The Politics Thread

shull

Kezia Dugdale: Best thing is to pass Labour baton on

Kezia Dugdale has resigned as leader of Scottish Labour, saying it is time to "pass on the baton" to someone else.

In an exclusive interview with BBC Scotland's political editor, Brian Taylor, Ms Dugdale said she wanted to give her successor the "space and time" to prepare for the next Scottish Parliament election in 2021.

She strongly denied suggestions that she was leaving now in order to avoid being pushed out by supporters of Mr Corbyn.

A shite party needed a shite leader for a period of time. The Dug was the perfect patsy. No point in someone credible tarnishing their reputation and career at a time when the party was at it's absolute lowest ebb. 

Recent election results suggest the party is regaining some of its popularity so time for a proper leader I guess. 

5 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

A shite party needed a shite leader for a period of time. The Dug was the perfect patsy. No point in someone credible tarnishing their reputation and career at a time when the party was at it's absolute lowest ebb. 

Recent election results suggest the party is regaining some of its popularity so time for a proper leader I guess. 

Question is, who, in Labour ranks, would be credible and a proper leader? The fcuktards in Labour these days are so lacking in obvious leadership quality that they could make Jack McConnell look like a cross between JFK, Nelson Mandela, Gandhi and the second coming of Christ*

*That's Christ fae' the Bible, not Sir Thommo of Beard and Handsomeness.

Edited by pozbaird

9 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Question is, who, in Labour ranks, would be credible and a proper leader? The fcuktards in Labour these days are so lacking in obvious leadership quality that they could make Jack McConnell look like a cross between JFK, Nelson Mandela, Gandhi and the second coming of Christ*

Labour has changed whether I , you or anyone else likes it or not. It is now a party more to the left than it's been for years rather than the over polished Blairish can't tell the difference between the Tory party. This is a bad time in our history where millions through out the UK are using food banks. Where young  ones are exploited zero working hours older people also. Where board room level salary in many cases is obscene.  Where council cash is cut to the bone so we suffer 3 weeks before garbage is picked up. Let's see the rat population in a couple of years. Parks now looking grubby. The list goes on and on most of it due to our debt for saving Banks who's management at board level were paid out millions for bringing the country to it's knees. Will be interesting to see who gets the job as it will take a lot to stop me voting SNP.

9 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Gordon Brown, apparently he has just built a bridge so he should be free.

12 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

She was very critical of the Labour leader and now her lover is an SNP mp  in the Scottish parliament. Not good for her. 

So she's 'in bed' with the SNP now and feels it's time to pass he baton ?  Mmmmm maaatron !!!  :lol:

Guest TPAFKATS

It's not a baton, more of a shitty stick.

Should be an interesting contest for those who aren't members of Labour.

Anas Sarwar, Neil Findlay?

I hear James Kelly is standing, but that might be due to his refusal to sit down...

17 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

It's not a baton, more of a shitty stick.

Should be an interesting contest for those who aren't members of Labour.

Anas Sarwar, Neil Findlay?

I hear James Kelly is standing, but that might be due to his erectile dysfunction...

will be the wee red  ned kelly, I wonder if Corbyn is "celtic minded"

Edited by beyond our ken

17 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

No loss.

Never a leader.

On the contrary. Long term she'll be a loss.... to the SNP. Weak, insipid and about as charismatic as dry paint. In fact she was  a walking promethazine pill. On the plus side, I don't see anyone who will be any more captivating waiting in the wings so, all's good in the independence camp.

24 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

On the contrary. Long term she'll be a loss.... to the SNP. Weak, insipid and about as charismatic as dry paint.

I'd agree with this.

At a time when Scotland has thrown up two remarkably adept women politicians, her remarkable ordinariness stood out.

Just now, antrin said:

I'd agree with this.

At a time when Scotland has thrown up two remarkably adept women politicians, her remarkable ordinariness stood out.

Two? The first minister and,......Who was the other one? Surely not wee lying ruth? That's "lying" as in telling porkies and, "lying" as in lying down to the UK  tories as they end up in bed with a party who despise, and would demand the open  demonization of, her personal preferences.

Why are you splitting hairs between being "an adept politician" and lying?  

What's wrong with you?

Are you not cynical?

(fwiw I have similar feelings of betrayal of Scotland/lying down wrt the SNP and the imposition of Tory governments on the Scottish AND British electorate.)

Edited by antrin

Guest TPAFKATS
Why are you splitting hairs between being "an adept politician" and lying?  

What's wrong with you?
Are you not cynical?
(fwiw I have similar feelings of betrayal of Scotland/lying down wrt the SNP and the imposition of Tory governments on the Scottish AND British electorate.)

You should read Jim Callaghan's auto biography [emoji6]

Suffering for her anti-Corbyn stance prior to the GE but hey that's politix - your enemies are within  your own party, always, the other parties are just the opposition.

This was all compounded by the Unionist non-aggression pact which benefitted the Tories most, like I said at the time I'm sure Ms Dugdale didn't enter politics to see a Conservative/DUP alliance run the country but that's what her Ruth Davidson tribute act delivered.

Looking forward it's hard to see any of the prospects making SLab credible. 

On 30/08/2017 at 8:38 AM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Labour has changed whether I , you or anyone else likes it or not. It is now a party more to the left than it's been for years rather than the over polished Blairish can't tell the difference between the Tory party. This is a bad time in our history where millions through out the UK are using food banks. Where young  ones are exploited zero working hours older people also. Where board room level salary in many cases is obscene.  Where council cash is cut to the bone so we suffer 3 weeks before garbage is picked up. Let's see the rat population in a couple of years. Parks now looking grubby. The list goes on and on most of it due to our debt for saving Banks who's management at board level were paid out millions for bringing the country to it's knees. Will be interesting to see who gets the job as it will take a lot to stop me voting SNP.

You are describing a country I dont recognise.

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You are describing a country I dont recognise.

I like you so I'm not going to play ping pong. My last sentence.  You must live in a different country from me Oaksoft we have been here before so I know your view which is the opposite of mine.  

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I like you so I'm not going to play ping pong. My last sentence.  You must live in a different country from me Oaksoft we have been here before so I know your view which is the opposite of mine.  

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having diametrically opposed views.

Dont let anyone tell you anything different.

I dont recognise your description of Scotland.

We certainly dont have millions of people NEEDING to use foodbanks.

WANTING yes. NEEDING? Away and behave.

If your bins are not being emptied drive to the dump and do it yourself.

If you dont like zero hour contracts then dont take those jobs.

Stop bloody whining.

There are people out there with real problems.

Edited by oaksoft