Darren Whyte Gone

shull

I suppose it was playing loanee McGregor, for no good reason, that bugged me most. Some attack  right enough, 3 of our best ever. I do remember McDougall and Logan missing chance after chance in the infamous phantom goal replay against Rangers a year before though!
But, all that is a discussion for another day!  is McCart a centre half?

Aye.

20 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

Good luck to Darren. Good player who isn't been given a chance. would rather have him at CB than Gary Irvine. But not to be we would rather have a Celtic reserve player than our own. what's the point of that.

For me this is the crux of the matter - it's not a battle hardened pro we're bringing in it's a player with less than 20 senior games - most of them for a poor ICT team last season. I'll admit the 2J's have seen both play and rate McCart higher but how familiar is he with our team system I'd have preferred to stick with DW.

Whyte isn't even a defender , he's a midfielder. If we'd played Whyte at CB tomorrow and lost, then everyone would have been on JRs case , especially when you consider that if McCart hadn't signed with us he would be playing for ICT , Dundee Utd or Raith, who were all lining up to sign him ,  this weekend . We nicked in and nabbed him simply because we need what he can bring to the team at this point in time !

Darren needs game time. He was out for a large chunk of last season with injury and has played this season in the first team out of position.  McCart has played 20 Premier League games as a centre half so is far more experienced than Darren. Good move for everyone as far as I can see. And it is only for 3 months.

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

The manager and his team obviously feel that Darren needs more experience and that McCart is the short term answer.
Not sure why it's an issue

Correct, They made it very clear at the recent Q&A that they have a lot of time for Darren and see a future for him but he was not quite ready for the championship and the ideal scenario was for him to get a decent loan deal and get first team experience.