The Politics Thread

shull

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Which bills are you prioritising over food?

Oh and I have no idea why you think a foodbank worker would have the faintest idea of how a user was budgeting for food.

Your ignorance on this subject is overwhelming very much a Thatcher style I'm all right Jack. There are over 800 people living on the streets of Glasgow. There are more than 260,000 children living in poverty in Scotland offical figures. You close the curtains turn up the heating and enjoy the roast chicken everything outside your house is a life of milk and honey with no problems in our society :huh:

17 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Your ignorance on this subject is overwhelming very much a Thatcher style I'm all right Jack. There are over 800 people living on the streets of Glasgow. There are more than 260,000 children living in poverty in Scotland offical figures. You close the curtains turn up the heating and enjoy the roast chicken everything outside your house is a life of milk and honey with no problems in our society :huh:

No milk or honey, he's on a budget. :lol:

Why is Oaksoft getting it tight? The claim was made that you couldn't feed a family of 3 for £100 per week. That's clearly nonsense. Now Oaksoft has produced figures for a meal to back up his claim he's been asked "what about bin bags" or "what about condiments". And Isle of Bute Saint has claimed now that families can't afford to buy £42.00 worth of food a week. That's nonsense especially when a parent gets £20.70 in child benefit for the first child and £13.70 for each additional child every week. 

I don't know what other families do for breakfast but in my house we fairly typically either have Bran Flakes, Porridge, or toast. None of which are expensive unless you buy ready made pots of porridge which is just ridiculous. And for lunch a baked potato and cheese would cost less than £0.30 per person. As for snacks - what the hell are you guys buying? A packet of chocolate biscuits costs around £1.00. A milti pack of crisps is around £1.00. Unhealthy snacks but even being kind it isn't going to cost more than £15.00 per week. Fruit is even cheaper - grapes are £1.50 for 500g currently at Asda, and 400g of plums are 69p. 

Now yesterday was my Mother In Laws birthday so we had a Chinese takeaway, but the day before my step daughter made dinner for seven- my son and his girlfriend were over too. A really nice chicken and ham pie in a white wine sauce. I've got the receipt for all the ingredients and it came  to £9.64. That included a single serve bottle of wine at £2.00 and 2 packs of ready rolled sheets of filo pastry at £1.80 each. 

Oaksofts meal wasn't ridiculous either. He could have saved money by ditching the pasta and using spaghetti instead - 20p for 500mg at Asda - and making his own meatballs and sauce instead of buying them ready made. Apart from the cost saving it would probably also be healthier as he could monitor the salt content. 

As I've said I'm happy food banks exist. It's a good thing that communities donate to help those who are struggling living amongst them. The UK has a strong record of doing this - in the past there were always plenty of soup kitchens for example that did a similar job. 

Edited by Bellside Bud

The UK has a strong record of doing this - in the past there were always plenty of soup kitchens for example that did a similar job. 

Aye, in the past. The whole argument is that no-one - no-one at all - should need them in a wealthy country in this day and age. But they do, so ask yourself why.

2 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

Aye, in the past. The whole argument is that no-one - no-one at all - should need them in a wealthy country in this day and age. But they do, so ask yourself why.

They may just need help with living. 

And we are the Country to help. 

We are good people, generally. 

1 hour ago, salmonbuddie said:

We've dealt with that many pages back. If there was no benefit fraud and the government could be trusted to distribute the large resources it already gets through taxation then there would be plenty of money available to stock every food bank many times over. 

Ive also shown statistics that show increase use of food banks is more down to the increased availability of food banks and not a decline in standards across the UK. 

We know that the UK draws the notional poverty line far higher than most countries in the word and many times higher than the international poverty standard and Oaksoft and I have shown its perfectly possible to live and eat on a food budget of less than £100 per week for a family of three. 

So long as there are generous community spirited people willing to donate to food banks people will continue to use them and rightly so. It's not a mark of a failing society its a mark of a caring society looking after its own

2 hours ago, Bellside Bud said:

Why is Oaksoft getting it tight? The claim was made that you couldn't feed a family of 3 for £100 per week.

I could have missed this, the early "claims" from Oaky was that he could feed a family of 5 on an average of £70 a week.

Since then he has provided nothing but bluster, scorn and a few exaggerated prices from Lidl.

Apologies if I've missed this family of 3.

17 hours ago, faraway saint said:

As usual, no proof, bluster and nothing else.

You really should stop trying to deflect from other peoples opinion and proof with nothing more than meaningless questions.

Oh aye, two packets at £1.69 is just over 10%, feck sending you for the shopping.  :lol:

I  missed this, 5 people, breakfast and lunch, for a week?

You do know that equals 57p per person a day?

28p a person for each breakfast and lunch.......................and, like some sort of a prison, nothing, absolutely nothing, allowed apart from the 3 courses each day?

No wonder your family think your weird.

You're funny, in a clown type of way.  :hammer

At least I have provided some figures.

Thats more than any of you numpties has managed. :lol:

7 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Deary me. :lol:

3 hours ago, Bellside Bud said:

Why is Oaksoft getting it tight? The claim was made that you couldn't feed a family of 3 for £100 per week. That's clearly nonsense. Now Oaksoft has produced figures for a meal to back up his claim he's been asked "what about bin bags" or "what about condiments". And Isle of Bute Saint has claimed now that families can't afford to buy £42.00 worth of food a week. That's nonsense especially when a parent gets £20.70 in child benefit for the first child and £13.70 for each additional child every week. 

I don't know what other families do for breakfast but in my house we fairly typically either have Bran Flakes, Porridge, or toast. None of which are expensive unless you buy ready made pots of porridge which is just ridiculous. And for lunch a baked potato and cheese would cost less than £0.30 per person. As for snacks - what the hell are you guys buying? A packet of chocolate biscuits costs around £1.00. A milti pack of crisps is around £1.00. Unhealthy snacks but even being kind it isn't going to cost more than £15.00 per week. Fruit is even cheaper - grapes are £1.50 for 500g currently at Asda, and 400g of plums are 69p. 

Now yesterday was my Mother In Laws birthday so we had a Chinese takeaway, but the day before my step daughter made dinner for seven- my son and his girlfriend were over too. A really nice chicken and ham pie in a white wine sauce. I've got the receipt for all the ingredients and it came  to £9.64. That included a single serve bottle of wine at £2.00 and 2 packs of ready rolled sheets of filo pastry at £1.80 each. 

Oaksofts meal wasn't ridiculous either. He could have saved money by ditching the pasta and using spaghetti instead - 20p for 500mg at Asda - and making his own meatballs and sauce instead of buying them ready made. Apart from the cost saving it would probably also be healthier as he could monitor the salt content. 

As I've said I'm happy food banks exist. It's a good thing that communities donate to help those who are struggling living amongst them. The UK has a strong record of doing this - in the past there were always plenty of soup kitchens for example that did a similar job. 

Excellent post. It would be nice if one of the others could produce a costed budget refuting our numbers.

We've dealt with that many pages back. If there was no benefit fraud

And if more time was spent on tax fraud by big business instead of chasing pocket money - and in a wealthy society like ours, the total against alleged benefit fraud is pocket money - how much better off would our society be?

The second of the main points of this debate, which you and oaky keep deflecting away from by going into detail about whether or not you can look after a family on an imagined budget, is that tax avoidance by big business, by business generally, costs us much, much, more.

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, figures that don't add up, that's the winning formula.

:lol:

Honestly I dont know why you dont just show us your own figures and put this debate to bed once and for all.

Thats generally what happens when adults debate.

So far all we have had from your side is personal insults and an apparent unwillingness to understand that when people grow up they leave home and the family shrinks accordingly.

2 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

If you were intelligent enough you would have seen I explained that with you writing in the present rather than the past tense.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=have+past+tense&oq=have+past&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.4423j0j4&client=ms-android-motorola&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8 emoji14.png

Another stunning contribution to the thread. :blink: