The Politics Thread

shull

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You can easily feed a family of 5 on £60 to £80 per week. I know because that is what I used to spend for years until my kids left home. To spend this on a household of just 3 people and then claim to need foodbanks is feckless in my opinion. These people need help drawing up a food budget.

I think your arithmetic is wrong. £400 a month is £100 per week not £50.

Our views are not too dissimilar actually and I agree with your other points.

BTW I am not remotely interested in helping anyone who gets into this sort of trouble. I am glad others do get involved but I genuinely dont care enough about people who wont accept personal responsibility to help out. I actually cant think of anything worse.  It would be a waste of my time and it would continue the theme of dependency which is the root cause of many of these problems. Anyone out there want to know how to budget? Get a book from the library or better yet use f**king Google and stop being so bloody lazy.

Oaky is obviously an "I'm alright Jack" personality who lives in a wee world of his own. He doesn't seem to realise that everyone is not as intelligent - or is it obsessive? - as he. He may be right when he says that "you can easily feed a family of 5 on £60 to £80 per week" (£8 to £12/day or around £2/day per person), although I find that difficult to believe.  Food is not the only expense a family has, and he has no idea of the income of the affected families.

For someone who professes to be highly intelligent he seems to be unable to see the wood for the trees.

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Really?

Easily?

£2 a day for each person?

When was the last time you went shopping?

PS Seen this and thought of you......................

Image may contain: text

I think he's right. I do the shopping for my household of 5 online and I seldom spend more than £70. That would work out at £2 per day per person and it includes cleaning products, dishwasher tablets etc.

I think the knack is in cooking from scratch rather than buying ready meals and not wasting money on buying ridiculous packaged items liked chopped carrots or chopped onions. That and pre planning your meals for the whole week and not buying more than you need. Last night the wife had something on TV where the TV personality making a chicken tikka claimed their version cost 77p per portion - it looked very nice. 

2 hours ago, smcc said:

Oaky is obviously an "I'm alright Jack" personality who lives in a wee world of his own. He doesn't seem to realise that everyone is not as intelligent - or is it obsessive? - as he. He may be right when he says that "you can easily feed a family of 5 on £60 to £80 per week" (£8 to £12/day or around £2/day per person), although I find that difficult to believe.  Food is not the only expense a family has, and he has no idea of the income of the affected families.

For someone who professes to be highly intelligent he seems to be unable to see the wood for the trees.

Of course food isn't the only expense but if you followed the exchange you'll see he was challenging one specific item on a fictitious budget that claimed a family of three would need £100 per week for food. That might well be the case if the family concerned are confusing Just Eat with their kitchen 

2 minutes ago, Bellside Bud said:

I think he's right. I do the shopping for my household of 5 online and I seldom spend more than £70. That would work out at £2 per day per person and it includes cleaning products, dishwasher tablets etc.

I think the knack is in cooking from scratch rather than buying ready meals and not wasting money on buying ridiculous packaged items liked chopped carrots or chopped onions. That and pre planning your meals for the whole week and not buying more than you need. Last night the wife had something on TV where the TV personality making a chicken tikka claimed their version cost 77p per portion - it looked very nice. 

I would doubt your £70 covers everything for the week.

3 meals a day for 5 people, not including snacks etc, add in items that are required every day or two (milk, bread etc) and I think you would be struggling.

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Really?

Easily?

£2 a day for each person?

When was the last time you went shopping?

PS Seen this and thought of you......................

Image may contain: text

I have no idea why you are breaking it down per day.

Are you unable to process what £60 to £80 a week in food looks like?

1 hour ago, Bellside Bud said:

Thank goodness. I was beginning to think I was the only person capable of running a household budget. :lol:

You are quite correct. It requires largely cooking fron scratch.

58 minutes ago, Bellside Bud said:

Of course food isn't the only expense but if you followed the exchange you'll see he was challenging one specific item on a fictitious budget that claimed a family of three would need £100 per week for food. That might well be the case if the family concerned are confusing Just Eat with their kitchen 

I just sprayed my floor with tea. :lol:

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

I would doubt your £70 covers everything for the week.

3 meals a day for 5 people, not including snacks etc, add in items that are required every day or two (milk, bread etc) and I think you would be struggling.

Bread and Snacks? :lol:

On top of 3 meals a day? :lol:

Edited by oaksoft

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Can you give me some examples, rather than just going into your normal mode of deflection?

No. You are the one pouring scorn on my food budget.

The onus is on you to "fess up" and show me your budget. I will then show you where you are overspending.

3 hours ago, smcc said:

Tell you what. Show me your food budget for the week and I will show you how to trim it and still eat well.

Cant say fairer than that.

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

:lol:

You're funny. :byebye

Need to go, food to eat and football to watch.

Yeah that midlife spread wont grow by itself.

Do you guys eat from plates or do you eat straight from the trough?

No really. I am fascinated to know what food you people are managing to gorge your way through that you need to be spending more than £80 a week. 

When you send me your food budget, supply your waist measurement and a photo for proof.:lol:

Edited by oaksoft

12 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Yeah that midlife spread wont grow by itself.

Do you guys eat from plates or do you eat straight from the trough?

No really. I am fascinated to know what food you people are managing to gorge your way through that you need to be spending more than £80 a week. 

When you send me your food budget, supply your waist measurement and a photo for proof.:lol:

Wow, so you produce a figure of a weekly food bill for 5 people but, apart from going into your usual "anything but answer the question" you have no proof? :lol

Oh dear. :byebye

Guest TPAFKATS
No. You are the one pouring scorn on my food budget.
The onus is on you to "fess up" and show me your budget. I will then show you where you are overspending.

And some called you arrogant and pompous. [emoji33]

...and condescending.

46 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Wow, so you produce a figure of a weekly food bill for 5 people but, apart from going into your usual "anything but answer the question" you have no proof? :lol

Oh dear. :byebye

Seriously though, if you are going to sit down to something like chicken kievs, pies etc and put two of them on your plate thinking this is a normal portion size then of course you'll spend more than £80 a week on food.

If you think eating 3 full meals every day is normal then yes I accept you will be struggling.

If you want to then include chocolate, sweets, kebabs and other takeaways in your weekly budget then of course you'll spend more than £80 a week.

If you do all of the above the tiny wee clue that you are overeating and therefore overspending is the massive gut blocking the view of your cock.

If this is how you want to live then fair enough. Just don't come to me talking about starvation like that woman on the video on the BBC crying about skipping her lunch so she can feed her kids. The camera pans out and she is the size of a double decker bus. This is the need for serious education I am talking about.

In the meantime, remember that a good loaf of bread is about £1, you can get a pile of tomatoes for 70p, an entire cucumber for 60p, an entire iceberg lettuce for about 60p too. Mayonnaise or sald cream comes in at under £1 and ham is about £1.50 for a large pack. Add 2 six pinters of milk and a huge box of cornflakes and you have breakfast and lunch for the entire week for under £12. A bag of potatoes, pasta or rice will set you back another £2 for the week and you can pick up a couple of bags of frozen vegetables for £2 total. We are still under £20.

That's most of your needs sorted right there. You just need a wee bit of meat to go with the pasta and veg and you are sorted for the week. What meat you choose will determine how much of the remaining £80 you gobble up.

Portion size and financial budgetting. That is the educational needs right there and from the vast array of overweight piggies roaming around the shopping centres I'd say both are desparately needed before our NHS collapses under the strain of treating them.

What I got wrong here was forgetting that the average Scottish person is eating their own body weight in food every week and wonders why they are fat.

That's why my £80 budget looks tight to you guys. My mistake. I know better now.

Edited by oaksoft

15 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

...and condescending.

The truth is ugly.

Always.

Eat less, weigh less, spend less and then the "need" for so many foodbanks vanishes.

Our NHS may start to recover from not having to treat all the subsequent obesity-related diseases too.

How I speak to you changes none of this. Look beyond the words and start thinking for yourself.

Stop fluffing people.

BTW you see why I can't be a teacher? Could you take the truth in such a brunt manner or do you need hugged through the hard times?

Edited by oaksoft

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Seriously though, if you are going to sit down to something like chicken kievs, pies etc and put two of them on your plate thinking this is a normal portion size then of course you'll spend more than £80 a week on food.

If you think eating 3 full meals every day is normal then yes I accept you will be struggling.

If you want to then include chocolate, sweets, kebabs and other takeaways in your weekly budget then of course you'll spend more than £80 a week.

If you do all of the above the tiny wee clue that you are overeating and therefore overspending is the massive gut blocking the view of your cock.

If this is how you want to live then fair enough. Just don't come to me talking about starvation like that woman on the video on the BBC crying about skipping her lunch so she can feed her kids. The camera pans out and she is the size of a double decker bus. This is the need for serious education I am talking about.

In the meantime, remember that a good loaf of bread is about £1, you can get a pile of tomatoes for 70p, an entire cucumber for 60p, an entire iceberg lettuce for about 60p too. Mayonnaise or sald cream comes in at under £1 and ham is about £1.50 for a large pack. Add 2 six pinters of milk and a huge box of cornflakes and you have breakfast and lunch for the entire week for under £12. A bag of potatoes, pasta or rice will set you back another £2 for the week and you can pick up a couple of bags of frozen vegetables for £2 total. We are still under £20.

That's most of your needs sorted right there. You just need a wee bit of meat to go with the pasta and veg and you are sorted for the week. What meat you choose will determine how much of the remaining £80 you gobble up.

Portion size and financial budgetting. That is the educational needs right there and from the vast array of overweight piggies roaming around the shopping centres I'd say both are desparately needed before our NHS collapses under the strain of treating them.

More "whatabouterry" and deflection.

Here, somebody who's actually done what they can to reduce food bills and the 3 children are all 6 and under.

This was over a year ago.............food prices have gone up since then.

With the demands of running a family of five, finding ways to save money on food was not high on Rachel Mostyn’s to-do list.

Between feeding three hungry little mouths, the school run, household chores and her freelance work, Rachel had enough on her plate.

From an average weekly food and drink spend of £200, which included some eating out, Rachel managed to cut spending by £100 while still eating a healthy balanced diet and plenty of fruit and veg. 

It was a family effort, with the kids – Amelia, six, Leila, five and Joseph, three – all getting stuck in to bake homemade treats that would normally have been bought.

Full story, although I doubt you could  stomach the fact you talk shite.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/eat4cheap/Pages/family-of-five-cut-food-bill-by-half.aspx

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

More "whatabouterry" and deflection.

Here, somebody who's actually done what they can to reduce food bills and the 3 children are all 6 and under.

This was over a year ago.............food prices have gone up since then.

With the demands of running a family of five, finding ways to save money on food was not high on Rachel Mostyn’s to-do list.

Between feeding three hungry little mouths, the school run, household chores and her freelance work, Rachel had enough on her plate.

From an average weekly food and drink spend of £200, which included some eating out, Rachel managed to cut spending by £100 while still eating a healthy balanced diet and plenty of fruit and veg. 

It was a family effort, with the kids – Amelia, six, Leila, five and Joseph, three – all getting stuck in to bake homemade treats that would normally have been bought.

Full story, although I doubt you could  stomach the fact you talk shite.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/eat4cheap/Pages/family-of-five-cut-food-bill-by-half.aspx

Portion size. That is her next target.

She has done well so far but portion size education will help her get the rest of the way.

Actually, cutting out making "treats at home" will help her as well. She's eating 3 meals a day FFS. What are the treats for?

Edited by oaksoft

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

^^^^^^^ Stunning. :byebye

#noidea

She is making pizzas FFS. That won't be cheap even if made at home. There are much cheaper alternatives than that.

I have controlled the food budget in my house for a family of 5  for 20 years.

I know what I am talking about.

BTW, do you even know what "whataboutery" means?

Edited by oaksoft

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

She is making pizzas FFS. That won't be cheap even if made at home. There are much cheaper alternatives than that.

I have controlled the food budget in my house for a family of 5  for 20 years.

I know what I am talking about.

No, you fecking don't. :lol

I'm out, you've lost this debate and have resorted to making stuff up just because you don't agree.

Have a nice day. :byebye