Vuelta 2017 - I'm red al(red)y!

Bud the Baker

2km to go and I think we've seen who the GC contenders (sadly not Contador) are gonna be.....................

1. Nibali

2. De La Cruz

3. Froome

Froome in red and he doesn't often lose once he's in front. BMC & Orica-Scott (should be Chaves) have got to decide now who going to be their top rider. Aru & Nibali still in contention but even this early I'd discount everyone else.

Edited by Bud the Baker

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

2km to go and I think we've seen who the GC contenders (sadly not Contador) are gonna be.....................

1. Nibali

2. De La Cruz

3. Froome

Froome in red and he doesn't often lose once he's in front. BMC & Orica-Scott (should be Chaves) have got to decide now who going to be their top rider. Aru & Nibali still in contention but even this early I'd discount everyone else.

Indeed. .

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

Nibbling should be fresher having not raced Le Tour. Not sure how strong his team is though?

I think Nibbles will only be a contender if something goes awry with Froomey . Nibbles is good but he just isnae that good. .

Wee Berti has passed his best , he had his peak whilst under the influence . .

Guest TPAFKATS
I think Nibbles will only be a contender if something goes awry with Froomey . Nibbles is good but he just isnae that good. .

Wee Berti has passed his best , he had his peak whilst under the influence . .

Think I'll stick a couple of quid on Landa to win and wait on Froome falling off.

20 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Yeah and although there's no more "killer" stages before the first rest day there's a few that offer opportunities for the GC contadors especially with time bonuses available. 

Just coming up to the sprint and 15km to the finish with the peloton 7mins behind - dunno why I bother! <_<

Congrats to the breakaway especially Lutsenko for the stage win - always good to see breakaway riders being rewarded! :clapping

As for the GC Sky pushed it along for the bulk of the day but they only have one objective Red for Froome in Madrid and when there was no danger to that they sat up - like I said not a killer stage but with the sharp finish at the end of 175km there was an opportunity for guys like Bardet to snatch a few secs in bonuses.  

Last km for the peloton - km to go
17:49
Gianni Moscon (Team Sky) sets the pace and Froome snatches more time from his rivals with the exception of Chaves.
FFS!
Edited by Bud the Baker

20 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Froome in the form of his life - it's only a month or so ago that the situation was reversed and it was the Froomster himself who couldn't handle a crazy last km at the end of a stage in the TdF.

As mentioned earlier , I'm now convinced that Froome has planned this season around winning the Vuelta and the Tour . Froome is a very intelligent guy and has been given great advice about when to come to his season peak . Froome still has a long way to go to victory but barring a calamity , the guy has the experience and the strength to win it. .

Guest TPAFKATS
Froome in the form of his life - it's only a month or so ago that the situation was reversed and it was the Froomster himself who couldn't handle a crazy last km at the end of a stage in the TdF.

Aye, he's recovered well from the tour [emoji41]

1 hour ago, saintnextlifetime said:

As mentioned earlier , I'm now convinced that Froome has planned this season around winning the Vuelta and the Tour . Froome is a very intelligent guy and has been given great advice about when to come to his season peak . Froome still has a long way to go to victory but barring a calamity , the guy has the experience and the strength to win it. .

Agreed, you certainly can't fault his preparations.

On the last climb and wee Bertie attacks the only GC contador to go with him is Froome - still bonus secs available for the sprint and the finish! :rolleyes: 

Looks like it's gonna be another day similar to yesterday with the breakaway guys getting rewarded! :clapping

Chaves & a few other of the GC guys made it back up to Froome & Contador but most'll be (even more) losing time.

Came back together on the descent only Van Garderen who crashed & Simon Yates lost time but once again Froome looking smart & strong.

Chaves up to second, Van Garderen down to fourth, Bardet out of contention.

Edited by Bud the Baker

4 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Just watched ITV4 coverage of yesterday's stage with Adam Yates remarkably chirpy for a rider in 8th and not liable to finish much higher.

Today's stage seems relatively low key with 50km and a Cat3 climb to come.

Mon the Breakaway!

Image result for breakaway biscuit

Aye everything to play for still and yer pal wee Berti  still contending even if your post does take the biscuit. .:P

Barguil out! :o

Warren Barguil, who was sitting 13th on GC, won't participate in stage 8 of La Vuelta 2017. Team Sunweb announced this morning they asked the young French climber, winner of two stages during the last Tour de France, to leave the race. “Warren Barguil openly expressed that he didn't race conform to the team's goal, which left Team Sunweb with no other option than to take this decision”, a press release states. Barguil didn't wait for his leader Wilco Kelderman when he suffered a puncture yesterday on the way to Cuenca. “I see myself in different a role and am eager to attack in the mountains”, Barguil said.

Wasn't really a threat for the GC but could have affected the outcome as he was intending to attack in the mountains.

Edited by Bud the Baker

17 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Barguil out! :o

Wasn't really a threat for the GC but could have affected the outcome as he was intending to attack in the mountains.

Aye a strange one for wee warren to do but it is a team sport and obviously the team felt they could do without the wee fellahs services . No doubt he will be away home with a handsome package in his hip. .

Just back from SMP and judging by the stage results there ain't no stoppin' Froome now.

Another good day for the breakaway guys! :clapping

Last stage before the rest day tomorrow and again not a killer stage but a nasty little finish.

Prediction - Froome to extend his lead over his GC rivals.

Just a pity wee Berti had that bad day or this year's race could've been a classic. 

Edited by Bud the Baker

Froome , Froome indeed , good attack on the hills yesterday but the camera work on the Vuelta s never as good as the Tour. The guys at the front were doing some decent work yesterday but we didn't always see it and were reliant on Ned and co to keep us posted . .

l'll be surprised if Froome doesn't win this now despite the valliant efforts yesterday of wee Berti. .