St Mirren v Dundee United SPFL Championship 26/8/17

shull

Thoroughly enjoyed today.  Twenty quid well spent! Imbibing a few sherbets to soothe my hoarse throat. Of course, Morgan was brilliant and arguably his presence was pivotal for us (how might it all have worked out but for his contribution?). For me, among the many unsung heroes was Reilly - great shift and unlucky not to notch up another goal. Liam Smith had a couple of moments but overall a good game. One of the (many) things that has impressed me is the cover (and therefore, the competition) we have for so many places.  Or am I just getting carried way? 

I came away from today's game also hoping, as Top Cat posted. that no scouts were there to watch Lewis Morgan. It sounds like the club and player have all agreed that he is highly valued at the club and the club reckon he will go on to have a better wage at a bigger club than what we can offer and the chances are he will leave in the summer, but he seems happy to aim to have another good full season at St Mirren and hopefully play a big part in winning us promotion.

If we were in bad shape financially and scouts were there to watch Morgan a performance like that would attract last minute bids, no doubt of the measly derisory level.

Brilliant performance today. Decided to go with my eldest and got our tickets 5 minutes before kick off. Went to the main stand for a change of view.
Glad we made it.

Every player was superb today and 3 nil doesn't tell the whole story.

Long may the good form continue.

That could be a really significant result.  Hopefully it will have the same effect, psychologically, as beating Hibs 2-0 the Stelios night. 

The past 6 weeks or so we've been waiting to see what kind of team we've got and there have been the usual ups and downs.  When the fixtures came out it was clear that today was going to be a marker. To tear United and their 100% record apart like that, well,  it's safe to say that JR's got us a good side again.

Absolutely no doubt now that the target is to win the title.

P.S. Clean sheet!

Edited by Julian Banjos

A magnificent Morgan masterclass to top off a fantastically dominant team performance. Special mention too for Baird, Buchanan and McShane who to me looks a smashing player despite others not being impressed. A real marker against the alleged favourites. We have to refuse anything under 500k for Morgan this week as surely we are under no pressure to sell. On that form he can rip this division asunder and earn a move to a proper top team.

I thought the most impressive aspect was the discipline involved in missing so many chances in order to avoid a 6-0 or 7-0 scoreline today that would have got Ray MacKinnon the sack!  Booting the ball over the crossbar from an open goal 1 yard out was particularly impressive.

That red card at Livingston last week may well turn out to be the best sending off in the history of the club.  The back 3 works very well, and allows Stelios to be covered if he pushes forwards (and Liam Smith too of course, who was excellent today) and allows Morgan, Smith and Reilly a fair amount of freedom to attack and move about as they wish.

Stephen McGinn looked up for it from the off today, and put in an excellent performance.  I had my doubts about Gavin Reilly but he has been a great signing.

I can't see Gary MacKenzie getting back in to the defence anytime soon now, a very positive development in my own humble opinion.  Davis coming in for Baird will make that a pretty strong back 5, and despite McShane having his best game for us today it will also be great to see Magennis back in alongside McGinn playing in this system.

It was interesting to see when we defended we got 10 men back and did not push further out than 35 yards, leaving United with the ball to do as they wished.  Which as it turned out was give it back to us, which was nice.

Only disappointment is not running up a cricket score, not often we get the chance to do that to a "bigger club".  We need to work on being a bit more ruthless in front of goal.  We will face sterner test than a really shambolic and spineless Dundee United team, but lots to be hopeful for this season if we can keep hold of Lewis Morgan and Jack Ross.

Just now, renfrew said:

I believe the club have offered Morgan a new deal but what I would like is an offer for 50% of his transfer fee goes to him

How exactly do we half our usual transfer fee of "half a twix and a can of irn bru"?

I believe the club have offered Morgan a new deal but what I would like is an offer for 50% of his transfer fee goes to him

Edit since I have a shit phone to add a long tern deal for him to sign so both us and him can make plenty of cash.

Just in and still buzzing. That was a superb performance from us today. The work ethic was brilliant right through the team. The players were hunting in packs and not giving Utd time to settle on the ball. Their only answer was to foul, McDonald's and Tom Daley's, sorry McMullan's bookings were enjoyable. The amount of second balls we won made a big difference. No messing at the back and slick passing through midfield and front line. Whole team were flying, led by McGinn, who was one of the main standouts for me.
Morgan is pivotal to our promotion push. If he does go, it will need to be for a fair whack. He was unplayable at times today, reminded me of a young Giggs today(at our relative level) and will only get better.
Special mention to Sammy today too, his save at 0-0 was vital.
Only wee downside was the badge hanging off my lad's new saints top after 2 minutes; surprised it hasn't been mentioned on here before[emoji12], but we'll get it stuck back on. It's easier to kiss at the moment anyway.
COYS!!!!!!

Baird was immense today. Every time the ball came in his direction, I expected him to win it. Buchanan, after looking very unsteady in the cup game against Livingston, now looks to be a revelation.

I genuinely believe that MacKenzie and Davis have a fight on their hands. Tremendous position to be in.

They've been sniffing around him for a while. Any lingering doubts they had will have been put to bed today.

Maybe they weren't watching though...?

Fingers crossed.....being optimistic here I'm thinking he will stay, might mean he walks for not a lot at the end of the season then so be it...I don't need to balance the books mind you so easy for me to say [emoji4]

Absolutely tremendous display from us. Morgan obviously the stand out but brilliant from everyone. Due to injuries and suspensions we seem to have lucked into a system that works. Today should hopefully have dispelled the doubts about Buchanan (which seemed to be, somewhat harshly, based on one game against Livingston) and was good to see McGinn and McShane can work together. McShane's set piece delivery was much better than in the other games I'd seen so that was pleasing too. First time I'd seen Liam Smith and he looked pretty handy, already a good understanding with Morgan. Hopefully his injury isn't too bad, although doubt he'd have been playing next week. Also great to see Reilly continually outmuscling United defenders.

Can't remember the last time we won three of our first four games - we did it in 1999/2000 but doubt we've managed it since then. What a difference from a year ago. We've beaten the two title favourites and we've deserved to as well. The results and performances suggest the game at Cappielow was very much the exception, rather than the rule.

We made a Dundee United side with a 100% record look utterly woeful today and my joy at that was capped off by the United media team just along from me having an utter meltdown at everything but their team's failings to the extent they were claiming non-existent fouls were penalties - like so:

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

It was the tactical genius and motivational skills of Alex Rae that returned McMullan early from his loan spell. Murray was the one who preferred McMullan over Morgan... and Howieson over Morgan! It was also Rae who was in charge when Morgan signed a 1 year extension. But yes, he hated St Mirren youth players.

Was Morgan not injured for a large chunk of the Murray/Rae season? Fairly sure he was starting games under Murray then disappeared and only returned at the end of the campaign.

Utterly irrelevant anyway - although Rae may have liked Morgan because he used to be at Rangers :ph34r:

Appreciate I may have been whooshed on this one. It's a long day.

Edited by Stu

Guest TPAFKATS

Wow.
Having said that though, I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to piint out the tactical genius and motivational skills of Alex Rae. We might've won 4-0 today if we'd kept him in charge...[emoji23]

It was the tactical genius and motivational skills of Alex Rae that returned McMullan early from his loan spell. Murray was the one who preferred McMullan over Morgan... and Howieson over Morgan! It was also Rae who was in charge when Morgan signed a 1 year extension. But yes, he hated St Mirren youth players.

Never took long [emoji3]