Craig Thomson

The thing is, where is the line drawn between a hard, committed tackle, and a reckless challenge?
At the time, I thought it was a strong, fair tackle. It looked to me that he won the ball, or, at the very least, was certainly trying to.  What might be described as a 50-50. It wasn't two-footed, and there was no straight leg.
The whole 'studs up' thing is a strange one. Given Irvine's position - ie: he was effectively down on one knee, its hard to imagine how his foot could have been in any other position.  I've seen players win a ball in that way numerous times.
Thomson didn't blink before producing the red. He must have been very certain that it was warranted. It will get to the stage that defenders will be scared to put a tackle in. That's crazy. Carrick wasn't badly hurt, and Irvine wasn't looking to take him out.
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think there has to be a bit of blood and guts in the game.

100% agree. The way the rules and officials are going, it's virtually becoming a non-contact sport. Not every contact between players is a foul, yet it always seems to be given that way. Tackling is a core element of the game, and should not be vilified to the extent it is. I don't buy the 'it was reckless' nonsense that's often spouted literally just because the tackle was a slide tackle, and I'm saying that as someone who's had their leg broken twice by tackles on the football pitch.

I initially thought it might have been two footed but was wrong.  It looked like an over aggressive challenge after he seemed to lose the ball. The ref was right in my opinion. 

Secondly. Whatever the rights or wrongs regarding the referees decisions following the Stellios injury, Jack seemed to both leave the technical area and to verbally berate the official. Only one outcome there whether it had been our manager or theirs.

Great use of advantage rule for both sides.

Again...for me..a mixed performance but I would give him 7 out of 10.

I know many might take a different view.

3 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I initially thought it might have been two footed but was wrong.  It looked like an over aggressive challenge after he seemed to lose the ball. The ref was right in my opinion. 

Secondly. Whatever the rights or wrongs regarding the referees decisions following the Stellios injury, Jack seemed to both leave the technical area and to verbally berate the official. Only one outcome there whether it had been our manager or theirs.

Great use of advantage rule for both sides.

Again...for me..a mixed performance but I would give him 7 out of 10.

I know many might take a different view.

Fair points and after watching the highlights it reminded me that both our 2nd half goals came from free kicks given by the referee. 

The sheer irony that Jack's reaction was fueled by knowledge gained at a meeting with the referee supervisor should not be lost.
If anything, it should be used to highlight that either the referees supervisor... or the referee is incompetent!
I can't wait to find out which one apologises to him first!!!

Maybe Jack Ross didn't listen properly?

What might be described as a 50-50. It wasn't two-footed, and there was no straight leg.

It looked straight leg to me and the photos seem to back it up.

For me, my initial reaction was that he was going to get a red card as soon as he made the tackle.

I didn't have that reaction with any other tackles on Saturday.

IMO, the ref got it right.

12 minutes ago, Warwick Hunt said:

Maybe Jack Ross didn't listen properly?

Noticed today in the Spurs Chelsea game the exact same thing happened. 

Player injured as the result of a bad challenge. Player who committed foul is booked. Injured player receives treatment and is then ordered off before being allowed back on. 

Nobody goes mental, crowd react pretty normally and the game continues. 

Player injured as the result of a bad challenge. Player who committed foul is booked. Injured player receives treatment and is then ordered off before being allowed back on. 

Maybe the referee supervisor hadn't just briefed them.

15 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Maybe the referee supervisor hadn't just briefed them.

I highly doubt the referee supervisor briefed the fans around me who were foaming at the mouth whilst shouting obscenities at Craig Thomson. 

And on they note, why do some people not show some consideration whilst sitting directly behind youngsters? 

Guy behind me who I won't name, well kent face at SMP and respected saints fan sat directly behind my 7 year old son. The whole match he shouted and bawled at the top of his voice at the referee. Every swear word you could imagine was used whilst spitting all over my wee boy. 

We deliberately sat away from the singing section, who do a great job  btw. I have no problem with them but I know there might be some boisterous behaviour so I don't sit beside them. No doubt my boy will be in there when he's 18 but at 7 he's still a bit young for all of that.  

I know we're at the football, I know you can't wrap them in cotton wool but FFS,  we got 90 minutes of non stop foul abusive language. 

This is from a pretty normal middle aged man, not pished out his tits showing no consideration for the 7 year old he's leaning over the top of. Or several kids round about him. 

Sorry for the rant but I wish some people would just think about who's around them before the open their mouth in that way. 

Edited by davidg

I highly doubt the referee supervisor briefed tha fans around me who were foaming at the mouth whilst shouting obscenities at Craig Thomson. 
And on they note, why do some people not show some consideration whilst sitting directly behind youngsters? 
Guy behind me who I won't name, well kent face at SMP and respected saints fan sat directly behind my 7 year old son. The whole match he shouted and bawled at the top of his voice at the referee. Every swear word you could imagine was used whilst spitting all over my wee boy. 
We deliberately sat away from the singing section, who do a great job  btw but got 90 minutes of non stop fould abusive language. 
I know we're at the football, I know you can't wrap them in cotton wool but FFS,  this is a pretty normal middle aged man, not pished out his tits showing no consideration for the 7 year old he's leaning over the top of. Or several kids round about him. 
Sorry for the rant but I wish some people would just think about who's around them before the open their mouth in that way. 

I remember my Dad berating a fan behind us for the same thing... In 1977!

I survived.

11 minutes ago, davidg said:

I highly doubt the referee supervisor briefed the fans around me who were foaming at the mouth whilst shouting obscenities at Craig Thomson. 

We deliberately sat away from the singing section, who do a great job  btw. I have no problem with them but I know there might be some boisterous behaviour so I don't sit beside them. No doubt my boy will be in there when he's 18 but at 7 he's still a bit young for all of that.  

I know we're at the football, I know you can't wrap them in cotton wool but FFS,  we got 90 minutes of non stop foul abusive language. 

This is from a pretty normal middle aged man, not pished out his tits showing no consideration for the 7 year old he's leaning over the top of. Or several kids round about him. 

Sorry David but, if you want the sensitive ears protected, that's what the family stand was introduced for. While I don't condone his behaviour, you must have expected less than moderate language when picking your vantage point.

3 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Sorry David but, if you want the sensitive ears protected, that's what the family stand was introduced for. While I don't condone his behaviour, you must have expected less than moderate language when picking your vantage point.

I have a season ticket in the family stand which is great. This was away at Livy, no family stand. 

I chose my vantage point pretty carefully. As far away from the singing section as I could. 

Edited by davidg

1 hour ago, zurich_allan said:

100% agree. The way the rules and officials are going, it's virtually becoming a non-contact sport. Not every contact between players is a foul, yet it always seems to be given that way. Tackling is a core element of the game, and should not be vilified to the extent it is. I don't buy the 'it was reckless' nonsense that's often spouted literally just because the tackle was a slide tackle, and I'm saying that as someone who's had their leg broken twice by tackles on the football pitch.

In the end it is the Ref's call to make but the challenge was nowhere near as bad as 2 or 3 challenges that went unpunished in the Dundee "friendly" . .

. .funny old game . .

Just now, davidg said:

I have a season ticket in the family stand which is great. This was away at Livy, no family stand. 

My bad David. Should never answer in haste but I still believe you can't expect Sainthood from fans. It seems folly to think, in the heat of a match, people will change their behaviour pattern because a young lad was around them.

1 hour ago, davidg said:

But FFs,Cant think for a minute what that means.We stopped Logan from attending games for a while because he started copying some of the shouts. The secret was to teach him that the shouts were wrong.As for spitting over the wee man i can only say that i would have had a word in the perpetrators shell.Overall the support was fantastic yesterday and  the players reacted but if its detrimental to our younger supporters it should be addressed.On a more personal note David all the best for tomorrow.God bless

7 minutes ago, northendsaint said:

But FFs,Cant think for a minute what that means.We stopped Logan from attending games for a while because he started copying some of the shouts. The secret was to teach him that the shouts were wrong.As for spitting over the wee man i can only say that i would have had a word in the perpetrators shell.Overall the support was fantastic yesterday and  the players reacted but if its detrimental to our younger supporters it should be addressed.On a more personal note David all the best for tomorrow.God bless

Thanks Ian x

I'm probably guilty of using a bit too much industrial language on Saturday. Nothing too extreme, but, on reflection, I should have toned it down.

It can be a bit of a challenge containing yourself at the fitba sometimes, but OTT language and aggressive posturing isn't really on when there are young kids in the vicinity.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't sitting directly behind a 7 year old, though:ph34r:

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:40 PM, davidg said:

The thing is, it made no bloody difference!

Stelios was back on within seconds.

The foul was a booking but IMO, Thomson put Stelios off because he thought he was milking it. IMO, he was milking it.

It was funny to watch though!

Edited by Warwick Hunt