Misery Guts V Happy Clappers

Although it goes against most other aspects of my nature, when it comes to St Mirren, I'm a pretty dedicated happy clapper. I don't have the power to influence anything that happens at the club, but I feel the team would benefit more from my support and blind faith than it would from moaning and berating players. Obviously, things happen that I'm not pleased with; players come in who I'm no sure about, guys leave who I'd want to keep, we lose to teams we should beat, we concede soft goals, but it's all part of being a football fan, if the game ever made me miserable for more than half an hour post-match, I'd stop going. You probably get more lows than highs as a buddie, but that just makes the good times all the more special. The Morton game will be forgotten in a matter of days, but the Millennium Champions, the Challenge Cup Final against Accies, winning the League under Gus, 3-2 at Fir Park, 2-0 away to Falkirk, 2-1 against Rangers, 4-0 vs Celtic, Mallan's goal against Raith, Loy's goal at Easter Road...They'll all live with me forever.

Happy Clapper for life! 

Agree with Garf.

There will always be those whgo are incapable of coping with the slightest problem in their lives - even losing a football match.

Virtually no resilience whatsoever.

A large percentage of those who have no resilience also seem to have this uncontrollable urge to vocalise their inner turmoil.

In doing so they suck the life from everyone around them.

I will never choose that way of life and quite frankly they can call me what they want because I don't listen to them.

I really don't understand how anyone can live like that with every day causing them to breakdown mentally.

Edited by oaksoft

Garf your obviously a Saint.............

If your Misery Guts + St Mirren = a Wooden Box 

We thrive in this, I mean imagine being unbeaten in 51 games zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... I would want the manager sacked :lol: No doubt we will beat United then draw or lose to Brechin--- That's just the St Mirren way........... we are a shite/ fantastic team

13 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Agree with Garf.

There will always be those whgo are incapable of coping with the slightest problem in their lives - even losing a football match.

Virtually no resilience whatsoever.

A large percentage of those who have no resilience also seem to have this uncontrollable urge to vocalise their inner turmoil.

In doing so they suck the life from everyone around them.

I will never choose that way of life and quite frankly they can call me what they want because I don't listen to them.

Your a very nice man :byebye

I am an optimistic fan. I get as pissed off as anyone after a defeat, but I try to keep my frustrations to myself rather than infest the forum with them. I tend not to post for a day or two after a bad defeat, to allow myself time to think more rationally about things - it's easy to say or post things in the heat of the moment that make you feel silly later. Better to hang fire, or you might find yourself trying desperately to back up the stupid opinion you posted in the immediate aftermath of the offending match...which with careful thought you've realised is not as valid as you first thought...

I am with Garf. I describe myself as an optimistic pragmatist. For a "smaller" club we have punched above our weight. 

Criticism is easy when you don't have the responsibility so I try to avoid it. Like everyone else I have opinions and yes the forum provides an outlet for both HCS and MMS. 

Whether we are 'happy clappers' or 'misery guts' we have to face up to the reality of our non-existent defence.

Even against Falkirk (which turned out to be a 'happy clap' day) we should have been at least 3 goals down before Stelios' equaliser after 20 minutes.

One thing we are consistent at is shipping in goals - 3, 4 or 5 a game.

On the 'glass half full' approach we can argue that once Smith, Davis and Eckersley get involved in shoring up the defence, we have a chance of challenging for promotion this season.

But we are also sorely missing Kyle Magennis' drive and creativity in midfield and also Darryl Duffy might turn out to be the goalscorer we have been yearning for over the past few years.

All is not lost - not yet!

Defeats don't bother me as long as the team play well , Saturday I was  deflated after such a great win the week before the same for everyone I would think. Did it spoil my night ? Not at all I'm just a fan with an emotional relationship with my club like most of us. There are certain posters not many who seem to have a big dark cloud over them , it takes all types I suppose.