The Politics Thread

shull

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I would doubt your £70 covers everything for the week.

3 meals a day for 5 people, not including snacks etc, add in items that are required every day or two (milk, bread etc) and I think you would be struggling.

Well unless there's a food fairy putting food in the freezer it covers everything we get from a supermarket including shower gels, shampoo, conditioner and bog roll. 

I don't think we do badly either. There's a beef stew in the slow cooker for tonight and there's a home made soup that just needs heating when we get in and an apple crumble for dessert. A roast chicken dinner for tomorrow will cost less than £1 a head. There's also a slimming world recipe for salt and chilli chicken somewhere that I can make well for less than 50p a portion. I'm still learning but it's pretty obvious that whether your on a budget or not a food shopping doesn't need to cost anything like £100 per week

1 minute ago, Bellside Bud said:

Well unless there's a food fairy putting food in the freezer it covers everything we get from a supermarket including shower gels, shampoo, conditioner and bog roll. 

I don't think we do badly either. There's a beef stew in the slow cooker for tonight and there's a home made soup that just needs heating when we get in and an apple crumble for dessert. A roast chicken dinner for tomorrow will cost less than £1 a head. There's also a slimming world recipe for salt and chilli chicken somewhere that I can make well for less than 50p a portion. I'm still learning but it's pretty obvious that whether your on a budget or not a food shopping doesn't need to cost anything like £100 per week

Good for you.........................Image result for skinny man

32 minutes ago, Bellside Bud said:

Yeah this is my experience too.

I can only assume portion size is the issue for some of these guys.

No wonder apparently almost two thirds (around 62% or so) of the population is waddling to work due to being overweight.

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Health/TrendObesity

By any definition this is a health crisis and you can bet that those on lower earnings are taking up the large majority of that 62%.

Those figures were for 2015 though so I expect the real numbers to be much higher than that.

You can play this game yourself.

Stand at any shopping centre and count the number of people walking past you who are overweight.

Last time I did it at Ikea at Braehead I was routinely counting more than 8 in every 10.

No wonder our NHS is crippled.

Edited by oaksoft

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Yeah this is my experience too.

I can only assume portion size is the issue for some of these guys.

No wonder apparently almost two thirds (around 62% or so) of the population is waddling to work due to being overweight.

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Health/TrendObesity

By any definition this is a health crisis and you can bet that those on lower earnings are taking up the large majority of that 62%.

Those figures were for 2015 though so I expect the real numbers to be much higher than that.

You can play this game yourself.

Stand at any shopping centre and count the number of people walking past you who are overweight.

Last time I did it at Ikea at Braehead I was routinely counting more than 8 in every 10.

No wonder our NHS is crippled.

You can only assume that portion control is an issue for some of these guys.?  It takes no great intelligence to know that portion size is a very big factor in the obesity epidemic. Allied to the fact that a large proprtion of the population has sedentary jobs. Physical labour is rare nowadays.

I lived through post World War Two rationing when most people's work involved a lot of physical activity and food was in relatively short supply.  I knew very few fat people.

Edited by smcc

37 minutes ago, smcc said:

You can only assume that portion control is an issue for some of these guys.?  It takes no great intelligence to know that portion size is a very big factor in the obesity epidemic. Allied to the fact that a large proprtion of the population has sedentary jobs. Physical labour is rare nowadays.

I lived through post World War Two rationing when most people's work involved a lot of physical activity and food was in relatively short supply.  I knew very few fat people.

I'm not going to disagree with you on that.

Anyway, I think it's pretty clear what the root of a lot of this foodbank usage is all about and why people keep running out of money.

If you have a solution to either the problem of foodbanks or obesity then I'm sure you'll find those in power willing to hear you out.

I have no idea how you do it without sanctioning people and I wouldn't support that approach anyway.

I take my hat off to anyone willing to get involved in genuinely helping these people. I couldn't stomach working amongst people whose wounds are visibly self-inflicted. It would suck the life right out of me.

Edited by oaksoft

15 minutes ago, smcc said:

Agreed on all counts. So can we now agree that in the UK today we are all wealthier, we all have more food, more choice and a far better standard of living than we've ever had before in this country. The reason there is an obesity epidemic is because people, and I'll include myself although I'm trying to fix it, were not smart enough to figure out that although we could eat anything we want and as much as we want, we actually shouldn't.

I don't think we need a government that takes more of our earnings off us to burn through the Welfare State when it can't guarantee that all the money in there are the moment is only going to those in genuine need. We need to demand better efficiency from our public services and better value for our money, and if there is a section of our society that is harmed through tighter policing then it's good that as a caring society we should all be looking after those amongst us through food banks and the like. 

And for god sake we need to stop classing people as being in poverty because they can't afford the latest smart phone or flat screen TV. That's just crazy talk. 

6 hours ago, faraway saint said:

No, you fecking don't. :lol

I'm out, you've lost this debate and have resorted to making stuff up just because you don't agree.

Have a nice day. :byebye

No loss. You have dipped into this thread, contributed the square root of nothing to the discussion and stormed out in a hissy fit.

Mind you, you have contributed more than salmonbuddie and TFPAK thingy.....but then that is hardly an achievement. That would be like celebrating walking from the bedroom to the kitchen without breaking your leg.

Guest TPAFKATS

The Armpit & The Dick have solved poverty & obesity in the space of 1 page of this thread - at least in their own mind(s).

These guys are wasted on a football forum...really they are.

Mind you, you have contributed more than salmonbuddie and TFPAK thingy.....but then that is hardly an achievement. That would be like celebrating walking from the bedroom to the kitchen without breaking your leg.

Still hurting, I see.

Thought about opening a thread in the Other Football Forum but it's the political aspect I was more interested in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-41201279

Tony Blair became "obsessed" with creating a British football league as a way of bringing the UK together, the former prime minister has revealed.

Mr Blair said he believed merging the Scottish and English leagues would strengthen the bonds between the two nations after devolution.

But he said a British national football team would have been a "step too far".

Mr Blair was speaking to BBC Scotland to mark the 20th anniversary of the devolution referendum.

The referendum was held just four months after he led Labour to a landslide victory in the 1997 general election.

Looking back at the referendum - which led to the creation of the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh two years later - and its aftermath, Mr Blair said he believed in retrospect that he could have "looked for more ways to keep Scotland and England culturally aligned".

He told BBC Scotland's political editor Brian Taylor: "I know it sounds a bit strange but I was for a time quite obsessed with the idea that, for example, for football we should be opening up the English league and the Scottish league and having them together.

"I always thought we should be looking at ways of making sure that people felt a connection."

It has often been suggested that Rangers and Celtic in particular could join the far wealthier English league but the idea has never come to fruition - partly because of the lack of widespread support for the move from English teams.

Mr Blair, a Newcastle United fan, said he could still see a "certain logic" in the concept of a combined British league.

But he acknowledged that any proposals for a British team to replace the Scottish, English, Welsh and Northern Irish international teams would be a "step far too far".

He added: "I was looking for ways of making sure that as we in a sense diverged around devolution, that there were elements of convergence and I still think in the future it is important we look for that."

Analysis by Brian Taylor, BBC Scotland political editor

Tony Blair's government may have implemented devolution but he says he was always conscious of the risk that it might push Scotland and England apart culturally.

His plan for a united football league never got beyond a prime ministerial obsession 20 years ago - and has never become reality. Mr Blair says that he still favours the football league merger, and would be keen to seek other ties that bind Scotland and England together.

Despite those qualms, he stresses that he firmly backed devolved self-government two decades ago and remains a strong supporter today.

Some felt at the time the devolution referendum was a "betrayal" of Labour's promise to create a Scottish Parliament or an attempt to dilute or even dump devolution.

Mr Blair says such views were "slightly odd", given that his aim was to give the Scottish people a direct choice.

He was "absolutely convinced" that devolution would have been blocked at Westminster by the House of Lords without the evident popular mandate delivered in the referendum.

The former PM says he studied more than 100 years of history, looking at previous efforts to transfer power to Scotland. Each had foundered upon the rock of entrenched opposition at Westminster, notably in the Upper House.

The referendum on 11 September 1997 saw proposals to establish a new parliament in Edinburgh backed by 74% to 26%, while a second question on whether it should have tax varying powers saw a 63% to 37% vote in favour.

The referendum had been a key pledge of Mr Blair's ahead of the general election, but caused huge controversy at the time - not least within the Labour Party itself.

Some felt at the time it was a "betrayal" of Labour's promise to create a Scottish Parliament or an attempt to dilute or even dump devolution.

'Defanged the opposition'

But Mr Blair insisted that he had been - and remained - a strong supporter of devolution, and that the referendum was needed to prevent any attempt to block it by opponents.

He explained: "I think we defanged the opposition in the House of Lords particularly by saying there has been a referendum and the will of the Scottish people is there so you can't and shouldn't interfere with that.

"I think the tactics of this were very, very clear - unless you laid the groundwork, the clear statement of support from the Scottish people, it was going to be much, much more difficult to do."

The first decade of the Scottish Parliament saw Labour form the administration alongside its Liberal Democrat coalition partners.

But that status quo was blown away in 2007 with the surprise victory of the SNP - with the party holding power at Holyrood ever since.

Mr Blair said he could understand the reasons for the rise of Scottish nationalism, but argued that there was a "divisive aspect" to it.

He said: "So for me devolution was about a sensible set of reforms to government, but I wanted to make sure all the way through that we kept that sense of unity culturally and politically at the right level for the UK.

"My view all the way through was that of course you were never going to end up with one party permanently in power in the Scottish Parliament - that would be strange and unusual."

Mr Blair has been a vocal critic of current Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, and has urged the party to return to the centre ground of British politics.

He acknowledged that Mr Corbyn's leadership was "settled for the moment" after the party exceeded expectations in the general election and increased its number of Scottish MPs from one to seven.

But with the party preparing to choose a new Scottish leader following the resignation of Kezia Dugdale, he said he believed Labour was at its best when it was standing on a "distinctive and clear" platform of "a strong belief in social justice, a modern way of achieving it and strong defence of the Union."

Dinner tonight from Aldi.

500g pasta 45p.

Jar of pasta sauce 80p I think.

24 x 100% beef meatballs £3.

Bag of frozen mixed veg £1.

Bottle of apple and raspberry fizzy juice £1.

Entire family of four fed and watered to bursting point for around £6.

Tomorrow will be similar but we have one venison steak each. Total meal was £7.

The following night will be four portions of hunters chicken and potatoes instead of pasta. Total cost of meal £6.

And this is us being loose with the purse strings.

To all those who criticise me for being an "alright Jack" type, enjoy your free advice on how to eat healthily and within budget.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

500g pasta 45p.

The following night will be four portions of hunters chicken and potatoes instead of pasta. Total cost of meal £6.

To all those who criticise me for being an "alright Jack" type, enjoy your free advice on how to eat healthily and within budget.

Some dont have £42 a week when the bills come in that is the bit you fail to understand. To think food banks just popping up all over the country for no reason is wrong on your part which i find alarming but should not be surprised when some of the population have tunnel vision. Get out there and find out the hard truth by talking to someone giving up there free time for nothing to help the unfortunate. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

500g pasta 45p.

So you only feed your family once a day [emoji513]

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

500g pasta 45p.

24..................£3

Maybe you should get a better calculator...............or stop making stuff up.

Out of interest, I tried to find your pasta, nothing remotely close to 50p,

Scottish-Beef-Meatballs.jpg?o=Tc2D%24C6K {"id":"045543007509200","name":"scottish beef meatballs","list":"products text search | meatballs","position":1,"price":1.69,"brand":"nature's glen","dimension5":"unavailable"}
British-Beef-Meatballs-A.jpg?o=eYJoLn2yW
Edited by faraway saint

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

500g pasta 45p.

So

bread 

milk

tea bags

condiments & seasonings

cleaning materials 

bin bags

toilet roll

the odd biscuit

fruit

fresh veg

cereals

vitamin supplements

detergents

toiletries

the list goes on....  Food is only part of the weekly shop

And your'e already over 40 pounds a week for just one of the three meals per day.   If you feed you family on only cheap foods that are already partly or fully prepared then you can feed them, poorly, for the sums you quote.  And if they are constipated from this diet then I suppose that you will save on the toilet paper.

a so-called scientist who doesn't think things through

24 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

So

bread 

milk

tea bags

condiments & seasonings

cleaning materials 

bin bags

toilet roll

the odd biscuit

fruit

fresh veg

cereals

vitamin supplements

detergents

toiletries

And your'e already over 40 pounds a week for just one of the three meals per day.   If you feed you family on only cheap foods that are already partly or fully prepared then you can feed them, poorly, for the sums you quote.  And if they are constipated from this diet then I suppose that you will save on the toilet paper.

I pointed out similar earlier, as did Renfrew, he's not listening..............although neither are you,  repeating stuff. :1eye

Edited by faraway saint

4 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Some dont have £42 a week when the bills come in that is the bit you fail to understand. To think food banks just popping up all over the country for no reason is wrong on your part which i find alarming but should not be surprised when some of the population have tunnel vision. Get out there and find out the hard truth by talking to someone giving up there free time for nothing to help the unfortunate. 

Which bills are you prioritising over food?

Oh and I have no idea why you think a foodbank worker would have the faintest idea of how a user was budgeting for food.

Edited by oaksoft

3 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

So

bread 

milk

tea bags

condiments & seasonings

cleaning materials 

bin bags

toilet roll

the odd biscuit

fruit

fresh veg

cereals

vitamin supplements

detergents

toiletries

My earlier post dealt with breakfast and lunch for the week for about 20 pounds and in the post you are responding to I specifically told you I was at £62 or so in food alone because I was loosening the purse strings.

You see, this is why I dont generally help people. You are not reading my posts.

BTW condiments? seasoning? biscuits? vitamins? :lol:

And how on earth are you having to  buy tea,  cleaning materials, detergent and toiletries every week?

Are you mistaking them for food?

Edited by oaksoft

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I pointed out similar earlier, as did Renfrew, he's not listening..............although neither are you,  repeating stuff. :1eye

I am listening.

If you cant find 500g of pasta for about 45p then you should ask someone to point you to it.

Its hardly my fault you dont know your way around a shop.

Oh and two packets of 12 meatballs at £1.69 each is QUITE close to £3 for 24. WTF is wrong with you? 

15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I am listening.

If you cant find 500g of pasta for about 45p then you should ask someone to point you to it.

Its hardly my fault you dont know your way around a shop.

Oh and two packets of 12 meatballs at £1.69 each is QUITE close to £3 for 24. WTF is wrong with you? 

As usual, no proof, bluster and nothing else.

You really should stop trying to deflect from other peoples opinion and proof with nothing more than meaningless questions.

Oh aye, two packets at £1.69 is just over 10%, feck sending you for the shopping.  :lol:

33 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Perhaps you missed my earlier post where I dealt with breakfast and lunch for the entire week for about £20.

I  missed this, 5 people, breakfast and lunch, for a week?

You do know that equals 57p per person a day?

28p a person for each breakfast and lunch.......................and, like some sort of a prison, nothing, absolutely nothing, allowed apart from the 3 courses each day?

No wonder your family think your weird.

You're funny, in a clown type of way.  :hammer

So, you use Lidl as your example to prove your "point" which is fair enough, they are considerably cheaper than other main stores.

Exaggerating (telling fibs some might say) these prices really shows where you are in this debate.

What if you don't have a Lidl close to you or even in the same town?

Do you get your chauffeur to drive you across town or to the next town?

Also you dismissed the suggestion that people might eat a snack, no matter how healthy it could be, between meals?

In your previous job at Auschwitz didn't you notice this was having an effect on the guests?