St Mirren v Dundee United SPFL Championship 26/8/17

shull

Guest TPAFKATS
It was very funny. He took the huff after his booking. Glorious!

Took the huff in the first minute when a team mates header went out the park.
Being a grumpy wee fud only works when you are playing well.

Morgan's performance today reminded me of Mallan's against Raith a few months ago.

The game where we won 5-0, where he scored 3 and set up the other 2.

Watched him that day and thought, what on earth are you doing still playing at this level....? You're far too good. He was off to the English championship a few weeks later...

6 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Morgan's performance today reminded me of Mallan's against Raith a few months ago.

Watched him that day and thought, what on earth are you doing still playing at this level....? You're far too good. He was off to the English championship a few weeks later...

But sadly not getting  a game :(

11 minutes ago, renfrew said:

But sadly not getting  a game :(

Not a problem. A temporary situation which his manager has openly said. Rather than putting the lad out on loan the coaches are working with him tweaking his game getting him ready for his, undoubted big impact.

I think Morgan would be more likely to walk into a team as he plays wide so not so much a problem with physique and his defensive qualities are, IMO, better than Stevie's.

I'm sure GLS is doing all he can to try to keep Morgan with us for longer, and may have tried this approach to a contract extension already but...

Offer him an immediate, substantial, raise.

Offer him a substantial share of any future transfer.

Include a reasonable release clause.

That way, Lewis gets more money immediately. He gets to keep playing first team football in a league with at least a bit of profile (as opposed to Mallan and McAllister), and if his visibility and performances lead to a move to an EPL team rather than a Championship or League 1 team, both parties benefit. 

I said exactly that to my nephew at full time.  The United defence couldn`t cope with him and the defence looked shit scared every time he got the ball

They did indeed, it didn't come to anything and in fact eventually he ran the ball into the keepers hands but there was a run down the right at 2-0 where they looked as if they had no idea what to do and just kept backing off till they were almost in their 6 yard box....

11 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I said exactly that to my nephew at full time.  The United defence couldn`t cope with him and the defence looked shit scared every time he got the ball

That Dundee United defence couldn't cope with anything. They couldn't cope with Morgan, they couldn't cope with Stelios. They couldn't cope with the interplay between McGinn and Reilly. They couldn't cope with the high balls we played over them that forced their carthorse Nos 4&5 to try and turn quickly. Their keeper couldn't cope - he allowed a corner to smack off his bar. He charged out of his goalmouth and missed everything - ball, Reilly, his own defender.... if anyone reading this lives near the 2021 - nip down and see if he's made it back onto his goal-line yet.

:lol:

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

That Dundee United defence couldn't cope with anything. They couldn't cope with Morgan, they couldn't cope with Stelios. They couldn't cope with the interplay between McGinn and Reilly. They couldn't cope with the high balls we played over them that forced their carthorse Nos 4&5 to try and turn quickly. Their keeper couldn't cope - he allowed a corner to smack off his bar. He charged out of his goalmouth and missed everything - ball, Reilly, his own defender.... if anyone reading this lives near the 2021 - nip down and see if he's made it back onto his goal-line yet.

:lol:

They couldn't with anything - or nothing at all either.  There were a couple of occasions where we were doing nothing at all and they still managed to take the ball and either set up a chance for us or give us a throw in.

I try not to be greedy but we really should have stuck a few more on the scoreline today.

8 minutes ago, Kemp said:

They couldn't with anything - or nothing at all either.  There were a couple of occasions where we were doing nothing at all and they still managed to take the ball and either set up a chance for us or give us a throw in.

I try not to be greedy but we really should have stuck a few more on the scoreline today.

Said to Drew during the game - the Arabs look to have thrown cash at Billy King, Scott McDonald and McMullan up front. Arguably, Willo Flood and Fraser Fyvie must be on a wedge.... midfielders.  At the back though, they were shocking. As you say, even when under no pressure, they couldn't find a team-mate with a simple pass. Jack clearly identified their defence as being the weak link, and very clearly sent his team out to get right into them and not to let up. We never did let up - could have been five or six. Reilly unlucky when the keeper charges out, the corner that hits the bar, several other chances... I never felt that we missed sitters or let them off the hook though. We never fannied about taking three touches when one would do. Some of our shots went in, some didn't. We were right on it from the first minute to the last. :)

Edited by pozbaird

Looked at the stats today and was surprised to see McShane got the assist for the first goal, thought it was McGinn that passed it and shows what I know, nowt...well done McShane and thought he played really well today...as did McGinn....

They didn't seem to give an assist for the 2nd goal, maybe because Morgan just did it all himself [emoji3][emoji3]

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

You're trying too hard, now.

Just go to bed.

Right where do we start. Fecking well done The Saints and “oh Louis Morgan on the wing” could be the obvious answer but what a fantastic day out.

Stoated across the country and encountered a few Jambo’s on my travels. They are not really a common sight on my cross-country exploits but the demise of Ian Cathro has obviously rekindled their interests and they seemed to be travelling in numbers. I left them behind at Motherwell and they were all brimming with confidence that John Daly’s emphasis on fitness as opposed to Cathro’s concentration on football was the answer to their woes.

Whilst that didn’t work out too well for them my concern was that Dundee Utd might out muscle us like they did last season and they would bully us out of a result.

A bite to eat in burger and keg and a catch up with old friends in the Bankhouse was followed by a wrong turning at the Argyll Bar and a beer with the Arabs who had made their way from Dundee and taken over the place. They were in good spirits and confident the league was theirs for the taking but they conceded they would have been happy to take a draw at the start of the game.

Man City scored in the 97th minute, whilst we were in there, and I felt for the Bournemouth fans as I hoped Dundee Utd wouldn’t do us the same way they had in our last two encounters by being more street wise than us.

Watching us play 5 at the back was a bit confusing at first but it quickly became apparent that Dundee Utd weren’t the same big, strong dominating team they were last season and Scot MacDonald wasn’t going to be the all-conquering hero. The saints looked the part and whilst it took till half way through the first half for us to dominate we were never really in any danger of conceding. Morgan had options left and right as he ventured forward but instead chose to slot it in the net. Dundee Utd were never at the races and the Saints were magnificent, Three-nil. Well who expected that? Outstanding result and Dundee Utd winning the league is no longer a given.

On today’s showing Dundee Utd are far from certainties for the league and it’s all to play for. We have to believe we can win this league. We’re only four games in and there’s a long way to go but do you know what? Based on today, We have as good a chance as anyone has of finishing top of the pile. In Jack we trust. Come on ye saints!!

I was quick to slate the referee last week, so feel I should acknowledge what I reckon was a very decent performance from Clancy today.

He slammed McMullan straight off (I actually thought it wasn't his worst dive:lol:) and the McDonald booking was a hoot - almost choreographed.

Otherwise, compared to Thomson and Co last week, it was a very good showing from the officials.

1 hour ago, Bobby_F said:

I'm sure GLS is doing all he can to try to keep Morgan with us for longer, and may have tried this approach to a contract extension already but...

Offer him an immediate, substantial, raise.

Offer him a substantial share of any future transfer.

Include a reasonable release clause.

That way, Lewis gets more money immediately. He gets to keep playing first team football in a league with at least a bit of profile (as opposed to Mallan and McAllister), and if his visibility and performances lead to a move to an EPL team rather than a Championship or League 1 team, both parties benefit. 

Failing all that is anyone any good at forging signatures? :o

50 minutes ago, gazah said:

Looked at the stats today and was surprised to see McShane got the assist for the first goal, thought it was McGinn that passed it and shows what I know, nowt...well done McShane and thought he played really well today...as did McGinn....

They didn't seem to give an assist for the 2nd goal, maybe because Morgan just did it all himself emoji3.pngemoji3.png

Pretty sure it WAS McGinn.