Darryl Duffy

We don't know if he was capable of doing the business as he never really got a chance. There could be numerous reasons why, which have nothing to do with being incapable.

Jack Ross would’ve known what he was capable of, didn’t fancy him, didn’t play him so he’s away. Seems quite straight forward to me.

Calling someone a total waste of a wage isn't a dig at them?
Right you are...
Anyway, he was here as cover.  Just as Buchanan is in defence.  We didn't need him, we did need Buchanan as we had an injury crisis.  I think JR sees Sutton & Stewart unable to fit in to his system and exclusively to be used for Plan B (pump the ball in to the box).  Thankfully we didn't need to call on Duffy as Reilly has been fit & now we have Mullen as cover.  He should move on with our best wishes.

So he wasn’t a waste of a wage? Right you are indeed.

I realise Reilly’s form this season has been exceptional but in the games he’s missed or been taken off Duffy is still hardly used. Few minutes this season to me is a complete waste of a wage. If your definition of that is different fair enough but I’m glad he’s away if we’re not going to use him in the run in.

The manager obviously agrees that his wage could be better used elsewhere the fact he didn’t play him & has now let him go.

28 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Football management is an art, a dark art, rather than a science.

All teams sign a mixture of certainties, probables and possibles - Lewis Morgan (the best player in the Championship) is a possible for Celtic, at best a probable. Also as we know too well even certainties do not always work.

A club of our stature will never be able to fill our squad with players who "are already top league quality, or better." unless we have these two with us at the negotiating table.

Image result for don corleone luca brassi

They dont all work out, and you can learn from that, or repeat desperate mistakes. I reckon Ross will have done the former.

however to question if "The Starman" will probably, possibly make it is a step in the cosmos too far..... The Starman has already landed, he'l win a league medal this season, and be playing champions league next..!

you heard it here first..ish..!

Or Jack knew he was capable but preferred Reilly and anytime Reilly was taken off Jack was changing tactics and a "straight swap" was pointless?

We play with one striker so when u refer to changing tactics you must mean going with no one up front, which has never happened.

I’m obviously does prefer Reilly & rightly so, he’s been an incredible bit of business.

If Jack though Duffy was capable he wouldn’t have let him leave, he obviously doesn’t so he’s away. If we bring in another striker in this transfer window what message do you think that tells us?

Just to be clear, who would you have dropped to play him and when would you have brought him on as a sub?

What you are trying to say equates to saying that it is pointless having a spare wheel as you have only ever used it for a few minutes.

I definitely wouldn’t have dropped anyone for Duffy, if he was good enough, he would’ve had more game time. Reilly hasn’t played every minute of every game & JR still preferred others before Duffy, think that tells us everything.

A spare wheel in a car isn’t the comparison I would’ve made but a spare wheel doesn’t cost money. It isn’t collecting a wage each week to nothing, that could be used better elsewhere.

As I’ve already said, if we bring in another striker in this window it will prove that perhaps Duffy just wasn’t capable or he would’ve kept him.

If a manager has a 50% success rate with signings, he's doing fine. Every signing is a gamble, and none are certain to work. In the summer Jack brought in Liam Smith (success), Reilly (success), McShane (success), Samson (success) as well as Duffy (fail), Stewart (jury's out), Kirkpatrick (fail), Hilson (fail), Buchanan (fail). Factor in resigning Eckersley (success), Davis (success), Smith (success) and he's doing very well in my opinion. He's let Hilson go, and put Duffy and Stewart out on loan, bringing in Mullen, so not hanging about if he thinks we need better at this point.

Also, something that might have escaped some - we're 6 points clear at the top of the league This means the season so far has been a resounding success.

Some people really will search for any reason to moan.

38 minutes ago, Soctty said:

we're 6 points clear at the top of the league This means the season so far has been a resounding success.

Not only that, but we already have more points on the board than we have managed in either of our previous two seasons at this level. We are seven points off the number Morton achieved in reaching fourth place last year (though that was unusually low because of the competitiveness of the league, and 60 points is more like the benchmark for fourth place).

I think if we played a formation with 2 centre forwards up top instead of an attacking midfielder off the striker, his signing for the team would have maybe look more justified as he would have most likely have been closer to being used more off the bench.  Maybe that was something that JR considered as an alternative game plan when he brought Duffy in. 

Cammy Smiths magnificent role in the team with goal/assist contribution has made it difficult to consider any other way of playing. 

56 minutes ago, Soctty said:

If a manager has a 50% success rate with signings, he's doing fine. Every signing is a gamble, and none are certain to work. In the summer Jack brought in Liam Smith (success), Reilly (success), McShane (success), Samson (success) as well as Duffy (fail), Stewart (jury's out), Kirkpatrick (fail), Hilson (fail), Buchanan (fail). Factor in resigning Eckersley (success), Davis (success), Smith (success) and he's doing very well in my opinion. He's let Hilson go, and put Duffy and Stewart out on loan, bringing in Mullen, so not hanging about if he thinks we need better at this point.

Also, something that might have escaped some - we're 6 points clear at the top of the league This means the season so far has been a resounding success.

Some people really will search for any reason to moan.

Do you consider Buchanan a fail?

I thought he was pretty decent when he played, and was part of a defence that had us sitting at the top of the league or thereabouts.

People need to remember that we were already in a good place prior to Davis' return, and whilst he has understandably been favoured over Buchanan, that doesn't mean - for me, anyway - that the latter has been a poor signing.

11 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

Cammy Smiths magnificent role in the team with goal/assist contribution has made it difficult to consider any other way of playing. 

Nail on the head - and this was very evident when he was unavailable for a match.

Do you consider Buchanan a fail?
I thought he was pretty decent when he played, and was part of a defence that had us sitting at the top of the league or thereabouts.
People need to remember that we were already in a good place prior to Davis' return, and whilst he has understandably been favoured over Buchanan, that doesn't mean - for me, anyway - that the latter has been a poor signing.
It comes across quite brutal but I've seen him play a free decent games a couple of poor ones. I was looking at successes and non-successes I suppose. Talk of him going on loan as well. The term failure is a brutal one in this instance.

Some thought he'd come in and replace Baird as 3rd choice after Davis came back. The fact he hasn't can't have gone down too well with the player himself.

9 minutes ago, Soctty said:

It comes across quite brutal but I've seen him play a free decent games a couple of poor ones. I was looking at successes and non-successes I suppose. Talk of him going on loan as well. The term failure is a brutal one in this instance.

Some thought he'd come in and replace Baird as 3rd choice after Davis came back. The fact he hasn't can't have gone down too well with the player himself.

Is Buchannan surplus to requirements? I reckon we need 4 players to cover central defence as potentially you're only two challenges (red card or injury) away from being a man short if you've only got three. Don't forget we had to bring in McCart from Celtic in September. 

Edit - That may very well mean 2 starting, 1 on the bench and one in the stands but that's football in 2017.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Is Buchannan surplus to requirements? I reckon we need 4 players to cover central defence as potentially you're only two challenges (red card or injury) away from being a man short if you've only got three. Don't forget we had to bring in McCart from Celtic in September. 
The fact that Irvine (I think) and Eckersley have played there this season might be a factor. Also Buchanan might be pushing for a loan as he didn't even make the bench last week.

Just what I've heard that he's possibly going on loan - could be total bollocks.

18 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I see where you're coming from, but, for me, he has just been edged out by a better player. Had Davis not recovered, I wouldn't have had a huge issue with Buchanan holding on to his place alongside Baird. As such, I consider him a decent signing.

Just now, Drew said:

I see where you're coming from, but, for me, he has just been edged out by a better player. Had Davis not recovered, I wouldn't have had a huge issue with Buchanan holding on to his place alongside Baird. As such, I consider him a decent signing.

I wouldn't disagree too much with you on that, I was just making a quick list and noted he's out of the picture now. Did his bet earlier in the season as you say.

Or Jack thought that, as the game wore on, a taller, more physical striker would have more luck against a certain defence?

I agree on Reilly, but that is not the point.

Or maybe Jack is targeting someone who, in his opinion, is even "more capable" than Reilly which would result in Reilly not getting much game time and becoming a "waste of a wage", and is moving Duffy on to create space (or give Duffy a chance at game time)?

As I've already said, there could be lots of reasons why he isn't getting any game time, only one of which is that Jack doesn't think he is capable.

If you had phrased it as "we're spending money on someone who is getting virtually no game time and the money could probably be better spent" (or something similar) and not as he's a "waste of a wage" then that would have been different (and I assume that is what you really meant), but defending the phrase you used when it obviously has the meaning that "he's useless and can't do the job" is now getting beyond the ridiculous.  All this could have been avoided by clarifying your original statement.  Unless, of course, that actually is what you meant?

Does it really matter how it’s said, I haven’t slaughtered his footballing capabilities, just that he was wasting a wage it our squad, which he was. I’m glad that he’s gone if he’s not going to play.

No one will ever know the true capabilities of Duffy as he wasn’t given then chance.

Jack Ross has done fantastically well with the majority of transfers and have absolutely no issue with that.

Delighted to be watching the team this year, what a transformation.

Actually, it does.  The phrase "he's a waste of a wage" means that the person is not capable of properly doing the job for which they are employed and, by using that phrase, you really are slaughtering his football capabilities.  Even the phrase "the wage is being wasted" would be better.

The rest of the post, I have no issue with.

We will agree to disagree then as saying he’s a waste of a wage (which he was) was in no way slaughtering his football ability.

We move on.

Exciting times ahead in the transfer market hopefully.