Anyone but England

East Lothian Saint

ANYONE BUT ENGER..LUND

Was it just a generational thing or is it still a fact of life that the Scots just refuse to support England and they take great pleasure in supporting Engerland’s opposition. Over the years, I have bought or borrowed Brazil, Germany, Argentina, etc tops just to go to the pub and show my support for anyone but England. I was not alone and many other like-minded Scots did the same. Last night was a real Dilemma. Living in North Berwick which is just 37 miles away from the English Border Many English and Sevco fans who frequent the pubs there were challenging a number of us “Anyone but England” Scots to wear an England Top because our fate depended on England winning.

I Couldn’t do it and I found a strange Ally who was also committed to the Anyone but England Cause.

Isn’t it just amazing how football can bring us all together.

ST-Morton.png

2 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

ANYONE BUT ENGER..LUND

Was it just a generational thing or is it still a fact of life that the Scots just refuse to support England and they take great pleasure in supporting Engerland’s opposition. Over the years, I have bought or borrowed Brazil, Germany, Argentina, etc tops just to go to the pub and show my support for anyone but England. I was not alone and many other like-minded Scots did the same. Last night was a real Dilemma. Living in North Berwick which is just 37 miles away from the English Border Many English and Sevco fans who frequent the pubs there were challenging a number of us “Anyone but England” Scots to wear an England Top because our fate depended on England winning.

I Couldn’t do it and I found a strange Ally who was also committed to the Anyone but England Cause.

Isn’t it just amazing how football can bring us all together.

ST-Morton.png

Sorry. I'm in the "Anyone but Engurland OR M*rt*n", brigade so you're barred!

I used to support whoever was playing England in the days when their media lackeys and supporters acted like the sun shone out their arses and they actually thought they were going to win every tournament they qualified for. A sense of realism finally seems to have settled over them, and with cnuts like John Terry or Ashley Cole no longer in their team, I have no reason to assume my default position of automatically rooting for their opponents any longer. Having said that, that irritating wee chunt Delle Alli gets on my tits and I simply want an opponent to boot his smug wee arse about ten feet in the air at the earliest opportunity. The longer that wee prick runs around with three lions on his shirt increases my chances of reverting to type. :P

Edited by pozbaird

Just now, pozbaird said:

I used to support whoever was playing England in the days when their media lackeys and supporters acted like the sun shone out their arses and they actually thought they were going to win every tournament they qualified for. A sense of realism finally seems to have settled over them, and with cnuts like John Terry or Ashley Cole no longer in their team, I have no reason to assume my default position of automatically rooting for their opponents any longer. Having said that, that irritating wee chunt Delle Alli gets on my tits and I simply want an opponent to boot his smug wee arse about ten feet in the air at the earliest opportunity. The longer that wee prick runs around with three lions on his shirt increases my chances of reverting to type. :P

That mob are on a downward spiral and will continue too as long as the top premiership teams are spending funny munny on european goods....

36 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

It would seem you've taken it a step further. You don't just want them to get beat. You want them done in in to. No need to revert to type it sounds like you are still a member of the ABE nation.

When will we see your likes again .................     Good Man

28 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

It would seem you've taken it a step further. You don't just want them to get beat. You want them done in in to. No need to revert to type it sounds like you are still a member of the ABE nation.

When will we see your likes again .................     Good Man

Hmm. No, I don't give a toss if England win, lose or draw - any more than I give a toss if Germany, Mexico, South Korea or Norway win lose or draw. I personally think Delle Alli is a snide wee cnut who likes to dish it out but not take it, so would quite happily see an opponent kick the torn-faced wee chunt up in the air. 

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Hmm. No, I don't give a toss if England win, lose or draw - any more than I give a toss if Germany, Mexico, South Korea or Norway win lose or draw. I personally think Delle Alli is a snide wee cnut who likes to dish it out but not take it, so would quite happily see an opponent kick the torn-faced wee chunt up in the air. 

So you've moved on to ABDA, Anyone Boot Delle Alli................seems like progress to me.

Never felt the need to join the unwarranted "dislike/hate England" as it's probably the media side that tend to exaggerate their position in world football, leading to jealousy/utter disbelief from others.

They do underperform, possibly for one of the reasons stated above about the influx of expensive foreign imports, good and bad.

They are a bit of a funny team in that they usually qualify easily then fall apart at the tournament.

Plenty of very good/good players, possibly lacking desire but that's hard to prove.

Anyway, hope they win their next game and we win ours.

Then it's really a last match decider for us to secure 2nd place and almost hysteria when we get a play off place. :clapping

31 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Never felt the need to join the unwarranted "dislike/hate England" as it's probably the media side that tend to exaggerate their position in world football, leading to jealousy/utter disbelief from others.

100% agree with this.

The English / British media are responsible for the resentment felt against England by the other home nations. The 1960s can't be mentioned in any context on tv without a reference to the World Cup.  Apparently England won the trophy once back then.

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

100% agree with this.

The English / British media are responsible for the resentment felt against England by the other home nations. The 1960s can't be mentioned in any context on tv without a reference to the World Cup.  Apparently England won the trophy once back then.

Their supporters haven't helped resentment levels though. The old days of assuming the Union flag was theirs, the hooliganism, the jingoism, the taking over of Johnny Foreigner towns and smashing them up. That, plus the fact Delle Alli is a fanny.

100% agree with this.

We still bang on about a goal we scored in 1978... Almost 40 years ago and only 12 years after they won the whole feckin tournament.

Can anyone honestly say we wouldn't dine out on it just as much if not even more?

12 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

We still bang on about a goal we scored in 1978... Almost 40 years ago and only 12 years after they won the whole feckin tournament.

Can anyone honestly say we wouldn't dine out on it just as much if not even more?

If I had a choice of never having to hear about one another team's victory ever again, it wouldn't be the one that happened at Wembley in 1966. It would be the one that happened a year later in Lisbon. Just shut the fcuk up and send Bertie Auld to pasture, would you? 'Ahhh we sang the Celtic song in the tunnel. Big Jock had the hearts beating out our chests. The Celtic strip felt tighter as we were so proud. The Italians thought we were mad. All from within thirty miles of Celtic Park'....yadda fcuking yadda fcuking yadda...

FFS x 100.

Edited by pozbaird

The difference is that it would not be brought up by the media as much if we had won it only by us :)

Living in England I have no problem supporting them when they play any other sport (unless its against Scotland of course) but they way 1966 gets brought up over and over and over and over...........again is a tad annoying. Its the same way most English are in the anyone but United camp as for a long time Man Utd were the media darlings and everything was somehow brought back round to them even when they were not playing.

Of course I now have the added bonus of winding up all my English family which I married into by supporting whoever they are playing against although this did have me thrown in a pool on holiday once but I did take two of them with me.

45 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Exactly.

We drag up the victory against England in 1967 FFS, not on the same planet as winning the world cup.

We would be equally as willing to bring any sort of any real success at any opportunity.

Naïve to think otherwise, and a tad jealous.

Edited by faraway saint

36 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

If I had a choice of never having to hear about one another team's victory ever again, it wouldn't be the one that happened at Wembley in 1966. It would be the one that happened a year later in Lisbon. Just shut the fcuk up and send Bertie Auld to pasture, would you? 'Ahhh we sang the Celtic song in the tunnel. Big Jock had the hearts beating out our chests. The Celtic strip felt tighter as we were so proud. The Italians thought we were mad. All from within thirty miles of Celtic Park'....yadda fcuking yadda fcuking yadda...

FFS x 100.

Again, if St Mirren had won any tournament worth talking about it would, and quite rightly, be remembered as much as possible.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

In context for a Scottish team to win the European cup, well, off the planet and should not be forgotten, especially by Celtic supporters.

Feck, again, we bring up victories in the Anglos Scottish cup, cup finals, quite fecking rightly.

That's what supporters do, isn't it?  :blink:

Anyone but England

I love to see England lose, I hope they lose, lose and lose some more.  The other night wasn't difficult as success for our wonderful nation is more important than England losing so not much of a conversation to be had here really.  On occasion I have wanted one of the bigot brothers to win as such  result has directly benefited the fortunes of the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co first team playing squad so again nothing earth shattering.  In the past it has been known for the Greenock underclass to do us the odd  favour by winning a football match.....

Anyway I do take great delight in watching England fail at football.  Gary Lineker, Glen Hoddle, Ian Wright are to England as Derek Johnstone was to the now defunct Rangers.  The wankery of them permeates society on many levels.  Christ almighty with a smattering of Moses, but why in the name of any made up God is it acceptable that England games are on council television and the rest of us have to pay extraordinary stupid prices to watch our nations on Sky sports (the same organisation that over funds the English football love in).  

English football is paid for by idiots who give far too much money to Sky for a product that is simply not worth it.  Instead of giving Sky £120 per calender month take your family on holiday, buy a new car, put better shoes on your children but FFS get a grip of yourself and stop funding these arseholes.

Yes forum dwellers anyone but England, anyone indeed.

50 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

English football is paid for by idiots who give far too much money to Sky for a product that is simply not worth it.  Instead of giving Sky £120 per calender month take your family on holiday, buy a new car, put better shoes on your children but FFS get a grip of yourself and stop funding these arseholes.

What if you have Sky primarily for their NFL and golf coverage? Frankly, I don't know how I sleep at night. I have Sky TV, paid for through the proper channels and not from some bloke down the boozer sorting me out for free. I'm sure some of the trainers I wear were made by nine year old Bangladeshi Morton fans. What should I do?

Guest TPAFKATS

How often do we go on about Scotland winning at Wembley in 1967 though? Probably mentioned briefly this year and gets brought up when we play at Wembley.
England 66 - just about every game they play and then some.

31 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

How often do we go on about Scotland winning at Wembley in 1967 though? Probably mentioned briefly this year and gets brought up when we play at Wembley.
England 66 - just about every game they play and then some.

But wouldn't that be the same if Scotland had won the world cup?

There really is no comparison between our win in 1967 and winning the world cup but it's still, albeit not as much, a talking point.

PS I happen to agree is laboured but I also remember fairly clearly that from 1970 we, again quite rightly, were "blawing" about our consistent qualifying for world cups.

They were the days.

Edited by faraway saint

Well being born in London and dragged up in Surrey it must be in the genes cause I cant stand the bastards.....

They are just so full of themselves and the only joy I take from them qualifying is that will find some really embarrassing way to get booted out. Not that losing to Iceland is embarrassing its just they think they are sooooooooo much better......  

My money this time is on them being kicked out the tourney cause the Russian thugs are in waiting.............

Even when I had bet money on them winning Monday, needed them to win for Scotland I still celebrated Slovaks goal......

5 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

I think the main problem is that it is brought up (often) on UK national broadcasts.  If they were on English regional TV then we, up here, would obviously not see it.  If we had ever won the world cup then, yes, we would keep going on about it but the English probably wouldn't hear it much as they probably wouldn't have Scotland games on their channels.

Possibly but it should hardly be seen as a "problem" by many.

We've already had a near hysteric post about Celtic winning the European cup, where do we draw the line?

Slightly irksome and a "who cares" is sufficient but it's blown out of proportion by many.

6 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

One was before I was born, the other when I was too young to know about it so I don't really care much about either.

What I find most annoying is people going on about things that didn't involve them in any way as if it should reflect well on them.  For example, like people younger than me going on about either of those two things.  It happens in all walks of life about many things, not just football.

Bannockburn ya Bass:boxing