Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
shull

The Great Politics Thread

Recommended Posts


The article says what's wrong with one of their finances. Karen and Ben clearly aren't living with all their children because they are paying out a quarter of their income in loan repayments and child maintenance. They are so poverty ridden they've got a car that needs maintaining. 
I don't have much sympathy with them. Where I do have sympathy with is changing circumstances. Help needs to kick in far more quickly, even for those who don't qualify for benefits. 

A fair amount of conclusions jumped to there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Conspiracy theory ? I really dont mind you taking the piss out of me over UFO's I know what i have seen with my own eyes. As i wrote further back close your curtains turn up the heating this time enjoy you spaghetti meatballs smothered in tomato sauce with a glass of red wine. Dont worry outside outside is a land of milk and honey.  :rolleyes:

I can only go with your post. You provided "evidence" with no analysis whatsoever. That couple? We have no idea why they are in financial trouble. We dont even know if they really are in trouble. If you are going to show me evidence like that and demand I read it you can expect to have it dissected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bellside Bud said:

The article says what's wrong with one of their finances. Karen and Ben clearly aren't living with all their children because they are paying out a quarter of their income in loan repayments and child maintenance. They are so poverty ridden they've got a car that needs maintaining. 

I don't have much sympathy with them. Where I do have sympathy with is changing circumstances. Help needs to kick in far more quickly, even for those who don't qualify for benefits. 

Yes I would agree with that last paragraph. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

the problem is, as i suspect you well know but just like an argument, that many of us have either been in this situation or know someone in the same boat.  We don't consider statistics, only the evidence of our eyes and ears which is difficult to quantify in the argument you have tried to forge.  The real question is, is it right that working families have to subsist on this level pretty much forever?

I have several work colleagues and other people close to me who have what are considered good jobs, but because of the difficulty of getting started on a mortgage are fuly extended on that front.  in previous decades, you could do that, reasonably safe in the knowledge that the mortgage would become a shrinking proportion of your outgoings and that the cycles of inflation, interest rates, fuel and energy prices, etc would be the swings and roundabouts of many preceding years.  That just doesnt happen any more.  For those starting out, you have a an existence rather than a life to lead.  And for a large number, it doesn't just get any better, unless some spectacular life event occurs that raises you up.  People have been brought up to believe that if you work hard, behave well and don't give in then it all gets better.  the proportion of the population that can enjoy that is diminishing.  The cream is all being hoovered up and Thatcher's (and others) desired underclass-those who exist only to consume and survive in order to benefit the more privileged- is coming to fruition.

You can budget your way along, but life becomes a grind.  Some respite is needed.  If you work, then you deserve the odd spoonful of cream but the sharp elbowed middle and upper classes are having none of that.  Every advantage in life seems to be sliding inexorably toward their demographic.

To narrowly focus solely on the cost of food in the context of food bank use is just an argumentative trick that, frankly, shows you and bellside up for what you are, attention seekers who feel smug when they push other peoples buttons and who trot out information that suits their agenda, even though they know that it paints only a prt of the picture.

There now, you have been indulged.  Respond if you want, I won't be reading anymore argumentative pish from either of you.

Oh I am well aware that those insulting me on here are probably using foodbanks or struggling themselves.

At least you have had the decency to state why you are chucking out abuse.

Quite what you or anyone else who has overextended themselves with mortgages and loans thinks they are achieving by chucking personal abuse around on a football forum is anyones guess but you pile in chief.

On the positive side, I have shown you and anyone else who cant budget for themselves, how to feed a family of four or five for around £60 to £80 a week rather than the ridiculous £100 for a family of 3 which most of you seem to think is "cutting things fine". Take the advice, leave the advice, argue the toss over 38p, split hairs over whether it is better to call it 13% or whatever. Personally I could not care less. Like you, I have had my brushes with overdrafts and a lack of money. Unlike you I didnt whine about it, didnt blame anyone else, sorted it and worked out how to improve my life. I may have a bad run in my new business and end up struggling again or I may be fine forever. Either way I will approach any difficulty in the sme way as I have always done. Taking personal responsibility for my actions at all times.  If you or anyone else on here chooses another route through life then good luck to you. I hope it brings you contentment.

Edited by oaksoft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Oh I am well aware that those insulting me on here are probably using foodbanks or struggling themselves.

At least you have had the decency to state why you are chucking out abuse.

Quite what you or anyone else who has overextended themselves with mortgages and loans thinks they are achieving by chucking personal abuse around on a football forum is anyones guess but you pile in chief.

On the positive side, I have shown you and anyone else who cant budget for themselves, how to feed a family of four or five for around £60 to £80 a week rather than the ridiculous £100 for a family of 3 which most of you seem to think is "cutting things fine". Take the advice, leave the advice, argue the toss over 38p, split hairs over whether it is better to call it 13% or whatever. Personally I could not care less. Like you, I have had my brushes with overdrafts and a lack of money. Unlike you I didnt whine about it, didnt blame anyone else, sorted it and worked out how to improve my life. I may have a bad run in my new business and end up struggling again or I may be fine forever. Either way I will approach any difficulty in the sme way as I have always done. Taking personal responsibility for my actions at all times.  If you or anyone else on here chooses another route through life then good luck to you. I hope it brings you contentment.

Who is giving you abuse certainty not beyond  our ken. I can now see your problem , you dont understand what is written going by what i quoted above. Im another finished with this thread its not only horses and donkeys that wear blinkers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Who is giving you abuse certainty not beyond  our ken. I can now see your problem , you dont understand what is written going by what i quoted above. Im another finished with this thread its not only horses and donkeys that wear blinkers. 


I'm sure someone's called oaky a donkey before now. Or maybe an ass?

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oh I am well aware that those insulting me on here are probably using foodbanks or struggling themselves.


And you've reached that conclusion because everyone "insulting" you has internet access? For a scientist you don't half leap to unsubstantiated conclusions. Or do simple arithmetic very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

 


And you've reached that conclusion because everyone "insulting" you has internet access? For a scientist you don't half leap to unsubstantiated conclusions. Or do simple arithmetic very well.

 

There is a saying clever people , well those who think they are lack common scene :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

There is a saying clever people , well those who think they are lack common scene :)

Depends on where you live, what you would call a "common scene". :)

 

Or maybe I've just been whooshed?

Edited by Slartibartfast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

the problem is, as i suspect you well know but just like an argument, that many of us have either been in this situation or know someone in the same boat.  We don't consider statistics, only the evidence of our eyes and ears which is difficult to quantify in the argument you have tried to forge.  The real question is, is it right that working families have to subsist on this level pretty much forever?

I have several work colleagues and other people close to me who have what are considered good jobs, but because of the difficulty of getting started on a mortgage are fuly extended on that front.  in previous decades, you could do that, reasonably safe in the knowledge that the mortgage would become a shrinking proportion of your outgoings and that the cycles of inflation, interest rates, fuel and energy prices, etc would be the swings and roundabouts of many preceding years.  That just doesnt happen any more.  For those starting out, you have a an existence rather than a life to lead.  And for a large number, it just doesn't get any better, unless some spectacular life event occurs that raises you up.  People have been brought up to believe that if you work hard, behave well and don't give in then it all gets better.  the proportion of the population that can enjoy that is diminishing.  The cream is all being hoovered up and Thatcher's (and others) desired underclass-those who exist only to consume and survive in order to benefit the more privileged- is coming to fruition.

You can budget your way along, but life becomes a grind.  Some respite is needed.  If you work, then you deserve the odd spoonful of cream but the sharp elbowed middle and upper classes are having none of that.  Every advantage in life seems to be sliding inexorably toward their demographic.

To narrowly focus solely on the cost of food in the context of food bank use is just an argumentative trick that, frankly, shows you and bellside up for what you are, attention seekers who feel smug when they push other peoples buttons and who trot out information that suits their agenda, even though they know that it paints only a part of the picture.

There now, you have been indulged.  Respond if you want, I won't be reading anymore argumentative pish from either of you.

The only reason anyone focused on food banks was because Isle of Bute Saint made an absurd claim that millions of people in the UK were using food banks. The debate developed from there. This thread was initially about Kezia Dugdale and as I've said before, quite how she is supposed to be responsible for food banks or for so called poverty is beyond me. She's been nowhere near a government office post at any point in her life. 

As for the rest I can't recognise the world you are living in. You're desperately trying to pigeon hole people into a rank of society that doesn't exist. You claim the middle class and working class are using sharp elbows to keep working families down. Well in my world it looks like they are doing a really poor job of it. I see huge numbers of kids of working families leaving school to go to university, graduating and using their degrees to get into a middle class world that simply wasn't open to us when we were kids. I see working families buying their kids their first cars - my next door neighbour is a stonemason making gravestones for a living - they bought their 18 year old daughter a brand new Volvo V40 to congratulate her on passing her driving test! And anyone who has been on holiday recently will, I'm sure, be able to testify to seeing at least a number of your fabled "underclasses" going through the departure gates to some foreign climes, no doubt taking a much deserved holiday from the rest of the lives where they've never worked a day in the lives. 

We're closer to full employment today than at any point since the second world war. We've got more universities than ever before, more graduates, more home owners, more millionaires and more billionaires than ever before. And if you believe many of the reality TV shows on the subject it seems to be the upper class with their large leaking country mansions and huge death taxes that are creaking at the seams, whilst self made plumbers join the UK rich list. 

I don't think any of this is argumentative at all. I just can't see your grim view of a world in which you live in one of the richest economies in the world. Anyone thinking life in the UK is tough needs a wake up call. Compared to the majority of the world we have a fantastic life with incredible opportunities. 

Edited by Bellside Bud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Who is giving you abuse certainty not beyond  our ken. I can now see your problem , you dont understand what is written going by what i quoted above. Im another finished with this thread its not only horses and donkeys that wear blinkers. 

He knows he is not being abused , Iain.  the same goes for the other one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am pleasantly surprised you are capable of judging either of those characteristics in another human being. 
 


Really? Have you ever read your own posts back to yourself? Out loud?

"Judge not, that you be not judged" as someone quite famous is supposed to have said.

I try to live my life by it, maybe you should too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Really? Have you ever read your own posts back to yourself? Out loud?

 

"Judge not, that you be not judged" as someone quite famous is supposed to have said.

 

I try to live my life by it, maybe you should too.

 

I try to live mine by "Better to say nothing and have folk think you're a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt".

 

I did say I try, not that I succeed.

 

There are a few on here that should possibly also follow it, see if you can guess who they are.

 

*****

******* *****

******** ***

*****

*** ***

**lmonbuddie (sorry, ran out of asterisks )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shull said:

Question Time returns tonight on BBC1 at 10.45.

One of the guests is Will Self Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yes indeed  ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

 

Trouble with QT is the fact they go Local but the stupid audience ask backbenchers and poets about World Issues, where their opinions are irrelevant ....

So our first question no doubt will be either on another Brexit vote because some Politian's lied, or should we just Nuke N Korea as they cant have weapons of mass destruction like we can.................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

 


Really? Have you ever read your own posts back to yourself? Out loud?

"Judge not, that you be not judged" as someone quite famous is supposed to have said.

I try to live my life by it, maybe you should too.

 

Oh FFS :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

 

I try to live mine by "Better to say nothing and have folk think you're a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt".

 

I did say I try, not that I succeed.

 

There are a few on here that should possibly also follow it, see if you can guess who they are.

 

*****

******* *****

******** ***

*****

*** ***

**lmonbuddie (sorry, ran out of asterisks emoji4.png )

 

I prefer my mothers old saying not to get involved in other people's "fights".

They might just be taking the piss out of each other leaving you looking a self righteous po-faced twat.

If fishy learns that lesson then this thread will not have been in vain :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seriously, what are you doing?
That exchange was between me and IOBS.
Why are you getting involved? 


Was it? You seem to have the attention span of a two year old, read it back again. All of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×