St Mirren v Dundee United SPFL Championship 26/8/17

shull

We were superb today. Probably most comfortable we have been for a good while. Should have scored more would have been a better reflection on things.

Comfortable day for Sammy, could good saves at 0-0. Seems much more confident than he did in pre- season.

Back 3 all deserve credit, Buchanan was written off far too quickly. Baird strolled it. Eckersley is a fantastic player at this level.

Liam Smith was excellent and works well with Lewis. Stelios a bit quieter than normal but always good for getting the fans on their feet.

McGinn and McShane bossed it, good to see McShane get a good goal. Hopefully he will keep improving

They couldn't cope with our forward players at all. Reilly puts in some shift every week, didn't work out for him today in terms of goals but he was all over their bombscare defenders. Smith is brilliant on the ball, would like to see him have a go from distance a bit more.

Lewis Morgan on today's form is unplayable in this league and genuinely could be the difference between promotion and being also rans.

Dundee Utd look poor, king and McMullan are absolutely gutless players, McDonald is finished, will pop up with the odd goal but he's done. Durnan is the worst football player I've ever seen, incapable of making the most basic of actions.

Worth bearing in mind today's result was achieved without Gary Mac, Magennis and Harry Davies. Also squad players such as Hilson and Todd.

Was offered a new deal last season. He ain't signing it. Will either leave for nothing next summer or a fee in August or January.

if he stays to the end of the season we will get a a small development fee not as big as normal as he didn't join us from sevco till he was 15. GLS has said he's not selling him. but if big cash comes in I think he might go. but I hope not.

Would've taken any sort of performance today to get a result but to play like that from goalie to striker was very pleasing.

Back three could well be the way to go from here on out as it allows us to play Cammy in his best position and if Stelios and Smith continue their form there wouldn't be any team in this league that could contain us going forward.

McGinn and McShane were rock solid, Reilly was a pest all day and Morgan was utterly unplayable.

However it was the defence that pleased me most. If anyone had said a few weeks back we'd be facing Utd with a back three of Baird, Buchannan and Eckersley I'm not sure the confidence levels would've been high but they were absolutely outstanding.

2 weeks until our next league game and we'll likely have Magennis, Davis, McKenzie, Todd and Hilson all back in contention but who could you drop from that team today?

5 minutes ago, pod said:

I'm in envy of those that were at game today,  as I had to work.   Seems I missed a cracker of a game. 

Indeed you did.

While Morgan deserves all the plaudits that come his way, I think he was two thirds toward the perfect hat trick, I would like to add that young Liam Smith was fantastic too. I for one would be happy to have him in the team in place of Irvine who I rate highly. Baird has been getting dog's abuse by some on here but today he must have rammed the criticism down some throats. Ecks was, well, Ecks. Buchannan is another one for the detractors but I felt he was great v Morton when introduced and v Livingstone, both in adverse situations.

Someone mentioned how poor DU were but I think that demeans what our boys did. They didn't let United settle on the ball, especially first half where we defended from the front.

Fantastic team  performance.

BTW. Who said the new ground was soulless? When we score the second the place was rocking. Hairs on the back of my neck were tingling!

We were superb today. Probably most comfortable we have been for a good while. Should have scored more would have been a better reflection on things.

Comfortable day for Sammy, could good saves at 0-0. Seems much more confident than he did in pre- season.

Back 3 all deserve credit, Buchanan was written off far too quickly. Baird strolled it. Eckersley is a fantastic player at this level.

Liam Smith was excellent and works well with Lewis. Stelios a bit quieter than normal but always good for getting the fans on their feet.

McGinn and McShane bossed it, good to see McShane get a good goal. Hopefully he will keep improving

They couldn't cope with our forward players at all. Reilly puts in some shift every week, didn't work out for him today in terms of goals but he was all over their bombscare defenders. Smith is brilliant on the ball, would like to see him have a go from distance a bit more.

Lewis Morgan on today's form is unplayable in this league and genuinely could be the difference between promotion and being also rans.

Dundee Utd look poor, king and McMullan are absolutely gutless players, McDonald is finished, will pop up with the odd goal but he's done. Durnan is the worst football player I've ever seen, incapable of making the most basic of actions.

Worth bearing in mind today's result was achieved without Gary Mac, Magennis and Harry Davies. Also squad players such as Hilson and Todd.

Great post, sums it up spot on, I sensed mid way through the first half that Utd appeared a bit gutless and devoid of ideas and were likely there for the taking, third goal just polished the whole day off!!

We dominated them .  Mr Craig Samson , League Cup Hero , had 3 saves to make in the first half but in the second half it looked like the arabs had capitulated in fact they looked a bit like what we looked about 1 year ago . .

In the later stages , Mr Craig Samson was doing keepy-up in the box which , was a little disrespectful . .:P

I think by October , as already mentioned , we will be top of the League and remain there 'til season end. .

How was that only 3-0? 6-0 would have complemented Utd.

Outstanding tactics today with letting them have possession (especially in the first half) and then using our speed merchants to run them ragged. As the game went on they had to sit back further and gave us even more space in midfield to dictate play. Great performance.

Need to post about the Scott McDonald yellow card though.... how brilliant and enjoyable was that. He reckoned he had suffered a foul, then he commits a foul... the referee isn't going to book him, but the West Bank can see McDonald is just gagging to open his gob... the West Bank starts a collective 'wooooaaaahhhh....' it slowly builds.... McDonald looks like he's going to explode.... 'WOOOAAAHHH!....' - He does explode. Out comes a yellow... West Bank - 'WOOAAAHHH..... YASSSS!!'.

Fcuking awesome! Nearly soiled ma' breeks. 

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

How was that only 3-0? 6-0 would have complemented Utd.

Outstanding tactics today with letting them have possession (especially in the first half) and then using our speed merchants to run them ragged. As the game went on they had to sit back further and gave us even more space in midfield to dictate play. Great performance.

I said the same thing at the final whistle. One off the bar , one off the post and countless other decent attacks . Also thought our deliveries from corners were very good today . 

All in all, that was excellent. 

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Need to post about the Scott McDonald yellow card though.... how brilliant and enjoyable was that. He reckoned he had suffered a foul, then he commits a foul... the referee isn't going to book him, but the West Bank can see McDonald is just gagging to open his gob... the West Bank starts a collective 'wooooaaaahhhh....' it slowly builds.... McDonald looks like he's going to explode.... 'WOOOAAAHHH!....' - He does explode. Out comes a yellow... West Bank - 'WOOAAAHHH..... YASSSS!!'.

Fcuking awesome! Nearly soiled ma' breeks. 

Thought the ref was pretty decent today. He let the game flow, and wasn't fooled by their diving etc . 

if he stays to the end of the season we will get a a small development fee not as big as normal as he didn't join us from sevco till he was 15. GLS has said he's not selling him. but if big cash comes in I think he might go. but I hope not.

Thought he was older than 15 when he came. Either way development fee will be minimum.

If any scouts were watching today he will be off on Monday. Let's hope they weren't.