Gary McKenzie

25 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Depends the extent of his injury... is it a strain or a tear? I suspect he will not be back until he has a week or more of physio at least

If it was a tear then its about a year out so I suspect its just a tweek.  Even a rupture is a good 6-8 months.

3 minutes ago, smcc said:

A rupture is a complete tear. Why should it heal more quickly than a tear

Ok I should have used the word torn.  I tore my Achilles two years ago (ie not completely snapped) and it took me 8 months to make a reasonable recovery ie walk without pain.

24 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Ok I should have used the word torn.  I tore my Achilles two years ago (ie not completely snapped) and it took me 8 months to make a reasonable recovery ie walk without pain.

Yes - I presumed it is much more minor or we would have had an announcement of a more serious nature.. I was only alluding to the possibilities, based on the open nature of the question "Those kind of injury's"

But we are guessing as to what Gary is experiencing... Hopefully some physio, ultrasound, swimming etc. and he will be raring to go in the next week or two..

Personally tendons and ligament injury's were more often  worse for me than broken bones... fortunately I never had Achilles ..

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

Yes - I presumed it is much more minor or we would have had an announcement of a more serious nature.. I was only alluding to the possibilities, based on the open nature of the question "Those kind of injury's"

But we are guessing as to what Gary is experiencing... Hopefully some physio, ultrasound, swimming etc. and he will be raring to go in the next week or two..

Personally tendons and ligament injury's were more often  worse for me than broken bones... fortunately I never had Achilles ..

I badly broke my ankle once and was in hospital for a couple of days for an op to install some bolts and steel plates. 10 weeks to the day later I climbed Ben Lomond. Give me a break over an Achilles problem any day. If you feel any twinge on an Achilles then rest it immediately or else you are looking for trouble.

14 hours ago, Sonny said:

Aye. It was harder than climbing the stairs :)

Aye, but it was 10 weeks after having his ancle bolted together with metal plates and screws - I broke both ankles playing football, at different times and it still felt odd for several months, bending, twisting, passing, tackling, even going up stairs.. I never had any metalwork either.

20 hours ago, Sonny said:

I badly broke my ankle once and was in hospital for a couple of days for an op to install some bolts and steel plates. 10 weeks to the day later I climbed Ben Lomond. Give me a break over an Achilles problem any day. If you feel any twinge on an Achilles then rest it immediately or else you are looking for trouble.

How would one know if one was having a twinge on an Achilles.  Where exactly is it?

Achilles tendon tear: Tears of the Achilles tendon can be tiny (microtears), or large, causing pain, swelling, and impaired movement. They may occur suddenly during activity, or gradually over time.

• Achilles tendon rupture: A complete rupture of the Achilles tendon may make a "pop" sound, followed by pain and swelling of the lower leg. Treating an Achilles tendon rupture requires surgery or long-term immobilization of the ankle.
  • Achilles tendinitis (tendonitis): Frequent activity (running or walking) can gradually inflame the end of the Achilles tendon, causing pain and stiffness at the back of the heel. Rest, ice, and stretching may speed healing, which can take weeks.
  • Achilles peritendonitis: Similar to Achilles tendonitis, but inflammation and pain occur in the tissue surrounding the tendon, often two or more inches above the heel. 
  • Achilles tendinosis: Gradual thickening of the Achilles tendon without apparent inflammation, due to aging or overuse. Despite the thickening, the tendon is weakened and prone to further injury or rupture.
  • Achilles tendinopathy: A general term for tendinitis or tendinosis affecting the Achilles tendon.
  • Achilles or heel (calcaneal) bursitis: Low-riding shoes can irritate the bursa, a sac of fluid cushioning the Achilles tendon at the heel. Pain in the back of the heel, worse with shoes on, is the common symptom.