Who Was St Mirin ?

shull

I've heard that when the team were named somebody got it badly wrong Apparently Mirren is the female spelling of the Celtic name Mirin Don't tell the opponents or we'll be labelled a team of lassies! Also I've seen references to a Cornish St Meryn Coincidence given the celtic links between Cornwall Wales Ireland and Scotland?

Edited by Danny

10 minutes ago, Danny said:

I've heard that when the team were named somebody got it badly wrong Apparently Mirren is the female spelling of the Celtic name Mirin Don't tell the opponents or we'll be labelled a team of lassies! Also I've seen references to a Cornish St Meryn Coincidence given the celtic links between Cornwall Wales Ireland and Scotland?

Inchmurrin, the island in Loch Lomond is also named after him so it looks like the spelling did vary somewhat.

Take a look at what Wiki says :-

an Irish monk and missionary (born c. 565; died c. 620), is also known as Mirren of Benchor (now called Bangor), Merinus, Merryn and Meadhrán. The patron saint of the town and Roman Catholic diocese of Paisley, Scotland, he was the founder of a religious community which grew to become Paisley Abbey. The shrine of this saint in the abbey became a centre of pilgrimage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Mirin

Now the Football team named after him play at a centre of pilgrimage

12 hours ago, Danny said:

William Wallace's wife in Braveheart was called Murron.

All together now - PROMO-SHUN!

I was under the impression that St mirren had to change the spelling of the club name due to a protest from the catholic church

I think that might be the wrong way round. I was told by my grampa that they chose the spelling so as not to be thought of as a catholic club. Paisley was a centre of liberal presbyterianism at the time.

2 hours ago, rabuddies said:

I think that might be the wrong way round. I was told by my grampa that they chose the spelling so as not to be thought of as a catholic club. Paisley was a centre of liberal presbyterianism at the time.

Not convinced. If that was the case why not call themselves Paisley FC or something! Mirin was also known as Mirren. 

Not a huge amount of information is known about the Saint either which is a shame.