St Mirren v Inverness CT. SPFL Championship 9/9/17

shull

Thoroughly enjoyed that.

Irvine in the makeshift wing-back role didn't really work for me, and we gave them too much space through the middle at times, but it was an entertaining, open match if a bit messy at times.

Going forward, we always look very potent. Great to watch.

What a day. Brilliant. Game of the season so far. I was on my seat, off my seat and screaming till I was hoarse. The defence were tested but it was like, score two if you like. We'll score three. Feck it we'll score four. Waiting on the league table on TV in the 1877 club was spine chilling. A full two minute whoa! Before the table changed to show saints at the top and the bar went crazy. Outstanding. Great day to be a bid and it ain't finished yet. Heavenly. We want more.

We won today IN SPITE of Collum. He denied us a penalty on 3 occasions. At  least two were  stonewallers. I thought we were really nervous looking at the beginning of the second half and were maybe lucky not to be punished more. I agree their second was ok as the ball came off one of our lads but that linesman was flagging furiously so I don't blame our players for being a bit static. The great thing is our heads don't go down when the opposition draw level or take the lead. There is a belief in this team that we will recover and score goals which is what we did. Morgan is a serious talent. Probably the best prospect we've had in years. Let's just enjoy the lad for the next couple of months and hope there is another gem waiting to take his place. Connor O'Keefe maybe?

ETA. By the way. Has anyone mentioned we're top of the league?

Edited by stlucifer

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 3:24 PM, Sweeper07 said:

From the highlights I saw, ICT looked ok against Brechin.. but after the first, the Brechin player's heads went down and they don't look very good at all - not surprising as they have not really invested in their squad. I would be surprised if they do not finish on the lowest rung this season.

ICT faced the same turmoil we faced after relegation.. cut the wage bill, offload the better players who were on the better money and then take loads of chances with the guys who were available and within their new budget constraints.

I think that they have got a mixed bag. They still have a number of players who learned how to be beaten too often in the Premiership and brought in folk like  Cooper who was not good enough for us and Coll Donaldson who was deemed not good enough for Dundee Utd. (Actually he might be decent in the long term). Iain Vigurs and John Baird will do a job for them, but if they face a St. Mirren team like the one that showed up last Saturday it could easily be a 5 v 1 to the Buddies..

Personally,  taking the 3 points is THE primary target, a clean sheet would be a fabulous bonus, and no injury's would be icing on the cake.. I hope a few others get among the goals.. winning and a spread of guys scoring in a winning team makes a team stronger and more successful - it takes the pressure off of everyone, front to back.

My predictions then :-

St Mirren 4 v 1 ICT  

Crowd      Big

Saints fans       HAPPY  and 

a goal from a centre back Baird or Buchanan  in the mix with Smith and McShane back on the score sheet and at least one from the Morgan.

O W T S G M I   I W T B I T N

~From what I have read - only two of the forum thought we would score 4 today..... the other suggesting 4 v 0...

I am disappointed the defence lost two today .. but my other predictions were not too shabby...

Well done to JR and everyone at St. Mirren  ... this kind of behaviour is making being a Saints fan a brilliant experience once again  .. .  go on next week and put some light between the league winners and the also rans....

We were very ordinary today, i've seen us play a lot better and lose. That's league winning material. We have 3 very important player to come back... win the next 3 games and i think we'll stay there for the whole season.  Oh and Morgan is a joy to watch and will win us loads of games this season. COYS!!!

We're top of the league and you're no! Happy days!

Didn't play well but still won. Sign of a great side and we have as good a chance as anyone of winning this league.

This season we really should be looking to get a minimum of 5,000 home fans at each home game. Please spread the word and bring a buddie to each of the next few home games. This side deserve a packed stadium behind them every week. I would love to see the club push another bring a buddie campaign. This side under Ross are going places. Lap it up buddies.

We really are going in the right direction with key players like McGennis, Davis and Gary Mac still to return.

Have a great Saturday night every buddie! Off out into Glasgow with Mrs Zo to celebrate. :-)

3 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Forgot to mention that the sign of a poor referee is being the centre of attention during a game... Willie Collum is a shit referee.

Sorry to challenge your opinion but I actually thought poor Willie C got unjustified stick from many of our fans today.

A couple of very strong penalty shouts went against us, maybe a braver referee would have awarded them.

But he can only be praised for over-ruling his assistant for ICT's second goal. He got pelters from dozens of fans near me in W2 but it was the assistant who got it wrong, Collum was dead right.

Makes a change, he usually is a complete tit.

Thought we were poor for first 70 mins not working hard enough closing down or finding space . Last 20 we showed our quality going forward stepped it up and scored some great goals. It is a good sign that we played far from our best and still won,  if we can tighten up at back and keep all our forward players here and fit  we shoiuld be there or there abouts at the end of the season. Next week is massive hope we keep the feel good factor going.

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Sorry to challenge your opinion but I actually thought poor Willie C got unjustified stick from many of our fans today.

A couple of very strong penalty shouts went against us, maybe a braver referee would have awarded them.

But he can only be praised for over-ruling his assistant for ICT's second goal. He got pelters from dozens of fans near me in W2 but it was the assistant who got it wrong, Collum was dead right.

Makes a change, he usually is a complete tit.

You have no arguments from me  for their 2nd goal, i had noted that our player touched it last but he definitely denied us 2 stonewall penalties.

Edited by proudtobeabuddy

Loads of good point today besides the 3 that took us top of the League. :)

We have been playing well with 3 at the back but today we were suspect mostly because of Irvine leaving huge gaps by not covering. Hover once Jack changed it to 4 we were able to play the ball from the back and got on a lot better passing it on the deck. Well done Jack.

Brilliant save by Sammy at 2-1 and generally had a good game. ICT are a big team and corners were a threat but he did admirably.

What has Reilly to do to get a M-o-M award?  His lay off for Morgan was sheer class. His persistence charging forward as a wee guy against 2 big defenders let Smith get the shot away for the 3rd and he himself scored the second. I love wee Morgan but please give Gavin a wee reward now and then. :) 

Anyway I thought we were well on top today but Collum did his best to thwart us. When 3,500 sing that they do not think you are very good does it not register?

The bandwagon rolls on to Dunfermline next week. Bring it on.

Utterly breathless stuff. Our will to win is totally fantastic and beyond anything displayed by the Hendry or Gus league winning teams. We won today despite Column and my earlier post that we would win regardless of his performance seems prophetic now, he was utterly deplorable to both teams. Today saw us at our gutsiest best and Morgan, McShane and Sammy were superb. Despite me now missing umpteen games until Morton at home I truly believe this is a championship season.

Well Mr Collum as true to form absolutely hopeless. Despite him a great result. Not our best performance but got the points. Buchanan was excellent again especially after being booked so early. And the PA guy might get one right Buckie scored not Reilly lol. No let downs. Great effort and 3rd and 4th goals were superb.

That was a very average performance with a fantastic result. Thought we were very fortunate and the score line flattered us. The type of match we would have lost 4-2 this time last year. 

The formation has worked well but today Inveresss set up intelligently, played 3 up top for large parts and dragged out centre halves all over the place. They've had a poor start but I'm sure the will have a good chance of being involved in the playoffs. 

Lewis Morgan is different gravy. 

Superb day out for me and the wife today, went to see IT at the odeon then off to see st mirren park to see us tear it up again, Lewis Morgan is unbelievable, booth footed, rapid, glides by players as if they aren't there, even the wife who doesn't know anything about football turns around and says "number 10 is good eh".

Currently having a pint in the brewers Fayre at Dumbarton, happy days :)

11 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Well Mr Collum as true to form absolutely hopeless. Despite him a great result. Not our best performance but got the points. Buchanan was excellent again especially after being booked so early. And the PA guy might get one right Buckie scored not Reilly lol. No let downs. Great effort and 3rd and 4th goals were superb.

Ive got to admit , i didnt think Buchanans effort had crossed the line and Reilly poked it home . The Beeb originally reported it as Reilly then after the game they had changed it. 

But you know what , who cares :) we showed again today we have threats all over the park :thumbs2