St Mirren v Dundee United SPFL Championship 26/8/17

shull

After the final whistle I went for a wander past the South Stand to the shop for a look round and let the traffic die down. As I walked past the South Stand wearing my Saints scarf, a tangerine-clad couple were walking towards me. The bloke just looked glum, but as they approached me, the wummin' shouted at me 'Cheats! You're just cheats!'... the bloke muttered something along the lines of 'Shhhhh! FFS.'

Happy days. I just smiled. Calm down love, calm down. :D

11 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Thought he was older than 15 when he came. Either way development fee will be minimum.

If any scouts were watching today he will be off on Monday. Let's hope they weren't.

Only if they put in an offer we can't refuse. We've already knocked back bids for him and are in a position where we don't need to sell him . Can't see him leaving till January at least . 

The whole team was superb today.

That superb starting 11 contained both Jack Baird (I think he won every header today) and Ian McShane (Dead balls and passing were great - goal was top drawer).

Glad for the two of them as they have got a bit of heat from certain sections in the early part of the season.

Well done Jack and Ian!

14 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

After the final whistle I went for a wander past the South Stand to the shop for a look round and let the traffic die down. As I walked past the South Stand wearing my Saints scarf, a tangerine-clad couple were walking towards me. The bloke just looked glum, but as they approached me, the wummin' shouted at me 'Cheats! You're just cheats!'... the bloke muttered something along the lines of 'Shhhhh! FFS.'

what was the basis of her cheats allegation?!

Edited by farmer john

1 minute ago, farmer john said:

what was the basis of their cheats allegation?!

I think the basis of her 'cheats' allegation was purely based on the fact she was a raging wee bitter Arab basturt' who was wandering amongst home fans with grins as wide as the Silvery Tay itself. 

I genuinely just smiled and kept walking. Her hubby / partner / carer (delete as appropriate) was fair affronted.

47 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

To save a long post, will keep this simple...

Magnificent. In every aspect. Now, time for a beer...

Knew it wouldn't last. :lol:

13 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Been to 2 games this season Thistle & Morton (Goal Difference scored 1 lost 9) 3 league games I've missed (goal difference is scored 9 lost 2) apparently I've to stay away from now until may. Seriously though absolutely fantastic result.

Most of Dundee United's best moves in open play and from McMullan's corners came in the opening 15 minutes when they started better than us. Perhaps a turning point in the game was McMullan's dive and booking after 15 minutes. If he had stayed on his feet and got a shot away they might have gone 1-0 up but he tried to cheat instead.  Ten minutes later Lewis Morgan finds himself on a similar run at the other end of the park with Willo Flood snapping at his heels and stays on his feet and shoots and scores. We didn't look back after that and United rarely threatened from open play from there on in. My only worry at half time was we were only 1 goal ahead and had hit the post, hit the bar, and Reilly had rolled one narrowly past the post after winning a race with the United keeper to the ball on the edge of the box. I expected United to be more competitive in the second half but Morgan scoring 3 minutes after the re-start pretty much secured the result there and then.  United's keeper made a great flying save and the ref blew for offside as we knocked in a 3rd goal and then it was McShane's turn to score a peach from the edge of the box to make it 3-0. 

Thought the ref was decent today - 3 yellow cards to Dundee United in the first half was about right, although Flood could have been added to that but usually ended up being awarded a free kick instead of a booking! Good to see McMullan booked for diving and McDonald likewise for dissent. One of two of their defenders had late tackles after already being on a yellow.

I thought Liam Smith came on to a very good game before going off injured. He looked a bit nervous in the first 10 minutes with some bad touches and passes and miskicks but soon began making some great runs and linking up well with Morgan.

Over the 90 minutes everyone from Samson to Reilly played well. The score was great but the best thing was the gulf in standard between the two teams.  Beginning to feel like it could just be a Tom Hendrie-esque season with lots of wins and a decent amount of goals. Pleasing to have beaten Dundee United and Falkirk before the end of August.

If any scouts were watching today he will be off on Monday. Let's hope they weren't.

As good as Morgan is (and he's vital to our success this season) there are probably many more like him, Mallan, Magennis etc down South than we know.

We get really excited by a young player coming through but England is a big pool and there are a lot of young, talented players likely pushing for first team spots.

Morgan has pace and goals in him but he's still got to show he can deliver consistently over a season. Hopefully he gets the chance to do that with us this year.

10 minutes ago, farmer john said:

what was the basis of her cheats allegation?!

When their defenders kicked lumps out of Lewis Morgan on the rare occasions when they got anywhere near him they yelled he was diving and play-acting, and McMullan kept arguing with the referee about his booking for diving, probably also moaning about McDonald getting booked after being fouled as well (lol).

The fact is that after the first 15 minutes United rarely got near our goal from open play and their only threat for the other 75 minutes was from direct free kicks (2) just outside our box and from corners. We scored 3 great goals, and hit the post and bar and had another goal chalked off, and their keeper made a few good saves as well. I think the 'cheats' comment was 100% sour grapes

Just now, Dibbles old paperboy said:

When their defenders kicked lumps out of Lewis Morgan on the rare occasions when they got anywhere near him they yelled he was diving and play-acting, and McMullan kept arguing with the referee about his booking for diving, probably also moaning about McDonald getting booked after being fouled as well (lol).

The fact is that after the first 15 minutes United rarely got near our goal from open play and their only threat for the other 75 minutes was from direct free kicks (2) just outside our box and from corners. We scored 3 great goals, and hit the post and bar and had another goal chalked off, and their keeper made a few good saves as well. I think the 'cheats' comment was 100% sour grapes

Crack open a beer and say this to yourself in your best Dundonian accent... 'Cheats, yir' jist' cheats!'

That's why I smiled and walked on. Heh.

Been to 2 games this season Thistle & Morton (Goal Difference scored 1 lost 9) 3 league games I've missed (goal difference is scored 9 lost 2) apparently I've to stay away from now until may. Seriously though absolutely fantastic result.

THAT is usually how it works for us also.

I sympathise, we got to 12 games last season the first 9 were similar to your experience.

However, today was superb & the drive home in the morning will be more enjoyable :)

3 hours ago, TopCat said:

2-0

Morgan again. Some boy, another great finish.

This is going to be his last game for us if he keeps this up.

The speed at which you crush any joy in your life is really quite impressive.

Every silver lining has a cloud at least.

Guest TPAFKATS
To think...not that long ago, McMullan was keeping Morgan out of our team!!!

Wow.
Having said that though, I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to piint out the tactical genius and motivational skills of Alex Rae. We might've won 4-0 today if we'd kept him in charge...[emoji23]

Just now, TPAFKATS said:

Wow.
Having said that though, I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to piint out the tactical genius and motivational skills of Alex Rae. We might've won 4-0 today if we'd kept him in charge...emoji23.png

It was the tactical genius and motivational skills of Alex Rae that returned McMullan early from his loan spell. Murray was the one who preferred McMullan over Morgan... and Howieson over Morgan! It was also Rae who was in charge when Morgan signed a 1 year extension. But yes, he hated St Mirren youth players.