The Politics Thread

shull

Guest TPAFKATS
What is wrong with Fracking ? 
Would it not mean cheaper Fuel for all ? 

It's sold on that premise. Hasn't really worked out that way, particularly when the Saudis get upset.

It's also pretty shite for the local environment.

2 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

It's sold on that premise. Hasn't really worked out that way, particularly when the Saudis get upset.

It's also pretty shite for the local environment.

Eh ?

I've been paying 5p for my Carrier Bags for ages.

Environment has never been better.

Guest TPAFKATS
Boris shows his class by saying that the Libyan city of Sirte could be the new Dubai - adding "all they have to do is clear the dead bodies away".

Boris is trying, on an almost daily basis now to get sacked. May is keeping him in government so that he's stained by the pish of Brexit and doesn't get to take the leaders job after her.

He's an utter psychopath

12 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Boris is trying, on an almost daily basis now to get sacked. May is keeping him in government so that he's stained by the pish of Brexit and doesn't get to take the leaders job after her.

He's an utter psychopath

I agree wholeheartedly. He is very, very trying and I suspect lots of Conservatives think so too. :rolleyes:

Edited by smcc

18 minutes ago, melmac said:

Scotland should really just take a leaf out of Catalonia's (proposed) book, update and restate the Declaration of Arbroath, see then what Dastardly and Muttley say.

Oh forgot, this is Scotland, apathy in motion.

Well said- First line and then its the hold on....................

Fact is Scots hate Scots , always have always will ,  Scots have slaughtered Scots in Scotland on a regular basis. Landowners have always had English interest as well as Scottish..

This is nothing like Catalonia , its not even Quebec..................... Honestly right now with all this crap going on the Spanish thing has shown actually how humane the UK is in comparison, and how truly fascist they are

2 hours ago, melmac said:

Scotland should really just take a leaf out of Catalonia's (proposed) book, update and restate the Declaration of Arbroath, see then what Dastardly and Muttley say.

Oh forgot, this is Scotland, apathy in motion.

What?

After a majority voted to stay in the union?

You call respecting the democratic wil of the people "apathy in motion"?

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Democracy is only acceptable if it goes in favour of the "yes" voters.

Astounding the terms used and refusal to accept the democratic vote.

It's not simply a matter of "refusing to accept the result" - it's questioning whether the promises made about transfer of powers made during that campaign have been honoured, then there's the massive change in circumstances brought about by the Brexit vote (the prospects of an Independent Scotland being allowed into the EU was a major issue in IndyRef1) and also the question of the power grab by Westminster in the current departure process.

Salmond's "promise" of the Independence referendum being a "once in a generation" event is being used by people and politicians who wouldn't accept anything else the wee man said as reason enough against a second vote - fair enough that's politics but even Ruth Davidson can see that it's not a Union of equals. Throw in the Scottish Labour leader at the time of the Independence referendum quitting because she felt she was in charge of a "branch office" and her successor being forced out by supporters of the UK leader (as alleged by ScotLab MSP Jackie Baillie) followed by the LibDems who want a second EuroRef but not another Independence one and I'd say there's something rotten about the state of the Union.

I want a second IndyRef, I want independence for Scotland and I hope & trust Nicola Sturgeon will be able to choose the right moment to try again, just like Bruce's spider! :P

Edited by Bud the Baker

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

It's not simply a matter of "refusing to accept the result" - it's questioning whether the promises made about transfer of powers made during that campaign have been honoured, then there's the massive change in circumstances brought about by the Brexit vote (the prospects of an Independent Scotland being allowed into the EU was a major issue in IndyRef1) and also the question of the power grab by Westminster in the current departure process.

Salmond's "promise" of the Independence referendum being a "once in a generation" event is being used by people and politicians who wouldn't accept anything the wee man said as reason enough against a second vote - fair enough that's politics but even Ruth Davidson can see that it's not a Union of equals. Throw in the Scottish Labour leader at the time of the Independence referendum quitting because she felt she was in charge of a "branch office" and her successor being forced out by supporters of the UK leader (as alleged by ScotLab MSP Jackie Baillie) and I'd say there's something rotten about the state of the Union.

I want a second IndyRef, I want independence for Scotland and I hope & trust Nicola Sturgeon will be able to choose the right moment to try again, just like Bruce's spider! :P

See edited post. :byebye

3 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Cough Cough did Chough May have cough chough a bad Cough speach. 

Theresa May could have been one of the better Tory leaders. It was she who recognized the Tories had become "the nasty party" and yesterdays speech revived plans to regulate electricity prices plus a nod to the fact that more council houses need to be built. I think she is a "one nation Tory" at heart, what remains to be seen is whether she has the strength to push through these policies or whether they will go the way of her "tackling the unacceptable face of capitalism" rhetoric. I suspect the latter.

A mixture of criticism from the hard right and the mocking of her illness impaired performance will serve to keep her on as a weak leader till Brexit happens by which time one of the self proclaimed "Golden intake of 2010" will be primed to take over. 

Edited by Bud the Baker

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Theresa May could have been one of the better Tory leaders. It was she who recognized the Tories had become "the nasty party" and yesterdays speech revived plans to regulate electricity prices plus a nod to the fact that more council houses need to be built. I think she is a "one nation Tory" at heart, what remains to be seen is whether she has the strength to push through these policies or whether they will go the way of her "tackling the unacceptable face of capitalism" rhetoric. I suspect the latter.

A mixture of criticism from the hard right and the mocking of her illness impaired performance will serve to keep her on as a weak leader till Brexit happens by which time one of the self proclaimed "Golden intake of 2010" will be primed to take over. 

They were sound bites 25,000 houses is not nearly enough.  Who not sort out big cooperates tax avoidance she could sort out a lot of austerity. A tory is a tory no such thing as social conscience  one. She is clearly a weak leader given the back peddling  from her manifesto. It really scares me that these idiots are doing Brexit. 

14 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

They were sound bites 25,000 houses is not nearly enough.  Who not sort out big cooperates tax avoidance she could sort out a lot of austerity. A tory is a tory no such thing as social conscience  one. She is clearly a weak leader given the back peddling  from her manifesto. It really scares me that these idiots are doing Brexit. 

Agree with much off what you're saying but I'd disagree with the simplicity of a Tory is a Tory. If you read the agenda of Britannia Unchained from the Conservative intake of 2010 and who already have members at Cabinet level you'd retract that statement - scrapping the minimum wage, further diminution of workers rights.

Patel, Rabb, Truss et al are truly Thatcher's Children and woe betide us if they ever get free rein to impose their policies on the nation.

Just on my way back home from Liverpool. Great City but two things I take for granted as a Scottish citizen were denied me. The first was free wi-fi. Never thought I'd be proud of Scot-Rail but then, I'm not English. Second was my good lady needed an emergency prescription. It's £8.50 for the English and when in England you don't have the SNP looking after your interests. Made me think Scotland was a forward looking country. Must have been drinking too much.

Got a bargain there mate or a typo £8.60 the proper rate [emoji6] and I'm sure I read somwhere with exemptions there are only something like 20% or less in England who actually pay, makes you wonder if the admin costs are worth considering the Scottish example.

The main reason they're free in Scotland is precisely that, the business case done a good few years ago showed it was cheaper to have them free than to means test.