Football Fans and Behaviour

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

what gets on my tits are a new generation of youngsters following us who act like some sort of wannabee 'firm' when they get together in a group and seemingly think its OK to act like cunts.

I can exclusively confirm that around 40-45 years ago myself and a few others on here got together in a group before and after most games and acted , fairly regularly , like cunts. There's a natural progression ! Did you turn a blind eye in the 70s ?

5 hours ago, billyg said:

I can exclusively confirm that around 40-45 years ago myself and a few others on here got together in a group before and after most games and acted , fairly regularly , like cunts. There's a natural progression ! Did you turn a blind eye in the 70s ?

I was too busy dodging bottles in the 70s to turn my eye anywhere. I can catagorically say that as a teenager, and into my 20s, I went to St Mirren games with my mate or on my own, we were never part of a bigger group, never got rat-arsed and offended passengers on trains, never looked for 'LSD' style trouble with opposing fans, or anything like it. Never, not once. I did once smuggle a can of Tennents into a home game and sneaked it down my throat amongst the North Bank fence area throng. I sang songs. Just a bloke at the football.

Did I turn a blind eye in the 70s? I was a teenager in the 70s. Maybe blokes in their 50s and beyond back in the 70s were disgusted by the antics of those my age who DID go to the football and acted like cnuts. You'd need to ask them.

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I was too busy dodging bottles in the 70s to turn my eye anywhere. I can catagorically say that as a teenager, and into my 20s, I went to St Mirren games with my mate or on my own, we were never part of a bigger group, never got rat-arsed and offended passengers on trains, never looked for 'LSD' style trouble with opposing fans, or anything like it. Never, not once. I did once smuggle a can of Tennents into a home game and sneaked it down my throat amongst the North Bank fence area throng. I sang songs. Just a bloke at the football.

Did I turn a blind eye in the 70s? I was a teenager in the 70s. Maybe blokes in their 50s and beyond back in the 70s were disgusted by the antics of those my age who DID go to the football and acted like cnuts. You'd need to ask them.

Yes , but you were sounding of abut the young cunts of today as if it was something new. It's always been there , and it will never change !

1 minute ago, billyg said:

Yes , but you were sounding of abut the young cunts of today as if it was something new. It's always been there , and it will never change !

No, I know it's nothing new, but as I am now officially an old fart, I am duty bound to turn into my dad and tut-tut at these whippersnappers today with their funny aromatic smokes and legal highs. I tell you, back in my day....

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Bumped this up to the top after todays events at Cappielow.

Early in the second half, one of our "fans" made a racist slur against Quitongo. I challenged him about it. No apology. Then, other fans near me, rather than challenging what he said, rounded on me, comments.  like "he gets the picture", let's move on", and "we've got the pc brigade in here".

So here's a question to all buddies. Should we challenge racism and other discrimination when we see it? And if we should why did fellow buds make me feel like I was the one in the wrong?

6 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Early in the second half, one of our "fans" made a racist slur against Quitongo. I challenged him about it. No apology. Then, other fans near me, rather than challenging what he said, rounded on me, comments.  like "he gets the picture", let's move on", and "we've got the pc brigade in here".

So here's a question to all buddies. Should we challenge racism and other discrimination when we see it? And if we should why did fellow buds make me feel like I was the one in the wrong?

Shocking but not surprising.

We have a core element that are stuck in the days when this sort of shit was acceptable.

This is part of the reason the recent "high jinks" on the train was seen as ok by some..............."We done worse in our day" was the response.

You were in the right, unfortunately not enough around you were prepared to support you.

Edited by faraway saint

14 minutes ago, Hendo said:

We were talking in the car journey back about this.

I didn't hear anything, although I think it's shocking and embarrassing that people think that it is acceptable. 

15 minutes ago, Hendo said:

All depend on how big he is :boxing  Also getting into a fight could see you get a ban from the ground :(

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Similar happened away to Dundee United last season but it was homophobic shouts aimed at the United keeper. 

No idea of his persuasion but he got it off some of our fans. Someone shouted at them but it continued. 

Have also heard many sectarian shouts at our games. 

All poor and we're no different from any other club (doesn't make it ok).

Edited by davidg

1 minute ago, davidg said:

Similar happened away to Dundee United last season but it was homophobic shouts aimed at the United keeper. 

No idea of his persuasion but he got it of some fans. Someone shouted at them but it continued. 

I've said the same for years yet "we" (Some of our support) immediately point and laugh at any other support who act in an unacceptable manner.

Makes me laugh, in a "god give me strength" way.

1 hour ago, davidg said:

No idea of his persuasion but he got it of some fans. Someone shouted at them but it continued. 

Its not really a surprise we dont have an openly gay footballer in the UK, given some of the morons who go to games.

Of course you should challenge that, and we should do everything possible to get scum like that banned from entering football stadiums.

Those around you sound like a right bunch of pricks.

Thankfully I can say I never heard any racist abuse from the Saints support.  I wouldn't think twice about challenging it, and they wouldn't be talking about any PC brigade.  I assume the moment you are talking about was when Quitongo's run nearly took him behind the goal in to the stand, so I can guess who the crowd around you are.

Who said anything about getting into a fight? :blink:
If more "challenged" these morons there would be no need for a fight. :hammer

What if the morons decide he didn't like you pulling him up and starts throwing punches at you. If you punch back you are then in a fight like it or not. Easy to say challenged idiots but you have got to consider your own safety.

Just now, renfrew said:

What if the morons decide he didn't like you pulling him up and starts throwing punches at you. If you punch back you are then in a fight like it or not. Easy to say challenged idiots but you have got to consider your own safety.

Then I defend my self and hurt him, in self defence.

Anyhow, if the majority call him out it's less likely he'll throw anything, especially if his close circle tell him to shut the feck up.

Overall today I thought the fans behind the goal were great in supporting the team. Sad to read that some of our support seem stuck in the past on issues like race, sexuality,sectarianism etc. Glad to say that this is a minority. 

Edited by St.Ricky

2 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Overall today I thought the fans behind the goal were great in supporting the team. Sad to read that some of our support seem stuck in the past on issues like race, sexuality,sectarianism etc. Glad to say that this is a minority. 

This "minority" is probably the truth but not as much as is portrayed going by the response to the crowd when someone had the audacity to challenge this moron.

Then I defend my self and hurt him, in self defence.
Anyhow, if the majority call him out it's less likely he'll throw anything, especially if his close circle tell him to shut the feck up.

You would still be in a fight and likely get a ban from the ground, oh wait you wouldn't noted [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Sad to say it didn't feel like a minority today. The comment was clear, many other people must have heard it, yet no-one else challenged, indeed I was the one who other fans rounded on. Shameful behaviour.