World Athletics Championships 2017

shull

Just now, faraway saint said:

You could aim that at anyone who hits a seasons best.

As far as I'm concerned he's been punished, I don't go with the pack baying for further punishment and, as I said, there would next to no mention IF he hadn't beaten Bolt.

Agree . Indeed the occasion was enough to bring out a PB from all concerned.

IF Gatlin had been any other 35 year old achieving that feat , the news , papers, meedja would have been filled with glowing stories about human endeavour , he would be the poster boy for Sanatogen  & SAGA holidays and be set up for life...... and rightly so.

Heres the rub though , he is NOT any 35 year old. He is a proven drug cheat. Like the Russians were thrown out , so should he and all other who get caught. 

Footnote, did you see the pre-games medal ceremonies for the athletes who had been denied medals as a result of cheating athletes in previous games ?  Lets hope the next Olympics dont have to start with a similar ceremony as a result of events at this championship.  

3 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Agree . Indeed the occasion was enough to bring out a PB from all concerned.

IF Gatlin had been any other 35 year old achieving that feat , the news , papers, meedja would have been filled with glowing stories about human endeavour , he would be the poster boy for Sanatogen  & SAGA holidays and be set up for life...... and rightly so.

Heres the rub though , he is NOT any 35 year old. He is a proven drug cheat. Like the Russians were thrown out , so should he and all other who get caught. 

Footnote, did you see the pre-games medal ceremonies for the athletes who had been denied medals as a result of cheating athletes in previous games ?  Lets hope the next Olympics dont have to start with a similar ceremony as a result of events at this championship.  

A good move and deserving these athletes get some public recognition.

Who knows what will happen in the future, the authorities make the rules, the athletes, with or without any previous, work within the rules.

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

A good move and deserving these athletes get some public recognition.

Who knows what will happen in the future, the authorities make the rules, the athletes, with or without any previous, work within the rules.

Great move to recognise these athletes achievements .

I heard one of the co-commentators say they had received their belated Medal in a box given to them in a Car park !!

Not in agreement with the furore about Gatlin.
His previous is well documented, done his time so no need to hammer him JUST because he beat Bolt.
The BBC are highlighting his drug bans at every opportunity.
The crowd were also, IMO, unfair with their booing every time the camera closed in on Gatlin.
If Bolt had won there would have been next to no mention about his previous.

Let's face it if they let him run, then he might have the temerity to win. Gatlan , drugs ban, Blake, drugs ban. If you let these guys compete, take the consequences.
The broadcasters, the establishment masses didn't get the result they wanted, ho hum de dum.
Gabby Logan et al, clueless chattering media talking heads. Only one that talks sense is Michael Johnston.
Now, cmon Hawkins, move it boyo

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Disappointing.

Went out early but never maintained the pace to take the steam from her rivals.

Brave attempt but she'll hopefully learn from this race.

Thank you, Sebastian Coe. :byebye

Guest TPAFKATS

Absolute f**king car crash tv as gabby logan and 3 ex athletes bully and harangue some poor medical wummin from the IAAF about a Botswana athlete being prevented from running the 400m final due to him having suspected Norovirus.

Absolute f**king car crash tv as gabby logan and 3 ex athletes bully and harangue some poor medical wummin from the IAAF about a Botswana athlete being prevented from running the 400m final due to him having suspected Norovirus.

The pundits didn't handle it well, but there is an important point here, in that the IAAF protocols in this type of situation are clearly lacking. Very shoddy and amateur from them.

Whilst it is absolutely correct that a suspected case of norovirus is isolated, what they SHOULD have done does not take a rocket scientist to work out:

1. Athlete presents himself to IAAF medical personnel, gives a single account of what has happened.

2. IAAF medical staff should have immediately asked for Botswana medical personnel and athlete's direct team to attend and corroborate the version told and ascertain additional context.

3. Decision made following second opinion of additional doctor in presence of original doctor and Botswana officials.

4. Joint statement prepared, fully outlining the situation, and communicated to officials and media.

Again, this really is not rocket science, it's basic, simple, fair procedure.

Instead, what we got was an absolute IAAF clusterf*ck where it is crystal clear that the IAAF had a shoddy, uncorroborated account, and a lack of basic communication.

So again, ultimately probably the right decision, but the IAAF are clearly incompetent with what should be a simple situation and ARE the cause of the controversy that happened as a result.

2 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

The question should have been asked about what would have happened if it was Sir Mohammed whose insides were erupting.  Would he be prevented from taking part purely to save others from gastro intestinal destruction?

I wouldn't bother if I were you. I tried it once, it's not all it's cracked up to be. Come join me in the world of ignorance and bliss where it doesn't matter what you think or believe, you're always right, even if it contradicts other things you, or others, think or believe, which are, weirdly, also right. Contraryland is great. [emoji4]

No it's not. Oh, hang on...

:)

I'm not sure what happened here as this is the first I've heard about it but, even though it seems a fair way to do things, are you not assuming that there was time to do all that before banning him from participating.

Maybe it's already been made clear that there was time. As I said, first I've heard about it. Maybe I should have went and read about it before posting this but I'll risk my reputation for fair, balanced and knowledgeable posts on this occasion. [emoji4]

They had loads of time to sort it out properly, the original visit to the medic was the previous day. I'd understand if it was a last minute thing and they had to make a split second diagnosis and decision. But it wasn't, and so it quickly became apparent that the IAAF procedure is not fit for purpose. I was quite surprised at how poorly they handled the incident from start to finish. Hopefully they learn and take their responsibilities a bit more seriously and professionally in the future.

They have to realise that this isn't a case of Joe Blogs being kept off of work then popping back in. This was one of the two best athletes in his field, at the peak of his career, at the world championships. This is something a top class athlete might only have the opportunity to be competitive at a handful of times, sometimes only once in their career. For this reason the IAAF have a real duty to have procedures that might result in an athlete's forced withdrawal absolutely watertight to ensure fairness for all concerned.

Guest TPAFKATS

They had loads of time to sort it out properly, the original visit to the medic was the previous day. I'd understand if it was a last minute thing and they had to make a split second diagnosis and decision. But it wasn't, and so it quickly became apparent that the IAAF procedure is not fit for purpose. I was quite surprised at how poorly they handled the incident from start to finish. Hopefully they learn and take their responsibilities a bit more seriously and professionally in the future.

They have to realise that this isn't a case of Joe Blogs being kept off of work then popping back in. This was one of the two best athletes in his field, at the peak of his career, at the world championships. This is something a top class athlete might only have the opportunity to be competitive at a handful of times, sometimes only once in their career. For this reason the IAAF have a real duty to have procedures that might result in an athlete's forced withdrawal absolutely watertight to ensure fairness for all concerned.

It wouldve been good if the interviewer(s) asked these pertinent questions.

The ex athletes presented themselves as public health experts when in reality they were coming at it from an athlete missing out on potential glory POV.