Vuelta 2017 - I'm red al(red)y!

Bud the Baker

Right well Froome's entry confirmed, probably similar to last year in that Sky's Vuelta9 will not be quite as strong as their Tour9 but it won't be weak.

The 2017 Vuelta a España (August 19 – September 10) start list has yet to be announced in its entirety, but will be filled with some high-profile names coming off the back of the Tour de France.

Chris Froome (Team Sky) is likely to go into the race as the favourite to win the red jersey, having previously fallen short in the Spanish Grand Tour. Froome has finished three times finished second at the Vuelta, and is known to be keen to add the race to his palmarès.

Froome will face a challenge from many of the same riders that he went up against at the Tour, with Rigoberto Uran (Cannondale-Drapac), Romain Bardet (Ag2r La Mondiale), Fabio Aru (Astana) and Alberto Contador (Trek-Segafredo) all likely to take to the start line in Nîmes.

>>> Vuelta a España 2017 route: key climbs and what to expect

There are also a few GC contenders who come to the Vuelta having ridden the Giro d’Italia rather than the Tour, including Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain-Merida) and Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha-Alpecin), although Giro winner Tom Dumoulin (Team Sunweb) will not be in attendance.

Aside from Froome there will be British interest in both of the Yates twins, the first time Simon and Adam will have competed in the same Grand Tour since the 2015 Tour de France.

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/vuelta-a-espana/vuelta-espana-start-list-273764#dVkvQuumLvR5Qzde.99

No reason to think any of the riders whom he beat on Le Tour will pose him problems apart from Uran. Wee Nibbles who was third in the Giro should be there or thereabouts but as a dark horse I'd like to throw in Esteban Chaves who according to some was just riding the tour as a warm up :wacko: he's not got much form this season but if he's made this race his main target I'd rate him far more likely than either of the Yates twins - main problem might be getting Orica-Scott to ride as a team.

As ever the Vuelta looks a tough course with 8 summit finishes the hardest being the Angry Lou on the penultimate stage but against that there's a decent time trial where you'd expect Froomey to take 2-212mins off most of his GC rivals with the exception of Uran. Hopefully it'll go to that final mountain stage.

Here's one for the sprinters.......:fishwallop

Edited by Bud the Baker

13 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

I'd like to Thomas fit enough to start the tour - has anyone ever crashed out of all three in the same season emoji15.png

I can't remember if anyone has crashed out of all 3 Tours but it will be very interesting to see if Froomey can do the Tour/Vuelta double since that hasn't been done since Hinault in 1978 I think . .:)

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 8:06 AM, saintnextlifetime said:

I can't remember if anyone has crashed out of all 3 Tours but it will be very interesting to see if Froomey can do the Tour/Vuelta double since that hasn't been done since Hinault in 1978 I think . .:)

IIRC the Vuelta was the first of the "Big 3" back then (& up until the mid '90's) - in fact according to Wiki :) it overlapped the Giro that year. I'm just kinda guessing here but I'm not sure if team tactics were as well developed back then as they are now when the peleton knows how much leeway they can give a breakaway as is evident by the fact that they are regularly caught with about 2km to go.

If anyone can do it though it'll be Froome & the Mighty, Mighty Bosstones Skyteam!

9 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

IIRC the Vuelta was the first of the "Big 3" back then (& up until the mid '90's) - in fact according to Wiki :) it overlapped the Giro that year. I'm just kinda guessing here but I'm not sure if team tactics were as well developed back then as they are now when the peleton knows how much leeway they can give a breakaway as is evident by the fact that they are regularly caught with about 2km to go.

If anyone can do it though it'll be Froome & the Mighty, Mighty Bosstones Skyteam!

I reckon team tactics were well developed back in the day but I would also say that the tactics have evolved to include the the one they have now whereby someone goes to the front and then peals off for the next guy and so on. 

Back in Hinault's day , he would sometimes use the dominance of his personality to control the race . Once , Robert Millar went off the front and Hinault went chasing after him . When Hinault caught him he said something like "what are you doing attacking me , you've made my legs hurt" .:mellow:

I think the biggest change is how good race radio is these days , that is a major factor in controlling the race and allowing the timed chase down you mention. If race radio had been around in 1984 , Robert Millar would have won the Vuelta d Espania that year. .

20 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

I reckon team tactics were well developed back in the day but I would also say that the tactics have evolved to include the the one they have now whereby someone goes to the front and then peals off for the next guy and so on. 

Back in Hinault's day , he would sometimes use the dominance of his personality to control the race . Once , Robert Millar went off the front and Hinault went chasing after him . When Hinault caught him he said something like "what are you doing attacking me , you've made my legs hurt" .:mellow:

I think the biggest change is how good race radio is these days , that is a major factor in controlling the race and allowing the timed chase down you mention. If race radio had been around in 1984 , Robert Millar would have won the Vuelta d Espania that year. .

That's what I meant - modern technology allows the peloton to keep the breakaway within catching distance nowadays. The best chance for an average rider to win is to escape as the breakaway is swept up and hope that there is some confusion in the peloton.

I agree with you about Ms. York he was well and truly shafted that day. :angry:

3 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

That's what I meant - modern technology allows the peloton to keep the breakaway within catching distance nowadays. The best chance for an average rider to win is to escape as the breakaway is swept up and hope that there is some confusion in the peloton.

I agree with you about Mr  Millar he was well and truly shafted that day. :angry:

Yeah that is why I like to see any riders from these islands do well as the continentals always seemed to collude against our guys in days gone by . I need to take my hat off to Roche and Kelly too . I met Roche in Edinburgh one day a few years ago when Wiggo was still a junior , Roche is a top block with a fantastic sense of humour. .B)

4 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Yeah that is why I like to see any riders from these islands do well as the continentals always seemed to collude against our guys in days gone by . I need to take my hat off to Roche and Kelly too . I met Roche in Edinburgh one day a few years ago when Wiggo was still a junior , Roche is a top block with a fantastic sense of humour. .B)

Go on then...............Image result for tin foil hat

Relatively short stage this year at 74 miles but the second half will be torture on legs that will already be tired from the previous 19 days.

Out of the 6 times the Angrilu has been climbed the winner has won the red jersey 3 times and although Horner was second in 2013 it was effectively the deciding stage for him.

Froome will remember it from 2011 when Cobo rode away from him and the Modfather Bradley Wiggins.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Alberto Contador has announced that he will retire after this race.

I know he's said so before but I reckon this will be the time.

Don't see him  being a serious contender (sic) for the red jersey but he'll certainly want to make a few headlines so hopefully we can look forward to some aggressive (in the good sense) riding from him - love to see him go out with a stage win on the Angry Lou! 

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 hour ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Went off the Conductor (sic) after the Shrek incident (sic) and also the way the UCI (sic) engineered his return to the TDF after his ban made me sick . .

We've been over this ground before - I don't think the leaders jersey should allow you any privileges.

Anyway, Contador has been "box office" throughout his career and I'll miss him.

Guest TPAFKATS
Went off the Conductor (sic) after the Shrek incident (sic) and also the way the UCI (sic) engineered his return to the TDF after his ban made me sick . .

Hope you weren't running a 400m final the next day...

Sammy Sanchez (BMC) out after failing drug test last week. :red

BMC have provisionally suspended Samuel Sanchez after he tested positive for a growth hormone.

The former Olympic champion, tested positive for GHRP-2 in an out-of-competition test on August 9th and in a press statement, BMC said:  “BMC Racing Team was notified on Thursday, 17 August by the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) of a potential anti-doping violation for the presence of GHRP-2 and its metabolite, in an out-of-race anti-doping control for Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez.

“In accordance with BMC Racing Team’s zero tolerance policy and UCI regulation, Sanchez has been provisionally suspended with immediate effect. Until the results of the B sample are provided, no further action will be taken.

“All riders and staff are held to the highest ethical standard and BMC Racing Team is extremely disappointed to share this news on the eve of the Vuelta a España.”

The 39-year old has been replaced with Loïc Vliegen in BMC's La Vuelta team and is expected to retire at the end of the season.