Livingston v St Mirren SPFL Championship 19/8/17

shull

4 hours ago, Julian Banjos said:

19/08/17 LADBROKES PREMIERSHIP  ST MIRREN v LIVINGSTON   TONY MACARONI ARENA - LIVINGSTON  St Mirren's Gary Irvine and Livingston's Dale Carrick19/08/17 LADBROKES PREMIERSHIP  ST MIRREN v LIVINGSTON   TONY MACARONI ARENA - LIVINGSTON  St Mirren's Gary Irvine and Livingston's Dale Carrick

Always hard to tell from stills but it doesn't look like a good challenge. 

Top photo shows he has went toes pointing to the sky, studs showing and looks like he missed the ball. 

2nd photo highlights that it was a lunge as he has continued through in between the Livy players legs. 

Not sure if it's red or not from the stills but certainly looks dangerous and I'd say it's fortunate he didn't catch the Livy player square on the shin if his standing leg. 

Thomson may have got this one right but he still had a shocker of a game. 

4 minutes ago, davidg said:

Always hard to tell from stills but it doesn't look like a good challenge. 

Top photo shows he has went toes pointing to the sky, studs showing and looks like he missed the ball. 

2nd photo highlights that it was a lunge as he has continued through in between the Livy players legs. 

Not sure if it's red or not from the stills but certainly looks dangerous and I'd say it's fortunate he didn't catch the Livy player square on the shin if his standing leg. 

Thomson may have got this one right but he still had a shocker of a game. 

I couldn't agree less with that. 

In the first picture you can see the toe end of the sole of Irvine's boot to the left of the  Livvy player's  right leg...Irvine's foot is kinda sideways at that point.  Irvine's left leg is tucked under.

In the 2nd picture Irvine's right leg has clearly missed the ball and clattered the opponents right leg but there's no "lack of control", no "two footed lunge", no "recklessness"

It's a mistimed tackle which deserved a yellow  but not a red.

3 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I couldn't agree less with that. 

In the first picture you can see the toe end of the sole of Irvine's boot to the left of the  Livvy player's  right leg...Irvine's foot is kinda sideways at that point.  Irvine's left leg is tucked under.

In the 2nd picture Irvine's right leg has clearly missed the ball and clattered the opponents right leg but there's no "lack of control", no "two footed lunge", no "recklessness"

It's a mistimed tackle which deserved a yellow  but not a red.

Couldn't agree with this any less. 

His foot is kinda sideways???

You then say he's clearly missed the ball. He's clattered the opponents right leg.  There's no lack of control. 

FFS. 

Evan the gaffer has said the Saints players who were near by and Irvine himself think it was probably a red card. 

I wasn't at the game, but I'm guessing a lot depends on seeing the Irvine red card incident at full speed as it happened, and from what angle you saw it. Not being at the game, to my eyes, it could be argued that in that first photo, BOTH players are going in with their right boot raised for a 50/50. With Irvine going in low though, the second photo appears to show Irvine going in that bit more forcefully.  However, none of these photos show Thomson's position relative to the incident. If pushed then, I must come to the conclusion that Thomson is a wank and got it wrong.  My case rests.

:guinness

Funny how we capitulated last week and played completely different today.
Did Morton, who have no more than average this season, play really well or were we shite?
Whatever, today was critical IMO.
Lose and we would have lost the vast majority of confidence and feel good we had built up and gone into the game with United with the possibility going 9 points behind them.
Make no mistake, today was MASSIVE.

The difference last week is that Morton went 2-1 up immediately after we went down to 10 men.

We therefore had to take the game to Morton, leaving us open at the back.

This week, it was still 1-1 when we went down to 10 men so we just got everyone behind the ball with the objective of trying to get a point.

15 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I wasn't at the game, but I'm guessing a lot depends on seeing the Irvine red card incident at full speed as it happened, and from what angle you saw it. Not being at the game, to my eyes, it could be argued that in that first photo, BOTH players are going in with their right boot raised for a 50/50. With Irvine going in low though, the second photo appears to show Irvine going in that bit more forcefully.  However, none of these photos show Thomson's position relative to the incident. If pushed then, I must come to the conclusion that Thomson is a wank and got it wrong.  My case rests.

:guinness

The Livi player should have been off .

1 hour ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Yes

Studs not up, behind the opponents leg ,

sideways.JPG

Think you should've gone to spec savers :P

It's so hard to analyse it from 2 still photos, it's done now. 

3 points and we move on to next week. 

Edited by davidg

Thomson will no doubt go on to referee Champions League matches if not next week then in the group stages, pick up his 5 grand match fee, all expenses paid trip to wherever and laugh up his sleeve at the thought of fans seething about his domestic performances.

Defended very well this afternoon with 10 men, I thought Eckersley played well for someone just back from injury. Can't remember Samson having to make a save worthy of the name in the second half, a few hairy moments from crosses certainly but nothing like the EK goalie in midweek pulling off save after save. I'd imagine the home fans would have been pretty annoyed by their lack of invention.

If we can win our next two home games against Dundee Utd and Inverness then we'll really start to motor!

Eckersley is so important to the side. A hugely underrated player who brings so much stability to our defence. 

Glad to see Buchanan getting almost unanimous plaudits too. I've been a bit worried about the start he's made so it's nice to see he's hopefully settling in. 

I don't think we're as bad defensively as we make ourselves out to be and we've always more or less agreed that if we can muddle through til Davis, Eckersley and Magennis are back we'll be OK. I said at the start of the season that if we can be slotted in behind the leaders with 13-15 points from the first quarter then it sets up up nicely enough for when we get back to full strength. So given the difficult start we're ahead of my own personal expectations already. 

Edited by djchapsticks