Challenge Cup

Sonny

10 minutes ago, buddiecat said:

Hearts U20's as opposition should mean the price for this game should be the same as an U20's match at our stadium.

I would hope it was free but it doesn't have to.

St Mirren Under 20's are not playing.

And we never charged Lowland League prices on Tuesday, although I wish we would every Match.

18 minutes ago, shull said:

I would hope it was free but it doesn't have to.

St Mirren Under 20's are not playing.

And we never charged Lowland League prices on Tuesday, although I wish we would every Match.

I would rate East Kilbride as playing at a higher level than Hearts U20's though. Gordon Scott told me last season that we made a loss in this tournament and would possibly have broken even if we won it, that was without having to go to Ireland or Wales, which could happen this time.

6 minutes ago, buddiecat said:

I would rate East Kilbride as playing at a higher level than Hearts U20's though. Gordon Scott told me last season that we made a loss in this tournament and would possibly have broken even if we won it, that was without having to go to Ireland or Wales, which could happen this time.

Missing my point

We didn't charge Lowland League prices v East Kilbride

So why should it be free against Hearts Colts.

And anyway ( this is hard work )

It's 

St Mirren v Hearts Colts

Not 

St Mirren Colts v Hearts Colts

And Finally

Its the Challenge Cup

Not

The Development League

Over & Out

Not quite out

And if Gordon Scott wants to make life better then......

He should get together with the other 39 Clubs and boot Sevco & Celtic to feck

Then the 40 Clubs can tell Doncaster & Regan what to do.

Before then , Scott and the 39 others have got feck all to moan about.

OWN FAULT

16 minutes ago, buddiecat said:

Plus if we made a loss, cut the wages and bonuses.

FFS

He once was a great Businessman

What happens when they buy Football Clubs ?

Sure I read somewhere that Scottish teams drawn away to wales or Ireland get compensation to cover travel costs?

9 hours ago, buddiecat said:

Hearts U20's as opposition should mean the price for this game should be the same as an U20's match at our stadium.

9 hours ago, buddiecat said:

So you're advocating we drop the prices for the Hearts U20's game then you point out we, seemingly, made a loss last season?

So, you're reasoning would help make us less money?

Anyway, plenty of our support weren't bothered we got pumped out of the League Cup so making money from cups isn't an issue for many.

9 hours ago, shull said:

Not quite out

And if Gordon Scott wants to make life better then......

He should get together with the other 39 Clubs and boot Sevco & Celtic to feck

Then the 40 Clubs can tell Doncaster & Regan what to do.

Before then , Scott and the 39 others have got feck all to moan about.

OWN FAULT

Would love to see this happen one day. Don't get me wrong I don't think it will but it would be the first vote I would go for if we got to a place where we had a majority of fan owned clubs in the league structure. Every fan owned club handing in their two year notice and then forming their own league with a fairer voting set up and income distributions, give the bigger boys a choice of staying with the Old Firm and pretty much playing challenge matches or leaving to join a new structure with the majority other clubs. Also less boring leagues than the Championship where we could potentially play the same team 10 feckin times a season! 

As for the Colt issue, I'm not completely against them being in the Challenge cup. For me though the structure is a bit of a joke. Championship sides in the first round with the colts and amateur Welsh teams getting into the second round? It should be more like last season where the Colts have to play earlier rounds (potentially the first against each other so only the six best go against professional teams) The Championship clubs should also come in after the Welsh/ Irish teams as well. Maybe round one - Colts only Round two add lowland, highland and possibly league two, round three add League one, Irish/ Welsh teams, round four Championship. But this is the structure we've got so might as well suck it up. 

The bigger concern for me is the apparent SPFL push to get Colt teams into the league structure. I'm actually pretty happy we have Hearts U20s because it's raising more awareness about the Scottish football powers wanting to force these teams into the structure. I believe this would need to be voted on and I'm pretty sure St Mirren would engage fans if that ever happened. I would like to know what the stance is from the club though, I know other clubs have publicly came out against it. 

I can't believe we made a loss on the Challenge cup last year? How is that possible. The Dundee United game alone was our biggest attendance of the season (i think) and on TV. Seems strange we could lose money from it. If so put out the boys and get us out the competition. 

16 hours ago, TsuMirren said:

I have issues with Colt teams, but if the rules state they should be in the competition then obviously they are supposed to be in it. They're not beating up Stranraer in the dressing room then coming out wearing masks. "Haha, fooled you, it was Hearts Colts after all".

I totally understand that the rules currently state they entitled to be in it, however in my mind I'll never reconcile that playing against a recognised youth side in an adult tournament is correct.

I totally understand that the rules currently state they entitled to be in it, however in my mind I'll never reconcile that playing against a recognised youth side in an adult tournament is correct.

Indeed or that last season they weren't considered official appearances and Ryan Hardie was therefore eligible instead of ineligible for Raith Rovers. All we can do is go out, hammer them and further the argument against Colt teams being in senior competitions. (Which is of course my personal view)

1 minute ago, TsuMirren said:

Indeed or that last season they weren't considered official appearances and Ryan Hardie was therefore eligible instead of ineligible for Raith Rovers. All we can do is go out, hammer them and further the argument against Colt teams being in senior competitions. (Which is of course my personal view)

Hammer them, then get Linfield at home. 'St Mirren would like to welcome all visiting fans, and a ragtag bunch of knuckledragging nenderthals with Sevco leanings, into our South Stand for a fun-filled family evening of Bells Ramsdens B&Q Petrofac Irn Bru Norn Iron Welsh Diddies Colts & Overage Colts cup football. Season ticket holders who wish to move can do so, we would suggest moving to New Zealand. One town one team.'

Remember where you read it first.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Hammer them, then get Linfield at home. 'St Mirren would like to welcome all visiting fans, and a ragtag bunch of knuckledragging nenderthals with Sevco leanings, into our South Stand for a fun-filled family evening of Bells Ramsdens B&Q Petrofac Irn Bru Norn Iron Welsh Diddies Colts & Overage Colts cup football. Season ticket holders who wish to move can do so, we would suggest moving to New Zealand. One town one team.'

Gie it a rest. :snore

We get you don't like this cup, no need t post it a hunner times every season. :byebye

11 hours ago, buddiecat said:

I thought we made a small profit but maybe because the 1st game  was a freebie for season ticket holders that's where the club lost the cash. Could be the reason why no freebie this year.

41 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

38 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Gie it a rest. :snore

We get you don't like this cup, no need t post it a hunner times every season. :byebye

Needle stuck in groove. :hammer

13 hours ago, buddiecat said:

All our games last season were in the central belt and even if attendances were mediocre (I'm prepared to gamble the 4392 vs Hibs was the second highest in the tournament), prices less than for regular games and receipts split with the organizers and Motherwell for the final we'd still have received money for 4 out of the 5 games. In addition to our share of the gate receipts there was £12,750 prize money for reaching the final although we received no direct payment for having the TNS game televised. I find it hard to believe that letting in ST holders for the Ayr game outweighed the receipts from the other 4 games & the prize money.

Albion (a) Attendance 711

Hibs (a) Attendance 4392

Ayr (h) Attendance 2199 (Free admission to ST holders according to Renfrew)

TNS (h) Attendance 2044

Dundee Utd. (Fir Park) Attendance 8089

Edited by Bud the Baker

24 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

All our games last season were in the central belt and even if attendances were mediocre (I'm prepared to gamble the 4392 vs Hibs was the second highest in the tournament), prices less than for regular games and receipts split with the organizers and Motherwell for the final we'd still have received money for 4 out of the 5 games. In addition to the our share of the gate receipts there was £12,750 prize money for reaching the final although we received no direct payment for having the TNS game televised. I find it hard to believe the costs for the Ayr game outweighed the receipts from the other 4 games & the prize money.

Albion (a) Attendance 711

Hibs (a) Attendance 4392

Ayr (h) Attendance 2199 (Free admission according to Renfrew)

TNS (h) Attendance 2044

Dundee Utd. (Fir Park) Attendance 8089

The split from Hibs away after they deducted their costs for opening and manning the every stand in a  17000 seater stadium, paid police and give the SPFL their wedge i guess wasnt much.

Ayr game, again after costs, free admission and split.... possibly nowt?

TNS game, wasnt it  £12 for adults and kids/youths free?  Not much left after costs and split.

the final, most gate money would have gone to Motherwell and the SPFL so only really whatever prize money left for us.

I think you will start to see premier clubs passing up the chance to enter colt teams as they get pumped and cost money unless its a condition to compete in awarding SFA academy funding? Although doubt tgat with different organisation.

8 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

The split from Hibs away after they deducted their costs for opening and manning the every stand in a  17000 seater stadium, paid police and give the SPFL their wedge i guess wasnt much.

Ayr game, again after costs, free admission and split.... possibly nowt?

TNS game, wasnt it  £12 for adults and kids/youths free?  Not much left after costs and split.

the final, most gate money would have gone to Motherwell and the SPFL so only really whatever prize money left for us.

I think you will start to see premier clubs passing up the chance to enter colt teams as they get pumped and cost money unless its a condition to compete in awarding SFA academy funding? Although doubt tgat with different organisation.

I didn't think we'd have made much money from the tournament but to have made a loss seems a bit careless. 

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

I didn't think we'd have made much money from the tournament but to have made a loss seems a bit careless. 

I guess whatever was made/lost the club, given the attendances had to try incentives to get some paying punters in. The Hearts colt game will likely see less than 1000 attendees, so again unlikely to break even after costs and split.

5 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I guess whatever was made/lost the club, given the attendances had to try incentives to get some paying punters in. The Hearts colt game will likely see less than 1000 attendees, so again unlikely to break even after costs and split.

Re the Hearts Colts tie I'm not disagreeing but it's irrelevant to what happened last year.

Edited by Bud the Baker

5 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Re the Hearts Colts tie I'm not disagreeing but it's irrelevant to what happened last year.

I guess its the same problem in that the club will lose money again just participating. Maybe if you make the final without long dustance away games, and not being drawn against colts you could break even? But I doubt it.

the craziest draw is the Peterhead v Annan game, there'll be no compo for that, and no crowd either.