The Politics Thread

shull

5 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

the problem is, as i suspect you well know but just like an argument, that many of us have either been in this situation or know someone in the same boat.  We don't consider statistics, only the evidence of our eyes and ears which is difficult to quantify in the argument you have tried to forge.  The real question is, is it right that working families have to subsist on this level pretty much forever?

I have several work colleagues and other people close to me who have what are considered good jobs, but because of the difficulty of getting started on a mortgage are fuly extended on that front.  in previous decades, you could do that, reasonably safe in the knowledge that the mortgage would become a shrinking proportion of your outgoings and that the cycles of inflation, interest rates, fuel and energy prices, etc would be the swings and roundabouts of many preceding years.  That just doesnt happen any more.  For those starting out, you have a an existence rather than a life to lead.  And for a large number, it just doesn't get any better, unless some spectacular life event occurs that raises you up.  People have been brought up to believe that if you work hard, behave well and don't give in then it all gets better.  the proportion of the population that can enjoy that is diminishing.  The cream is all being hoovered up and Thatcher's (and others) desired underclass-those who exist only to consume and survive in order to benefit the more privileged- is coming to fruition.

You can budget your way along, but life becomes a grind.  Some respite is needed.  If you work, then you deserve the odd spoonful of cream but the sharp elbowed middle and upper classes are having none of that.  Every advantage in life seems to be sliding inexorably toward their demographic.

To narrowly focus solely on the cost of food in the context of food bank use is just an argumentative trick that, frankly, shows you and bellside up for what you are, attention seekers who feel smug when they push other peoples buttons and who trot out information that suits their agenda, even though they know that it paints only a part of the picture.

There now, you have been indulged.  Respond if you want, I won't be reading anymore argumentative pish from either of you.

The only reason anyone focused on food banks was because Isle of Bute Saint made an absurd claim that millions of people in the UK were using food banks. The debate developed from there. This thread was initially about Kezia Dugdale and as I've said before, quite how she is supposed to be responsible for food banks or for so called poverty is beyond me. She's been nowhere near a government office post at any point in her life. 

As for the rest I can't recognise the world you are living in. You're desperately trying to pigeon hole people into a rank of society that doesn't exist. You claim the middle class and working class are using sharp elbows to keep working families down. Well in my world it looks like they are doing a really poor job of it. I see huge numbers of kids of working families leaving school to go to university, graduating and using their degrees to get into a middle class world that simply wasn't open to us when we were kids. I see working families buying their kids their first cars - my next door neighbour is a stonemason making gravestones for a living - they bought their 18 year old daughter a brand new Volvo V40 to congratulate her on passing her driving test! And anyone who has been on holiday recently will, I'm sure, be able to testify to seeing at least a number of your fabled "underclasses" going through the departure gates to some foreign climes, no doubt taking a much deserved holiday from the rest of the lives where they've never worked a day in the lives. 

We're closer to full employment today than at any point since the second world war. We've got more universities than ever before, more graduates, more home owners, more millionaires and more billionaires than ever before. And if you believe many of the reality TV shows on the subject it seems to be the upper class with their large leaking country mansions and huge death taxes that are creaking at the seams, whilst self made plumbers join the UK rich list. 

I don't think any of this is argumentative at all. I just can't see your grim view of a world in which you live in one of the richest economies in the world. Anyone thinking life in the UK is tough needs a wake up call. Compared to the majority of the world we have a fantastic life with incredible opportunities. 

Edited by Bellside Bud

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Who is giving you abuse certainty not beyond  our ken. I can now see your problem , you dont understand what is written going by what i quoted above. Im another finished with this thread its not only horses and donkeys that wear blinkers. 

He knows he is not being abused , Iain.  the same goes for the other one.

I am pleasantly surprised you are capable of judging either of those characteristics in another human being. [emoji14]

Really? Have you ever read your own posts back to yourself? Out loud?

"Judge not, that you be not judged" as someone quite famous is supposed to have said.

I try to live my life by it, maybe you should too.

1 hour ago, shull said:

Question Time returns tonight on BBC1 at 10.45.

One of the guests is Will Self Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yes indeed  ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Trouble with QT is the fact they go Local but the stupid audience ask backbenchers and poets about World Issues, where their opinions are irrelevant ....

So our first question no doubt will be either on another Brexit vote because some Politian's lied, or should we just Nuke N Korea as they cant have weapons of mass destruction like we can.................

15 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I try to live mine by "Better to say nothing and have folk think you're a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt".

I did say I try, not that I succeed.

There are a few on here that should possibly also follow it, see if you can guess who they are.

**lmonbuddie (sorry, ran out of asterisks emoji4.png )

I prefer my mothers old saying not to get involved in other people's "fights".

They might just be taking the piss out of each other leaving you looking a self righteous po-faced twat.

If fishy learns that lesson then this thread will not have been in vain :lol:

Bellside Bud outed! :o

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:42 PM, Bellside Bud said:

So long as there are generous community spirited people willing to donate to food banks people will continue to use them and rightly so. It's not a mark of a failing society its a mark of a caring society looking after its own

I've also shown statistics that show increase use of food banks is more down to the increased availability of food banks and not a decline in standards across the UK. 

The voluntary support given to food banks is "rather uplifting" and "shows what a compassionate country we are", Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg has said.

He told LBC radio the only reason for the rise in their use was "that people know that they are there".

Jacob Rees-Mogg

13 hours ago, shull said:

I enjoy Question Time. 

Some of the guests are very poor. 

Will Self being one of the worst. 

Bizarrely he isn't the worst tonight, not by a large margin. Dawn Butler was so bad it looked like the other panelists had to pull back from their arguments so as not to make it look like they were bludgeoning the village idiot for being stupid. 

16 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Bellside Bud outed! :o

Jacob Rees-Mogg

I think the idea is that the left wing have decided that because this man has views about abortion that they don't like, he is the devil incarnate and thus everything else he says has to be treated as simply wrong, regardless of what he actually says.

This is the left for you. They like to tell everyone how to think. Disagree with them and you are evil.

The arrogance is breathtaking. The idea that people like salmondbuddie, bud the baker and TPAK thingy and their like genuinely believe they are in sole possession of "the truth" and "the moral high ground" is absolutely hilarious. :lol:

I am pretty sure Orwell was talking about the left wing in 1984. He must have been.

I can't be certain though. I tend not to read fictituous stories now that I am a grown adult.

Edited by oaksoft

19 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

Correct, I've got too much respect for her.

That's a pretty lame response - they were some real crackers you could have chosen from.

Still you got a few likes so I suppose it's not that bad.

Mind you, Faraway Saint likes pretty much every post anyone puts out there so that devalues it a bit.

And Cockles and TPAK thingy seems to like every single post you make - perhaps you are related - so it wouldn't be fair to include them either.

Anyway well done on getting one like for a lame response.

The Americans call that "sweating the asset" and you certainly got more juice out of that line than it deserved. :lol:

Edited by oaksoft

That's a pretty lame response - they were some real crackers you could have chosen from.
Still you got a few likes so I suppose it's not that bad.
Mind you, Faraway Saint likes pretty much every post anyone puts out there so that devalues it a bit.
And Cockles and TPAK thingy seems to like every single post you make - perhaps you are related - so it wouldn't be fair to include them either.
Anyway well done on getting one like for a lame response.
The Americans call that "sweating the asset" and you certainly got more juice out of that line than it deserved. [emoji38]

This from the poster who accused me of being condescending, you couldn't make it up.