Formation possibilities

Given our abject performances v Livi and Thistle with one up front and the subsequent upturn with Sutton joining Reilly against Airdrie I imagine we'll go 4-4-2 again on Saturday. I still worry a bit that we're a little too easy to run through with only 4 in the middle and that might be an issue against the better sides.

Is it possible with four decent centre backs now we could move to a back three and drop an extra man in the middle against certain teams?

Stelios could be a real threat as a wing back and it would allow Smith to move back into the middle behind the front two.

Decent option or unnecessary tinkering in a Ranieri-esque sort of way?[emoji1]

Reckon  we will some sort of variation of a 4 - 2 - 4 , which will involve McShane and McGinn playing in the middle and taking turns at supporting the two strikers , Magennis and Morgan will be the first choice wide players , and Suttton , Reilly , Hilson , Kirkpatrick , Stewart and Smith will fight for the two positions up front , I think theres enough quality about the squad to put a decent starting eleven out , lets open we get formation right and hit the form we ended last season with asap .

1 minute ago, DLBud said:

You're now the top contributor to the thread. emoji23.pngNothing special in that though given how much pish you spout.

Me pish is more exciting than a fecking Thread about Team Formations :lol:

Born to skim :D

And dinnae be cheeky.:double

5 minutes ago, Scott Stafford said:

I think a 3 man defence could work against the stuffier teams like Livi. Get an extra man in midfield to release Mcginn or mcshane

Don't think we'd suit a back 3 worth a try though, slightly remember us play with a back 3 against thistle under Craig and we punted the ball up up front at every opportunity.

I reckon I'm old fashioned. I like to see a consistent formation and starting 11 that we stick with where at all possible.

I appreciate that injuries and suspensions kick in, but it seems to me that players need to develop an understanding in competitive games over time. Chopping and changing formations can also create confusion and a lack of coherence that opposition teams can exploit.

As things stand (in terms of current personnel), put out a 4-4-2, and try to stick with it.

All that said, it goes without saying that I'm completely clueless, so best ignored.

• 3 weeks later...

Back three worked well today, especially as only 1 was a CB. I think this could work for us going forward with McKenzie/Davis in there and it allowed Stelios to be........well Stelios.

Shull this is fitba' talk mate. You can just skim.[emoji23]

Back three worked well today, especially as only 1 was a CB. I think this could work for us going forward with McKenzie/Davis in there and it allowed Stelios to be........well Stelios.

Shull this is fitba' talk mate. You can just skim.[emoji23]

We played most of the game with 4 at the back.

1 minute ago, DLBud said:

Yeah but for the half hour or so with 11 men I felt we were the better side. We looked solid defensively and got forward we'll down both sides.

I 'd agree with that. It's good to have that option.

4 hours ago, DLBud said:

Shull this is fitba' talk mate. You can just sleep.emoji23.png

Within seconds :snore

Yeah but for the half hour or so with 11 men I felt we were the better side. We looked solid defensively and got forward we'll down both sides.

It was 1-1 with 11 players playing with 3 at the back. It was 0-2 playing with 10 players and 4 at the back.

That indicates to me that we were better playing with the back 4.