So farewell then Glen Campbell

Guest TPAFKATS

A great musician and performer. He was a Beach Boy for a while while Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds which he also played guitar on. His session work was legendary across all music styles.

Despite the fact I'm an old hippy musically Wichita Lineman has always been right up there for me as one of the all time great records. RIP.

Hard to quantify the talent this man embodied. Coming  from a totally different place, i think the only remotely comparable talent from the pop era is (was) Prince.  Only one was made.

the yearning in his voice was some thing that could hit you hard, almost too hard.   He played some   of rock's most iconic riffs as a job of work and he was technically immense  as a guitarist.  A mark of the man is that you knew and admired his work long before you knew of him (if you were my age or older).  

A light has gone out

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:06 PM, rabuddies said:

A great musician and performer. He was a Beach Boy for a while while Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds which he also played guitar on. His session work was legendary across all music styles.

Despite the fact I'm an old hippy musically Wichita Lineman has always been right up there for me as one of the all time great records. RIP.

His version of 'God only knows' off the Southern Nights album would make ye greet. He brings a real passion and soul to the lyric that reduces Brian Wilson's rendition to karaoke bar like performance.

Guest TPAFKATS
Heard Billy Sloan on Saturday night talking about this, thought id check it out.

This was on BBC4 on Friday night. I assumed he was 'miming' the pipes with a piper backstage playing the tune.

Glen and his Daughter 

I had the privilege of watching Glen and his daughter Ashley perform Dueling Banjos on his farewell tour.

It was spellbinding.

He was a musical hero of mine and probable the first musical common bond between my late Dad and me.

I have so much admiration for him as a musician... and total respect for his Daughter Ashley having watched how she so sensitively supported him and helped him excel at what he could do even when his Alzheimers meant there were so many things he couldn't do.

Absolutely great man. Thanks to my Mum I grew up on his music and have loved it ever since.

i remember when I was only about 7 playing Where's the Playground Suzie over and over and over again. Loved that song. As others have said Wichita Lineman is probably his most successful song and it is an absolute belter, but I always loved his version of the Joni Mitchell song, Both Sides Now. Absolute voice of an angel the man.