St Mirren v Dundee United SPFL Championship 29/12/17

shull

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Genuine question, where were the almost 2000 empty seats in that ground last night? I thought it was closer to 7000 than 6000.

I would guess 400 in North Stand. 900 in South Stand and 250 each in the West and East Stand = 1800 empty seats. This is just my opinion mind you :)

6 hours ago, Mr Zo said:

My mate text after Morgan's first goal to say that he loves Jack Ross's tactics 'Just give the ball to Morgan". It does seem to work.

A special mention for Stelios who I also thought had a great tidy and effective game keeping McMullen and co fairly quiet. He grafted away well and gave a controlled defensive performance. He didn't offer too much going forward but I think he was obviously told to keep things tight at the back.

That is one area that worried me as McMullen got the better of him a few times in the early stages. However after Magennis clattered him he never kicked another ball.

Great result last night! Was at the game, recorded the BT coverage and have just watched it. Glad to see the pundits finally giving Saints some credit. For the last few months we've been nip and tuck with United at the top of the league but have hardly had a mention in the media. It's all been about United, understandably I suppose, as they are the 'premiership club' and are 'destined to return to the top league'. After last night at least we'll be taken seriously. I'm not a McCoist fan, but he was very positive about our second half performance and even Chris Sutton (Mr. Negative) had to agree that we were the better team overall. 

Don't like to see players get serious injuries, but United were lost after Flood's injury. Shows just how much influence he has on the team....despite being a wee moaner.

As for us, Baird and Davis were magnificent throughout and ensured United hardly got a sniff of goal. McGinn and McShane worked hard in front of them without reaching their usual great heights. Similarly, Smith and Mullen up front did some great running. Morgan was just sublime. Stepped up in the absence of Reilly, who was definitely missed.

On to the derby. Let's pay them back for the 2-2 draw in Paisley.   COYS!!

25 minutes ago, pondsman said:

Great result last night! Was at the game, recorded the BT coverage and have just watched it. Glad to see the pundits finally giving Saints some credit. For the last few months we've been nip and tuck with United at the top of the league but have hardly had a mention in the media. It's all been about United, understandably I suppose, as they are the 'premiership club' and are 'destined to return to the top league'. After last night at least we'll be taken seriously. I'm not a McCoist fan, but he was very positive about our second half performance and even Chris Sutton (Mr. Negative) had to agree that we were the better team overall. 

Don't like to see players get serious injuries, but United were lost after Flood's injury. Shows just how much influence he has on the team....despite being a wee moaner.

As for us, Baird and Davis were magnificent throughout and ensured United hardly got a sniff of goal. McGinn and McShane worked hard in front of them without reaching their usual great heights. Similarly, Smith and Mullen up front did some great running. Morgan was just sublime. Stepped up in the absence of Reilly, who was definitely missed.

On to the derby. Let's pay them back for the 2-2 draw in Paisley.   COYS!!

Agree with every word!

That was a great night....

As soon as the second half started it looked like Lewis was looking to take the game by the scruff of the neck and that's exactly what he did.

Huge psychological blow for United and, given their funds, I'm amazed at the lack of depth in their squad. Have they blown most of their budget on McDonald, Fyvie, King, McMullan and Keatings? 4 teenagers and a 20 year old made up 5 of their 7 subs last night.  You wonder if there will be any money for Laszlo to spend in the next few weeks.....

Edited by Julian Banjos

14 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

That was a great night....

As soon as the second half started it looked like Lewis was looking to take the game by the scruff of the neck and that's exactly what he did.

Huge psychological blow for United and, given their funds, I'm amazed at the lack of depth in their squad. Have they blown most of their budget on McDonald, Fyvie, King, McMullan and Keatings? 4 teenagers and a 20 year old made up 5 of their 7 subs last night.  You wonder if there will be any money for Laszlo to spend in the next few weeks.....

if the rumours are to be believed they are financially in deep shit. We have money to buy in January especially if Hibs sell Mcginn. Nonetheless  even if that doesn't happen there will be players going out and new faces arriving and i more than trust Jack Ross's judgement in that department.

Great night excellent result and really good atmosphere enjoyed the night. Defence were solid, Morgan and Smith were usual selfs and new boy Mullen worked his socks off. Still think mcginn and mcshane need to impose themselves more on game but had better 2nd halves. Tuesday is massive game really looking forward to it. Duffy will have them doubled up on Morgan so we will need others to step up to the plate Tuesday. Has ref been announced for Tuesday ?

Watched the game from the sofa in darkest Essex. After what was a poor start first half thought we stepped up in the second half and by pressing United were by far the better team.
While Morgan gains the plaudits thought McGinn and McShane were the two who kept the game moving. McGinn’s ball to Morgan for the second was the pass of the game.
Back four looked comfortable and in first half across the line were first class. Penalty may have been soft but would have been disappointed if we were not given one like that. Seen Samson’s save a few times now and it just looks better on each view.
The depth of the squad is excellent for a club with our budget. Compared to United we had a better mix of experience and youth. Though the first eleven did not need any changes until the last 5 mins,which were only to run the clock down. Credit to Jack and his staff they know when to make changes and when to have faith in the team on the park.
As for the “experts” on BT they give their views and that is all it is a view. Sutton cannot help trying to be controversial, think he likes an argument . Should probably join the Forum [emoji6]
Any way on to Tuesday and another tough game but one that we can get something from. For me at work I need to find a way to watch any sensible suggestions welcome.

With Fraser Fyvie out injured for rest of season and Willow Flood picking up what looked like an injury that could keep him out the side for a while there is plenty to be positive about while United struggle.

Our long term absentees are back ie Davis, Gary Mac and McGennis and will continue to improve the more games they play.

Still buzzing after last night and I was sober. I was so tempted to ditch the car after the game and head to the Bankhouse but last time I was there I ended up in Vienna's which tells it's own story. :-(

Watched the game from the sofa in darkest Essex. After what was a poor start first half thought we stepped up in the second half and by pressing United were by far the better team.
While Morgan gains the plaudits thought McGinn and McShane were the two who kept the game moving. McGinn’s ball to Morgan for the second was the pass of the game.
Back four looked comfortable and in first half across the line were first class. Penalty may have been soft but would have been disappointed if we were not given one like that. Seen Samson’s save a few times now and it just looks better on each view.
The depth of the squad is excellent for a club with our budget. Compared to United we had a better mix of experience and youth. Though the first eleven did not need any changes until the last 5 mins,which were only to run the clock down. Credit to Jack and his staff they know when to make changes and when to have faith in the team on the park.
As for the “experts” on BT they give their views and that is all it is a view. Sutton cannot help trying to be controversial, think he likes an argument . Should probably join the Forum [emoji6]
Any way on to Tuesday and another tough game but one that we can get something from. For me at work I need to find a way to watch any sensible suggestions welcome.

Mcginns pass to morgan for the second wasn't really anything special I don't think. He just passed it straight back to him. It was Morgan that made the goal not the pass imo.

Mcginns pass to morgan for the second wasn't really anything special I don't think. He just passed it straight back to him. It was Morgan that made the goal not the pass imo.

May be wrong but thought United defender touched onto McGinn whose deft touch returned to Morgan either way great finish.

Massive!! Massive three points!!!

Lacked composure in the first and allowed lads like Flood, Fraser and Stanton to control the game without too much damage. Skippy absolutely stranded up front.

Second half much better with Morgan taking the game by the scruff of the neck, could see he was getting in the mood by the latter part of the first half.

Happy with Mullen’s contribution, put himself about, ran his socks off and won us a few fouls which got us up the park. Clearly short of match fitness and sharpness but that’ll come with more game time under his belt.

No issue with Rae or McCoist’s punditry, fairly balanced I thought. I do take grievance with Sutton and Craigan making us out to be a one man team, even going as far to say that Utd had more match winners in their team when they have only one player high up the scoring charts and we have three????????????

f**king yaldi!!