QoS Game

Langbank

Morgan will get most of the plaudits for scoring 2 goals but Liam Smith got assists for the first two.

Mcginn was outstanding and bossed the game looking as if he wanted to make up for last week and had a physicality today that left Rankin and a few others in a heap.

Baird had probably one of his best games for us and won pretty much everything in the air and kept things simple and cleared his lines when he had to.  Has the aggression that McCart looks to lack.

16 minutes ago, Frank McGarvey' wonky legs said:

Morgan will get most of the plaudits for scoring 2 goals but Liam Smith got assists for the first two.

Mcginn was outstanding and bossed the game looking as if he wanted to make up for last week and had a physicality today that left Rankin and a few others in a heap.

Baird had probably one of his best games for us and won pretty much everything in the air and kept things simple and cleared his lines when he had to.  Has the aggression that McCart looks to lack.

Agree on all accounts though would cut McCart some slack. Just arrived yesterday.

ETA - arrived on Friday. Bloody daft timing for a fitba game!

Edited by Drew

20 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Honestly, I felt both sides were scrappy, messy and very wasteful with the ball.

This kind of match will get the game stopped.

The talent on display was very welcome, but it is no compliment to call one team better than the other or one player as being better than the rest.

I'm happy we won, but this league is brutal

Nah, I watched some good football on display this afternoon. Much, much better than some of the turgid shite we witnessed in the latter SPL years.

Open games with a few goals beat cagey, feart to concede shitfests every time.

Edited by Drew

7 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Excellent - Irvine is the sub for central defence.  I think we will win this one.. Really hope the young McCart has a game like his old man pretty much always had.. I know a lad who came through at the tic with him and he speaks highly of both him and of course Tierny.

We probably wont keep a clean sheet but hopefully we will be back on the goals trail Saints 4 v 1 QOS crowd decent Goals from Todd, Reilly, Morgan and Smith - I don't care if I am wrong - so long as the 3 points are ours!!!!

COYS

As per usual I am a goal out each time, and sadly only got 2 of the 4 scorers right but there were a number of really good performances without looking like a seriously brilliant team performance..

Well impressed though by both Smiths, McGinn, Baird, Morgan and Samson,   others were good - Reilly, Stelios, Todd for a while and McCart,  Mc Shane worked hard and the subs played their part in keeping things going ...

Thought we punted long balls a lot, but suspect it was the right thing to do, because of the weather and safety first with the defensive changes.

JR = work to do but all in all a really decent day in the office -  make sure of 3 points at Brechin and we could very well be back on top!!!!

Edited by Sweeper07

42 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Honestly, I felt both sides were scrappy, messy and very wasteful with the ball.

This kind of match will get the game stopped.

The talent on display was very welcome, but it is no compliment to call one team better than the other or one player as being better than the rest.

I'm happy we won, but this league is brutal

Were you at the same game as me ?  

Cracking result if not performance in second half.

McGinn excellent, made up for last week. Morgan, enough said, he is ok I suppose......

Bad acting nomination award goes to Cammy Smith in the category of 'You are about to be subbed off so bugger off to the other side of the pitch and when your number is shown, pretend not to see it for as long as possible and then really take your time.'  An Oscar winning performance.  :P

All in all, very well done by all us Saints today. Could have been a very different story.

First half we never looked uncomfortable but, after the second goal I felt we allowed QotS too much park. We retreated to our own last third but still looked dangerous on the break.  Lewis Morgan is, as I expected, a revelation, as will McGennis and O'Keafe. Reilly did a fantastic job of harassing. McGinn did a good job of breaking things up. Both Smiths did well. Special mention to Baird who has suffered  from a lot of flack. Did all the simple things well and worked with his new team mate.

We will never dominate for the whole game and though I felt we gave too much space for the latter stages of the second half but, all in all, a great win and the fortress remains intact.

Agreed.

While there's nothing wrong saying we're far from perfect I'm sure most would have taken 15 points fro the first 7 games, and we have played all the pre season title contenders.

The vast majority of posts confirm this, a few areas of concern but we beat a team who, before the game, were seen as very dangerous, fairly comfortably and with far from our recognised full team.

Oh, stay away from the St Mirren Facebook page, it makes the forum look sensible. :lol:

Don't understand the "we played poorly in the second half" chat going on. I don't think it's fair to assume we are going to run over QotS for 90 mins and beat them 6 or 7 nil. They're a more than decent team. At 3-0 down they readjusted and were practically playing 4 up top, throwing everything at us. Saints then readjusted their style of play to cope very well with (almost) all of their efforts. Very happy to see both an excellent attacking and defensive performance from the whole team.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Agreed.

While there's nothing wrong saying we're far from perfect I'm sure most would have taken 15 points fro the first 7 games, and we have played all the pre season title contenders.

The vast majority of posts confirm this, a few areas of concern but we beat a team who, before the game, were seen as very dangerous, fairly comfortably and with far from our recognised full team.

Oh, stay away from the St Mirren Facebook page, it makes the forum look sensible. :lol:

Cheeky Bassa, I am on Facebook. :angry:

Asked them to come back from last weeks clusterf**k with a win and the team delivered. Scrappy game till we got our first goal, dominated the first half after that, got the third, Samson made a few good saves in tricky conditions, then the strangest substitutions hand them the momentum.

dont know why he takes Reilly off (unless carrying a knock) as although not scoring he unsettles their defence and denies them the opportunity to pass out from the back. To replace him and  Todd with Kirkpartrick and Stewart was just repeating last weeks mistake of not getting Irvine on to help manage the game out. We were instantly vulnerable in the middle with only McGinn showing anything, and McShane posted missing again. Ross needs to learn when its time to shut a game down, and who to bring on to do that.

thought Todd looked like a completely different player, he tied their left side up and nothing came down that side till his injury, hopefully hes back soon as hevwas a real bonus helping us to push on quickly and less predictably.

great result, but someone needs to tell Ross how to shut a game down, last week we lost another goal, and all shape when he subbed Stelios, but brought on a forward, this week he repeated it when the situation cried out for thenlikes of Irvine who will chase everything and deny the opposition time or composure. 

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Agreed.

Looking at recent tables an average of 2 points per game would have won the league on two occasions and finished runner up in the remainder.

13 hours ago, Drew said:

Nah, I watched some good football on display this afternoon. Much, much better than some of the turgid shite we witnessed in the latter SPL years.

Open games with a few goals beat cagey, feart to concede shitfests every time.

I don't often disagree with many of your comments Drew, but if you take off those black and white tinted specs, you would have seen that it was a brutal game.  Lucky if we witnessed more than 15 minutes of decent football. Three good goals and three good points. Bring on the Brechin for another hard fought win. Probably 2-1.

I don't often disagree with many of your comments Drew, but if you take off those black and white tinted specs, you would have seen that it was a brutal game.  Lucky if we witnessed more than 15 minutes of decent football. Three good goals and three good points. Bring on the Brechin for another hard fought win. Probably 2-1.

Where were you, Ibrox?

1 minute ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

I'm not claiming it was great, but I did think some of the football was decent.

I'm also not wearing black and white tinted specs, just giving a view based on around 3 decades of watching Saints.

I seen two great finishes from Morgan, a solid display of leadership from McGinn, and a very effective performance from an often criticised player - Jack Baird.

Over the piece, that'll do me.