Darryl Duffy

17 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Bloody hell!

Tough crowd to please or what?

I think a couple of you are being rather harsh on a guy who was brought in as a squad player and hasn't had a game simply as we haven't needed him.  I dont know what he was supposed to do with a few minutes on the pitch??

Indeed.

As I have written elsewhere , it's quite obvious that he was brought in as a very affordable,experienced option as cover for Reilly. Reilly stayed fit, and we didn't need him. Then we brought in Mullen, so we can afford to let him go.

Like you, I'm not sure where the caustic comments are coming from.:unsure:

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Indeed.

As I have written elsewhere , it's quite obvious that he was brought in as a very affordable,experienced option as cover for Reilly. Reilly stayed fit, and we didn't need him. Then we brought in Mullen, so we can afford to let him go.

Like you, I'm not sure where the caustic comments are coming from.:unsure:

I'm sure you know where they are coming from but not why!

Bloody hell!
Tough crowd to please or what?
I think a couple of you are being rather harsh on a guy who was brought in as a squad player and hasn't had a game simply as we haven't needed him.  I dont know what he was supposed to do with a few minutes on the pitch??

If you’re referring to my post then I would disagree.

Wasn’t a dig at the player himself but I’m glad he is away because we’re paying him for nothing & would rather that money was spent on a player who is going to play.

12 minutes ago, David Mc said:

Duffy, Stewart, Leitch, Flanagan, O'Keefe, Whyte and McDonald out on loan.   We are the Chelsea of Scotland.  Clearly Fitzy getting us ready for the Champions League. :)

Eric's beaten me to it. Is this a move in the last couple of days?

27 minutes ago, Stevie88 said:

Wasn’t a dig at the player himself but I’m glad he is away because we’re paying him for nothing & would rather that money was spent on a player who is going to play.

Had he been required he would have played, that's the whole point of a squad, they can't all play every week and with the form we are in there isn't much scope for the fringe players to get much game time but they need to be there. Given the likely wage Duffy was on I doubt it will be freeing up anything like the amount required to bring in someone of the calibre likely to dislodge any of the current starting 11. With both Duffy and Stewart away I fully expect Sutton to remain as striking back up now.

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

I'm delighted to pay a player to not play if the reason their not playing is cos Morgan, Smith and Reilly are banging the goals in. Rather that than having to rely on Duffy or someone else to come on and try and rescue a result for us every week.

19 minutes ago, paul torfason said:

if he is fit,and scores loads,why has he not been coming on last 20/30 mins,time will tell if he is rotten as people think

I assume that you are referring to Duffy.

If so, did you miss the fact that we have a 20 goal striker, who is ably assisted in goal scoring terms by an attacking wide midfielder who also has double figures?

Why would we need Duffy to come on for the last 20 or 30 minutes?:blink:

Edited by FTOF

Had he been required he would have played, that's the whole point of a squad, they can't all play every week and with the form we are in there isn't much scope for the fringe players to get much game time but they need to be there. Given the likely wage Duffy was on I doubt it will be freeing up anything like the amount required to bring in someone of the calibre likely to dislodge any of the current starting 11. With both Duffy and Stewart away I fully expect Sutton to remain as striking back up now.

Yeah you’re right he wasn’t required hence why he didn’t play but John Sutton played more minutes & has even scored a league goal.

Hopefully we can sign someone else who has a chance of challenging for game time as Reilly can’t do it alone all season.

If he played then someone else would be left out and they would then become the "waste of a wage". Or do you think that JR should have given him game time just because we are paying him? 11 players (at any one time) on the pitch for 90 minutes = 16.5 man hours per game - you can only split that so many ways.

Jack Ross clearly didn’t fancy Duffy considering the amount of game time he played. Even when Reilly was unavailable or subbed he was practically never used.

Think you’re miss interpreting my point with regards the waste of a wage.

I think it’s pretty obvious you can’t play everyone at the same time but you need a full squad that are capable of doing the business if we’re to win the title.

10 hours ago, Stevie88 said:

Calling someone a total waste of a wage isn't a dig at them?

Right you are...

Anyway, he was here as cover.  Just as Buchanan is in defence.  We didn't need him, we did need Buchanan as we had an injury crisis.  I think JR sees Sutton & Stewart unable to fit in to his system and exclusively to be used for Plan B (pump the ball in to the box).  Thankfully we didn't need to call on Duffy as Reilly has been fit & now we have Mullen as cover.  He should move on with our best wishes.

I only hope the amount of what were heralded as 'great' or 'forward thinking' signings, now left or on loan help Ross and his team learn the folly of filling up your squad with players you subsequently find out arent up to challenging for a jersey.

we ladies and gents are looking at playing next season in the top division, therefor we need players either, obviously capable of playing at that standard, or those currently at or above that standard. We do no favours to Journeymen like Duffy, or younger players who cant step up like Stewart by bringing them in to play U20's football, when the need first team action at the level they can play at.

looking forward to the new signing/s (going by the names suggested) showing how Ross and the club are making a statement of intent by only bringing in players who are already top league quality, or better. Good to see the chairman making just the same statement last week.

maybe that makes the manager, and the chairman as anti St Mirren, as the roasters insist anyone who realises/admits we made mistakes is..? I am sure their will be a few 'superior' saints fans along to confirm this asap.

28 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I only hope the amount of what were heralded as 'great' or 'forward thinking' signings, now left or on loan help Ross and his team learn the folly of filling up your squad with players you subsequently find out arent up to challenging for a jersey.

we ladies and gents are looking at playing next season in the top division, therefor we need players either, obviously capable of playing at that standard, or those currently at or above that standard. We do no favours to Journeymen like Duffy, or younger players who cant step up like Stewart by bringing them in to play U20's football, when the need first team action at the level they can play at.

looking forward to the new signing/s (going by the names suggested) showing how Ross and the club are making a statement of intent by only bringing in players who are already top league quality, or better. Good to see the chairman making just the same statement last week.

maybe that makes the manager, and the chairman as anti St Mirren, as the roasters insist anyone who realises/admits we made mistakes is..? I am sure their will be a few 'superior' saints fans along to confirm this asap.

Football management is an art, a dark art, rather than a science.

All teams sign a mixture of certainties, probables and possibles - Lewis Morgan (the best player in the Championship) is a possible for Celtic, at best a probable. Also as we know too well even certainties do not always work.

A club of our stature will never be able to fill our squad with players who "are already top league quality, or better." unless we have these two with us at the negotiating table.

Image result for don corleone luca brassi