Vuelta 2017 - I'm red al(red)y!

Bud the Baker

3 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Froome , Froome indeed , good attack on the hills yesterday but the camera work on the Vuelta s never as good as the Tour. The guys at the front were doing some decent work yesterday but we didn't always see it and were reliant on Ned and co to keep us posted . .

l'll be surprised if Froome doesn't win this now despite the valliant efforts yesterday of wee Berti. .

Yup, wins today's stage from Chaves so will increase his lead.

Only Chaves within a minute of vroom, vroom!

Guest TPAFKATS
Sean Kelly was a great cyclist and a very genuine individual but I have to admit that I sometimes struggle to understand his accent. .

He's a good co commentator these days, when he's in the mood. Quite dry sense of humour as well.

Really the writings been on the wall since Stage 3 and with 2-212  mins to in the bank from the ITT he's effectively got over three minutes to play with on the road stages and really who's gonna claw that back. Special mention to Sky's Gianni Moscon the domestique supreme

On a personal note it's nice to see wee Berti in the Top 10 and Adam Hansen (112th) well on his way to completing his nineteenth Grand Tour in a row.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Aye , today was the day for slips, trips and falls and even a bit of blatant thuggery (I haven't seen that at a pro race for a long time) . Wee Berti put on a good show for the home fans and proved that even a cheat can make good viewing. Froome went on to prove why he is the top pro winning the race.

Guest TPAFKATS
Aye , today was the day for slips, trips and falls and even a bit of blatant thuggery (I haven't seen that at a pro race for a long time) . Wee Berti put on a good show for the home fans and proved that even a cheat can make good viewing. Froome went on to prove why he is the top pro winning the race.

Pretty disappointing that even when Froome slips up (literally) the others can't make significant gains

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

Pretty disappointing that even when Froome slips up (literally) the others can't make significant gains

It would appear to be poor organisation from the opposition . Going back to the days of Wiggo's win of the Tour , Sky have been consistently good at organisation which ultimately is the work of Brailsford . When Richie Port left I thought it would be a major blow for them but they seem to be able to adapt fairly quickly and ride out the challenges . .

I thought wee Bardet would have done better per his Tour performance but it hasn't really happened for him. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

Not as large a winning margin as I expected for Froome yesterday but he's still extended his lead and now only Nibali is within 2mins (just).

A few tricky stages left including the Angry Lou on the penultimate day but with the help of his team Froome's been best on the climbs as well so it'll take something pretty spectacular to prevent him ending up with an orange jersey.

Stage 17 - Froome loses 40 secs to Nibali to keep the race alive.

2 hilly stages and then the "killer" final up the Angry Lew looks like the race organizers have got the finish they want! :clapping

Stage 18 - Great team performance by Sky and Froome regains 20 seconds from Nibali.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Stage 19 - another hilly one but the last 15km is downhill after a Cat3 climb. Would be surprised to see any movement in the GC standings but in this Tour you never know. A mega break of 27 riders is 15 mins ahead but none from Sky. They'll all be taking the strain for Froomey - at 32-y-o he's approaching senior stage of his career but if any rivals fancy taking him on in a Grand Tour then they're gonna have to revamp their strategy 'cos at the moment Chris is The Daddy.

Edited by Bud the Baker

• 3 months later...

Race winner & well known asthma sufferer Chris Froome has apparently exceeded the permissible limit for Salbutamol (used to treat the condition) during Stage 18 in the race.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/dec/13/chris-froome-team-sky-reputation-abnormal-drug-test

Froome said: “It is well known that I have asthma and I know exactly what the rules are. I use an inhaler to manage my symptoms (always within the permissible limits) and I know for sure that I will be tested every day I wear the race leader’s jersey.

“My asthma got worse at the Vuelta so I followed the team doctor’s advice to increase my Salbutamol dosage. As always, I took the greatest care to ensure that I did not use more than the permissible dose.

“I take my leadership position in my sport very seriously. The UCI is absolutely right to examine test results and, together with the team, I will provide whatever information it requires.”

Edited by Bud the Baker

3 hours ago, smcc said:

There is no evidence that inhaled beta-adrenergic drugs(including salbutamol) produce any performance-enhancing effect.  Indeed, overuse is likely to produce tremor, headache and rapid or irregular heart rate.

Correct . Of all the asthma drugs tested any performance benefit would be entirely questionable. The continentals do not like Brits winning their race , they even went as far as to cheat Robert Millar out of it. . f**k'em