Craig Thomson

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Absolutely, but for the fact that it wasn't two footed and studs up<_<

The photos on the match thread clearly show that. Thomson couldn't get his card out quick enough. He had a complete stinker today.

Reminded me of when Brines used to ref one of our matches , most ended up being controversial because we usually got he-haw. .

Interesting to hear Jack Ross come out and say that a few of his players and even Gary Irvine thought it probably was a red card. 

Said something a long the lines of " The frustration of losing possession resulted in him stretching with the studs showing, you always run the risk of a red card".

Pretty much my interpretation of events. 

Edited by davidg

Can't really comment on the red card because it was at the opposite side and I didn't have a great view but a number of the decisions were baffling and inconsistent. 

He did well pulling the play back for the free kick that we scored the second for after no advantage was possible, but overall I think he seemed to look at most decisions on the assumption that is should be against saints. 

In many ways he gave me the impression that he was ready to chuck it and didn't really care. 

I like Craig but today he had a howler.His failure to caution the Livi guy and even a foul for the second half challenge on Morgan was outrageous to say the least.The guy totally barged Lewis right in front of us and how he and the assistant ref missed that is beyond me. Even the corner taken by Livi leading to their goal was taken with the ball clearly outside the circle. Officials today totally incompetent in my opinion but shouldn't in any way detract from our win.

1 hour ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

I like Craig but today he had a howler.His failure to caution the Livi guy and even a foul for the second half challenge on Morgan was outrageous to say the least.The guy totally barged Lewis right in front of us and how he and the assistant ref missed that is beyond me. Even the corner taken by Livi leading to their goal was taken with the ball clearly outside the circle. Officials today totally incompetent in my opinion but shouldn't in any way detract from our win.

Assistant refs rarely get involved - not without the ref giving them their cue first .

55 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Ref still has discretion on that one apparently. .

According to Thompson according to Jack Ross!

Jack was briefed by the ref supervisor who allegedly did not make this clear.

Someone else has posted that this is actually NOT the case.

I look forward to a definitive answer. 

10 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Definitive answer and Scottish football equate somewhat similarly to 'intelligence' being 'supposedly' the middle word in CIA

Just now, jaybee said:

Definitive answer and Scottish football equate somewhat similarly to 'intelligence' being 'supposedly' the middle word in CIA

The sheer irony that Jack's reaction was fueled by knowledge gained at a meeting with the referee supervisor should not be lost.

If anything, it should be used to highlight that either the referees supervisor... or the referee is incompetent!

I can't wait to find out which one apologises to him first!!!

7 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Oh I can imagine that Thomson is not the easiest person to talk to after a match . .

However , l think yesterday proved that if there is a man that will get us promoted it is Jack Ross . .

Whether or not it merited a sending off, it was a reckless tackle by Irvine.

In this day and age, given the apparent gusto with which most of our barely competent referees seem to possess, when it comes to sending off players, it's not a sensible thing to do.

Irvine shouldn't have put himself in a position which gave Thomson a judgement to make on fit punishment for that type of tackle.

It would seem to me that the second point regarding an injured player leaving the pitch requires an immediate statement from the appropriate governing body, as to what exactly are the rules in this scenario, as there seems to be a grey area.

Edited by FTOF

9 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Whether or not it merited a sending off, it was a reckless tackle by Irvine.

In this day and age, given the apparent gusto with which most of our barely competent referees seem to possess when it comes to sending off players, it's not a sensible thing to do.

Irvine shouldn't have put himself in the position, which gave Thomson a judgement to make on fit punishment for that type of tackle.

The thing is, where is the line drawn between a hard, committed tackle, and a reckless challenge?

At the time, I thought it was a strong, fair tackle. It looked to me that he won the ball, or, at the very least, was certainly trying to.  What might be described as a 50-50. It wasn't two-footed, and there was no straight leg.

The whole 'studs up' thing is a strange one. Given Irvine's position - ie: he was effectively down on one knee, its hard to imagine how his foot could have been in any other position.  I've seen players win a ball in that way numerous times.

Thomson didn't blink before producing the red. He must have been very certain that it was warranted. It will get to the stage that defenders will be scared to put a tackle in. That's crazy. Carrick wasn't badly hurt, and Irvine wasn't looking to take him out.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think there has to be a bit of blood and guts in the game.

In this day and age, given the apparent gusto with which most of our barely competent referees seem to possess when it comes to sending off players, it's not a sensible thing to do.

I agree with this completely. I think that some (most?) referees are increasingly happy to flash cards, including reds, on a weekly basis. Red cards used to be rare and a last resort for the most serious offences. The only time that the issue of managing a game without cards is raised is when there's an OF game and maybe a cup final.

I'm getting older, the game's changing and it's not as good as used to be in the olden days [emoji849].

44 minutes ago, Edinbuddie said:

I agree with this completely. I think that some (most?) referees are increasingly happy to flash cards, including reds, on a weekly basis. Red cards used to be rare and a last resort for the most serious offences. The only time that the issue of managing a game without cards is raised is when there's an OF game and maybe a cup final.

I'm getting older, the game's changing and it's not as good as used to be in the olden days emoji849.png.

Aye.

I should have added in my post that, had the challenge been from Carrick on Irvine, I would no doubt have been screaming for a red. I concede that I'm an outrageous hypocrite when it comes to the fitba:ph34r:

14 hours ago, davidg said:

Interesting to hear Jack Ross come out and say that a few of his players and even Gary Irvine thought it probably was a red card. 

Said something a long the lines of " The frustration of losing possession resulted in him stretching with the studs showing, you always run the risk of a red card".

Pretty much my interpretation of events. 

Won't be appealing it then. Is it a 2 or 3 match ban for violent conduct ?