St Mirren v Dundee United SPFL Championship 26/8/17

shull

Of the two Dundee teams, I have a soft spot for United and watched them for a couple of seasons in the late 60s. (sorry Eaglesham ). Edged us out in the Challenge Cup Final and literally barged us out of a draw at least last time we met. A little revenge would be sweet by reversing these losses. COYS

Edited by St.Ricky

4 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Of the two Dundee teams, I have a soft spot for United and watched them for a couple of seasons in the late 60s. (sorry Eaglesham ). Edged us out in the Challenge Cup Final and literally barged us out of a draw at least last time we met. A little revenge would be sweet by reversing these losses. COYS

My favourite Saints victory over United was the 87 Cup Final. (I suspect most Saints fans will agree).  United were on paper the clear favourites, and had some really good players at the time, BUT what a team performance by us. The extra time made me late for a date.. but it was well worth it. The atmosphere was truly thrilling!

We are no where near full strength yet and we don't know if Gary Mac will be fit, and if we are appealing Irvine's red card ; but home advantage, guys like Buchanan fighting for a start again, etc. and it could certainly go our way.

Be positive, shoot on sight, shut them down, score the first goal (and all the others in the opposition goal), and keep their scorers at bay  (Also keeping 11 of our team on the park might be wise too).. We can win this coming weekend and be level on points with the favourites for winning this league!

Hunger, desire and committed teamwork, with a doze of skills and oodles of effort is what wins leagues. 

Jack tell these boys to go on become champions!!! COYS

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

My favourite Saints victory over United was the 87 Cup Final. (I suspect most Saints fans will agree).  United were on paper the clear favourites, and had some really good players at the time, BUT what a team performance by us. The extra time made me late for a date.. but it was well worth it. The atmosphere was truly thrilling!

We are no where near full strength yet and we don't know if Gary Mac will be fit, and if we are appealing Irvine's red card ; but home advantage, guys like Buchanan fighting for a start again, etc. and it could certainly go our way.

Be positive, shoot on sight, shut them down, score the first goal (and all the others in the opposition goal), and keep their scorers at bay  (Also keeping 11 of our team on the park might be wise too).. We can win this coming weekend and be level on points with the favourites for winning this league!

Hunger, desire and committed teamwork, with a doze of skills and oodles of effort is what wins leagues.

Jack tell these boys to go on become champions!!! COYS

I didn't enjoy the cup final at all. I was just a tense, fingernail biting wreck for the full 120 minutes. And because there was next to no entertainment on show there was no relief from this torture.

My favourite game against United is a bit of a random one.  Late 70s. Maybe our second season up. We scored early. Iain Munro leathered one from long range and it came back off the post only for Jimmy Bone to tuck it away. We held the lead for most of the match until wee Luggy equalised out of nothing. I was devastated for all of about 60 seconds. Frank McGarvey went on a wobbly legs run down the right wing. He hit over a cross come shot that came back of the bar this time and Bobby Torrance was on hand to nod it in. I'd have been about 11 or 12 at the time and remember going absolutely nuts. From gutted to delirious in no time.

Not sure why that game sticks out in my mind so much. Maybe it's because having beaten them so convincingly in the Cup in 77, when we actually got promoted I'm sure we had pretty slim pickings against them to begin with. so maybe I was just so glad that we'd actually beaten them. That and the fact that they were always considered a great scalp back in those days.

So my favourite game is a largely meaningless league game from the late 70s that for no apparent reason sticks in my mind. Funny old game. 

I don't mind any of the old school Arabs from the days of Sturrock, Narey, Malpas... whoever. Loved pumping them in the cup final. Loved pumping them in the Adidas Sambas on ice game, and loved pumping them 4-1 in the Archie MacPherson 'oooohh that's a honey of a goal!' game.

Heh, heh.

22 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I didn't enjoy the cup final at all. I was just a tense, fingernail biting wreck for the full 120 minutes. And because there was next to no entertainment on show there was no relief from this torture.

My favourite game against United is a bit of a random one.  Late 70s. Maybe our second season up. We scored early. Iain Munro leathered one from long range and it came back off the post only for Jimmy Bone to tuck it away. We held the lead for most of the match until wee Luggy equalised out of nothing. I was devastated for all of about 60 seconds. Frank McGarvey went on a wobbly legs run down the right wing. He hit over a cross come shot that came back of the bar this time and Bobby Torrance was on hand to nod it in. I'd have been about 11 or 12 at the time and remember going absolutely nuts. From gutted to delirious in no time.

Not sure why that game sticks out in my mind so much. Maybe it's because having beaten them so convincingly in the Cup in 77, when we actually got promoted I'm sure we had pretty slim pickings against them to begin with. so maybe I was just so glad that we'd actually beaten them. That and the fact that they were always considered a great scalp back in those days.

So my favourite game is a largely meaningless league game from the late 70s that for no apparent reason sticks in my mind. Funny old game. 

I was too young to remember that one! But I do remember McGarvey and Torrance scoring a few

24 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

I was too young to remember that one! But I do remember McGarvey and Torrance scoring a few

Torrance 2, McGarvey and Stark.  Fantastic game in front of a big crowd.  16,000 or there about.  Same season big Copland had just re- join us from Utd.

Missed the Livi game due to work commitments but coming through to Paisley for this one.  I nicked online booked two Train tickets and thought just to be on the safe side I'll order tickets for the match online too just in case a massive support arrives at the ground before I leave the pub and I can't get a ticket on the day. Get as far as Buy tickets select seats and nothing appears. I've read about  you guys moaning about the ticket website in the past and normally I don't have any bother getting tickets online but today I'm joining you in decrying the inept product that interstadia provide. I suppose if it's good enough for Morton That's enough said.

7 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Missed the Livi game due to work commitments but coming through to Paisley for this one.  I nicked online booked two Train tickets and thought just to be on the safe side I'll order tickets for the match online too just in case a massive support arrives at the ground before I leave the pub and I can't get a ticket on the day. Get as far as Buy tickets select seats and nothing appears. I've read about  you guys moaning about the ticket website in the past and normally I don't have any bother getting tickets online but today I'm joining you in decrying the inept product that interstadia provide. I suppose if it's good enough for Morton That's enough said.

Phone the Ticket Office.. The girls do an outstanding job. They will sort you with great efficiency. 

2 minutes ago, shull said:

Phone the Ticket Office.. The girls do an outstanding job. They will sort you with great efficiency. 

Cheers Shull, I'm sure they would. The point is Interstadia deal with lots of clubs in the leagues. Us, Partick, Morton, Falkirk, Dunfermline, etc. They must get paid a fortune to provide these facilities and they don't deliver if the comments on this site are anything to go by. This is the first problem I've had but its certainly not the first to be mentioned on the forum. I've been trying off and on for over two hours to get past the Buy tickets- select seats page which just remains blank.  If that happens on every club website that's god knows hows many hours fans can't buy tickets for games and in days where online technology is supposed to make life easy Interstadia are just not up to the task.  I bet they do the catering at Cappielaw too. It took longer to get a bovril at Morton and there was no coding or internet access required there. I'd have been quicker ordering a delivery and looks like on Saturday I'll just have to queue for a ticket. Waste of good fecking drinking time.  REALITY CHECK>>>> I'd better stop moaning I'm beginning to act like SHULL. Honest I'm not ranting just to boost my post count.AAEAAQAAAAAAAAXnAAAAJDZlMmUxOGJjLWU5ZDct

one of my first and best away games was(a think)4-1 buds tannadice,Keith walker,Paul Chalmers scored,a think George shaw,in the 80's,can't remember much more,also a game at love street and Stevie Clarke scored a screamer but ref blew whistle for half time when ball was flying into Dundee utd net,anyone else got more details,ta

1 hour ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Cheers Shull, I'm sure they would. The point is Interstadia deal with lots of clubs in the leagues. Us, Partick, Morton, Falkirk, Dunfermline, etc. They must get paid a fortune to provide these facilities and they don't deliver if the comments on this site are anything to go by. This is the first problem I've had but its certainly not the first to be mentioned on the forum. I've been trying off and on for over two hours to get past the Buy tickets- select seats page which just remains blank.  If that happens on every club website that's god knows hows many hours fans can't buy tickets for games and in days where online technology is supposed to make life easy Interstadia are just not up to the task.  I bet they do the catering at Cappielaw too. It took longer to get a bovril at Morton and there was no coding or internet access required there. I'd have been quicker ordering a delivery and looks like on Saturday I'll just have to queue for a ticket. Waste of good fecking drinking time.  REALITY CHECK>>>> I'd better stop moaning I'm beginning to act like SHULL. Honest I'm not ranting just to boost my post count.AAEAAQAAAAAAAAXnAAAAJDZlMmUxOGJjLWU5ZDct

If you are using safari, when you see buy tickets -select seats, go to the VIEW drop down menu, and select reload plug-ins. this will bring up the seating plan !

1 hour ago, East Lothian Saint said:

My god, you can fecking moan awright :lol:

The Ticket Website is frustrating. Was on it at the weekend and it was down a few times. I persevered and got what I was wanting. Keep trying.

If not, phone Club in the morning and tickets will arrive on Wednesday.

Could be very very busy on Saturday.

Ans quit whining :D

Edited by shull

14 minutes ago, sally02 said:

If you are using safari, when you see buy tickets -select seats, go to the VIEW drop down menu, and select reload plug-ins. this will bring up the seating plan !

I'm using chrome. Actually I fired up the site on Firefox and it works fine there. It normally works OK on Chrome so something must have been updated or un plugged or something.  It was a browser issue. Thanks I wasn't using safari but you solved the problem

1 minute ago, shull said:

My god, you can fecking moan awright :lol:

The Ticket Website is frustrating. Was on it at the weekend and it was dpown a few times. I persevered and got what I was wanting. Keep trying.

If not, phone Club in the morning and tickets will arrive on Wednesday.

Could be very very busy on Saturday.

Ans quit whining :D

Cheers Shull. It was just a wee rant. Of Course I'll keep trying. I'm No wasting valuable drinking time waiting in a queue for a ticket. There will be enough queuing at the Bovril stall