St Mirren V Brechin City 30th September

Mr Zo

On 30/09/2017 at 6:17 PM, oaksoft said:

It's also one of the main reasons I don't go to as many games as I would like to.

At my age I'm just not prepared to tolerate this sort of behaviour and I can't get my kids to come to games anymore either because of it. We make the odd match now and then and that is it.

The other problem is having to buy a ticket to get in with a seat number stamped on it but that's a debate for another day.

Away games are more fun. Most of the arseholes don't do away games.

I don't go to games at New Douglas Park, I hate those Dirty Accie Bastards too much. 

18 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Given that we are top of the league at the quarter way mark with lots of first choice players out injured, I would say the team is doing a f**king awesome job right now.

But you are still not happy eh?

Do you remember how long it took us to get to 18 points last season?

For any fan to be anything other than delighted with how things are going is hilariously pathetic.

Agreed, it's a squad game these days and despite the carping I think yesterday's result shows ours is pretty decent for this level as shown by Dale Hilson who scored our winner and whose signing had flown under my radar.

Going off on a tangent my new favourite Saints player is Dakota King - crazy name, crazy guy!  :offtopic

Guest TPAFKATS

The last 3 games (dung, Queens and Brechin) we've been pretty poor, but taken 6 points out of nine.
All teams hit a poor spell during a season. Hoping this was ours [emoji6]

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Not arguing, only pointing out if you're not right you're wrong.......................again.

You'd never make an engineer. :byebye

A key skill of an engineer, and I am talking about a proper engineer here - not the guy who fixes your washing machine, is the ability to work with approximations. Trade offs if you prefer. So I am not sure of your point really.

Edited by oaksoft

21 minutes ago, shull said:

Highlights show that Ross Stewart didn't initially make an arse of his touch that he had to recover at the winner either and that the Brechin defender actually nudged him (fairly) causing the ball to bounce off him for what was almost a by kick. It was actually a good piece of defending that was recovered very well. 

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

A key skill of an engineer, and I am talking about a proper engineer here - not the guy who fixes your washing machine, is the ability to work with approximations. Trade offs if you prefer. So I am not sure of your point really.

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

If you went to any tradesman/professional of any discipline, never mind just an engineer, and told them that your measurements were all within 13% then I am fairly sure what their response would be. And it wouldn't be, "OK, we'll use your data for building the house/ship/Space Shuttle.". Maybe the Space Shuttle was a bad example, but you get the idea.

Aye, "work within approximations" would result in nothing being right which is the same as everything being wrong.

Poor Oaky. 

16 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

That's not necessarily true.  The approximations could turn out to be exactly right.  Of course, that also depends on what is actually meant by, or understood as, "exactly".

Though, when you know for a fact that at least one is almost 13% out, then that is a different matter.

Approximation isn't a term I'm familiar with in engineering, tolerance, on the other hand is and these are clearly stated.

5 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

If you went to any tradesman/professional of any discipline, never mind just an engineer, and told them that your measurements were all within 13% then I am fairly sure what their response would be. And it wouldn't be, "OK, we'll use your data for building the house/ship/Space Shuttle.". Maybe the Space Shuttle was a bad example, but you get the idea.

Actually it depends on what you are using the measurement for.

If you had been an engineer you would know that. :P

Accuracy is sometimes less important than precision.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Approximation isn't a term I'm familiar with in engineering, tolerance, on the other hand is and these are clearly stated.

You should try designing.

When trying out ideas for feasibility, being able to get a feel for numbers without getting a calculator out like a lost wee boy is a key skill.

9 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

The Channel tunnel would have been interesting !!  :P

I guarantee you that at an early stage, someone made some rough calculations on the back of a fag packet to get a feel for how much it would cost.  Every design would have initially been sketched out roughly on paper to get a feel for dimensions, structure and feasibility before getting out a calculator. Every single man hour calculation would have been estimated as well and then a portion added for a buffer. All of these are approximations carried out every day in every engineering firm in the world.

5 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

When?

Seriously?

OK I will humour you but you have to move away from the idea that engineering is just about screws and bolts.

When certainty is required.

For example keeping a piece of IT equipment 100% available is far more important than keeping the individual bits of hardware 100% reliable. I am assuming you know the difference between availability and reliability without checking google first. :P

10 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

When?

For example - if you approximated and inaccurately said that something cost £3 when it actually cost £3.38, and I gave you precisely £3.00 to buy it then, well, you know ...

Apart from you running away with my £3 what would be the outcome?

Why would you pay me £3 to buy it when experience should have told you that £3 was an approximation?

Most supermarket items are not on sale at exact numbers of pounds.

Maybe if you and FS tried to do the shopping one week instead of forcing your other halfs to do it, you would have a better feel for this sort of approximation technique. It is a very useful life skill.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I think 'Baw Hair' is/was a greatly favoured engineering term of tolerance, then again if Oaky gone for the plucked chicken look maybe he isn't familiar with that term?

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I guarantee you that at an early stage, someone made some rough calculations on the back of a fag packet to get a feel for how much it would cost.  Every design would have initially been sketched out roughly on paper to get a feel for dimensions, structure and feasibility before getting out a calculator. Every single man hour calculation would have been estimated as well and then a portion added for a buffer. All of these are approximations carried out every day in every engineering firm in the world.

Well , i`ve scoured this site and cant see any references to Fag packets . :P:rolleyes:  

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/build/

Mind you , you may have a point . While searching for engineering drawings, I found this early design sketch for our new aircraft Carriers.

image.jpeg.4eaa659f9b018030c798fb6c3014b578.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I think 'Baw Hair' is/was a greatly favoured engineering term of tolerance, then again if Oaky gone for the plucked chicken look maybe he isn't familiar with that term?

A "baw hair" is .004" or .1mm, head hair is the same and I sill use it as a means of giving an example of numbers on a drawing. 

I don't use real examples. :rolleyes: