Livingston v St Mirren SPFL Championship 19/8/17

shull

15 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Reading the match report on the Morton game last night Livingston like to soak up pressure and counter attack. Sounds a bit like Dumbarton style which is hard to play against. 

Aye, they very much reminded me of Dumbarton in terms of how they set up when playing us. Stuffy, and closed us down quickly.

Opposition managers will now have the measure of how Saints like to play. Perhaps that's why JR tried to mix it up a bit against Morton by going high and long? Didn't work, right enough.

Despite how our opponents approach games, we should always try to play to our strengths. I still think we are missing an enforcer on midfield, though. I'd hoped McShane might be that man, but it hasn't panned put that way (at least not yet).

It looks as though our transfer business is complete (incoming, at any rate), so it's up to J&J to devise ways to counter the likes of Livingston and Dumbarton.

10 hours ago, faraway saint said:

We all have mental health problems, really? :wacko:

I'll say this, and this only....

I consider mental wellbeing to be a spectrum. At one end, is excellent mental health, at the other is acute/chronic mental ill-health.

At various stages in our lives, we travel across that spectrum.  Those of us who are fortunate enough to have generally stable mental health do well to bear in mind the fragility of that status.

Anyway, enough of the day job, I come on here for a bit of escapism and to talk inane shite.

2-1 St Mirren.

Reilly and MacKenzie (he is surely due a goal).

1 minute ago, Drew said:

I consider mental wellbeing to be a spectrum. At one end, is excellent mental health, at the other is acute/chronic mental ill-health.

At various stages in our lives, we travel across that spectrum.  Those of us who are fortunate enough to have generally stable mental health do well to bear in mind the fragility of that status.

Anyway, enough of the day job, I come on here for a bit of escapism and to talk inane shite.

2-1 St Mirren.

And you do it so well. :wink:

After he last 2 league games it's, IMO, 50/50 the way this game could go.

I'll go for home win, possibly a draw but it could be an away win. :rolleyes:

I remember a forum member used to use this tactic on a regular basis a few years ago.

10 minutes ago, Drew said:

2-1 St Mirren.

I reckon there is some truth in what you say Drew. For the most part I think those who are negative about the Club tend to be at the wind-up for the most part and some people just can't have that . At the other end we have the trolls that desire to have an opinion on everything which tends to be banal in the extreme. . 

Back on topic , l would tend to concur with your 2-1 result  . .mon the Mirren

10 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

I reckon there is some truth in what you say Drew. For the most part I think those who are negative about the Club tend to be at the wind-up for the most part and some people just can't have that . At the other end we have the trolls that desire to have an opinion on everything which tends to be banal in the extreme. . 

Eh? :blink:

What has this to do with Drews point about mental health?

Tin foil needing replaced? :1eye

Edited by faraway saint

36 minutes ago, Drew said:

Aye, they very much reminded me of Dumbarton in terms of how they set up when playing us. Stuffy, and closed us down quickly.

. . which is very similar to the way wee Anxious had Saints playing around 10yrs ago - the missing bit is "trying knick 1 on the counter'"

The most successful way for us is the way Jack had the team playing at the end of last season . .

2-1 St Mirren.

Which is a very eloquent way of putting my original intended statement... Which, I might add, was directly posted to a good friend with whom I travel to most home games.
Hence the reason I have totally refused to take the bait and respond to others.

I will however apologise to anyone genuinely upset by my comment.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Opposition managers will now have the measure of how Saints like to play. Perhaps that's why JR tried to mix it up a bit against Morton by going high and long? Didn't work, right enough.

Despite how our opponents approach games, we should always try to play to our strengths. I still think we are missing an enforcer on midfield, though. I'd hoped McShane might be that man, but it hasn't panned put that way (at least not yet).

It looks as though our transfer business is complete (incoming, at any rate), so it's up to J&J to devise ways to counter the likes of Livingston and Dumbarton.

Totally agree Drew we are missing a digger in midfield. Remember the digger name being used on Murray 

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Totally agree Drew we are missing a digger in midfield. Remember the digger name being used on Murray 

That's the one, Ian.

A player in the Shuggie/Steven Thomson/Goodwin mould is very much required.

Alex Neil, Keith Lasley, etc. We know the type. Someone who buzzes about, getting in the faces of our opponents, breaking up play, and creating a bit of space for our more creative players.

I think McGinn is our digger in midfield and unlike Goody he is really subtle about it. McGinn is winning the ball in midfield in ways that I have not witnessed for some time as he is always putting a foot in or blocking with his body or a wee push on the ref's blind side. McGinn for me is the essential cog in the machine. The problem is he needs a Magennis or a Mallan to push forward as McShane doesn't.  Until Magennis is fit I would try someone else next to McGinn - start with Kirkpatrick. I know he was truly awful at Firhill but his record of goals from midfield from last season suggests he has a lot more to offer.

Edited by Sonny

26 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I think McGinn is our digger in midfield and unlike Goody he is really subtle about it. McGinn is winning the ball in midfield in ways that I have not witnessed for some time as he is always putting a foot in or blocking with his body or a wee push on the ref's blind side. McGinn for me is the essential cog in the machine. The problem is he needs a Magennis or a Mallan to push forward as McShane doesn't.  Until Magennis is fit I would try someone else next to McGinn - start with Kirkpatrick. I know he was truly awful at Firhill but his record of goals from midfield from last season suggests he has a lot more to offer.

Yes good shout....

McShane showed early promise, I just think the Crappielow game was 300 mph and that doesn't suit us...... we will have more possession against Livi , we really are showing the signs of a new team,, and remember last season, even though we had new Players Jan, we had Scottish and Diddy cup to gel............

I reckon Jack knows his team, and it involves Magennis , Davis and Ecks, they are 3 key players....

But your spot on with McShane issue

Probably heading through to Livingston on Saturday but under pressure to take other half to Livingston designer outlet village before football ideal scenario would be leave her shopping walk over to football and come back meet her after. Does anyone know if your parking at outlet village is limited so football fans don't park there???

That's exactly what we did last year. My wife took our daughter shopping and I took the boys to the match. No issues with parking at the outlet.

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Cheers mate.

Exactly what I do as well.  Note for those who"s significant other might think of going shopping is that there are good quality "outlet" shops there which e.g. are not available at Braehead. 

Less than 5 minutes walk to the ground.

On 8/17/2017 at 10:21 AM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Last season J&J knew this and brought in Craig Storie to be the dig in midfield. He was like a young Jim Goodwin. I thought he did well for his first few games and added a steeliness to our midfield but then McGinn came in and we dropped him. Any chance we can get him back!

I was at the Livi game last month and fear we may suffer again from the way they play. If we don't win and fail to win next week it will be a poor start yet again. We still look very weak up front  - perhaps Duffy may fit the bill - and maybe when injured players return all will be well but the collapse against Morton last week was worrying. I feel that Dundee Utd will win the league so any one of the other 3 places for a play -off will suffice. Anything else, however, will be failure.

3 hours ago, YardleyBoom said:

Last season J&J knew this and brought in Craig Storie to be the dig in midfield. He was like a young Jim Goodwin. I thought he did well for his first few games and added a steeliness to our midfield but then McGinn came in and we dropped him. Any chance we can get him back!

I don't think our loan deals are finished.

36 minutes ago, Froggie said:

I was at the Livi game last month and fear we may suffer again from the way they play. If we don't win and fail to win next week it will be a poor start yet again. We still look very weak up front  - perhaps Duffy may fit the bill - and maybe when injured players return all will be well but the collapse against Morton last week was worrying. I feel that Dundee Utd will win the league so any one of the other 3 places for a play -off will suffice. Anything else, however, will be failure.

Half glass empty Froggie strikes again............. I take it your not a wedding planner ?