable crowd after yesterday's result.:D

It is satisfying to confirm from the goals video clip that the Stelios goal most certainly wasn't 'out of nothing'.

I await the return of Top Cat with a frank acknowledgement of his error in this regard.

I fear it might be a long wait. Tick tock, indeed....

Edited by Drew

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

It is satisfying to confirm from the goals video clip that the Stelios goal most certainly wasn't 'out of nothing'.

I await the return of Top Cat with a frank acknowledgement of his error in this regard.

I fear it might be a long wait. Tick tock, indeed....

Don't you think that TC was indicating that until our first goal we were floundering, as has been pretty much agreed by the majority, hence his point our first goal came out of nothing?

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Don't you think that TC was indicating that until our first goal we were floundering, as has been pretty much agreed by the majority, hence his point our first goal came out of nothing?

We were playing well in the 5 minutes leading up to the goal. As I posted yesterday, it was coming.

The very fact that the goal came from an excellent pass by Reilly, whereas TC claimed it was a break of the ball or something to that effect, further confirms his tiresome tendency to downplay positives to further his bizarre agenda.