Archibald

shull

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

He brought Victor in thank you what amazing player. 

Victor played what? 20 games max for us?

He might have been a great player in his own right but he was wasted on us. The duds he had around him weren’t on his wavelength and he must have cost us a fortune. So I wouldn’t regard him as “the only good thing” at all. Complete and utter waste of money. 

8 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

He might have been a great player in his own right but he was wasted on us. The duds he had around him weren’t on his wavelength and he must have cost us a fortune. So I wouldn’t regard him as “the only good thing” at all. Complete and utter waste of money. 

Paul Lambert was a diffrent player after playing  along side Victor in midfield for the better. Who can forget that wonderful strike at Stranrarer . 

As mentioned above, he played alongside a future European Champion and Scotland captain in midfield.

9 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Paul Lambert was a diffrent player after playing  along side Victor in midfield for the better. Who can forget that wonderful strike at Stranrarer . 

Was he?

His career kicked off once he took a gamble to go to Germany and changed his position

Archibald was a complete dud and waste of money got paid so much for so little

Victor good player he was didn't make much impact as the team finished bottom

Scored a couple of goals and ran off the pitch needing a shite is what i remember him for

49 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Was he?

His career kicked off once he took a gamble to go to Germany and changed his position

Scored a couple of goals and ran off the pitch needing a shite is what i remember him for

9 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Lambert must’ve done something right at Motherwell to get the move to Dortmund in the first place but I agree with WC that he only became a great player after going there.

Either way, we certainly didnae benefit in any way from any influence Víctor may have had over Lambert. 

Checked wiki by the way. If it can be believed, Víctor only made 18 appearances for us. Barely enough to have any influence over anything. 

Probably the best player ever to have played for us in the modern era, but I reckon not even in the top 25 of best players while with us.  If you know what I mean. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Lambert must’ve done something right at Motherwell to get the move to Dortmund in the first place but I agree with WC that he only became a great player after going there.
Either way, we certainly didnae benefit in any way from any influence Víctor may have had over Lambert. 
Checked wiki by the way. If it can be believed, Víctor only made 18 appearances for us. Barely enough to have any influence over anything. 
Probably the best player ever to have played for us in the modern era, but I reckon not even in the top 25 of best players while with us.  If you know what I mean. 

I thought he was still a great player when he was with us. Miles ahead of both sets of players on the park with him.
Never realised he played so few games though.

4 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

I thought he was still a great player when he was with us. Miles ahead of both sets of players on the park with him.
Never realised he played so few games though.

Yeah I agree and as I said he was wasted on us to the point where his skills were almost rendered ineffectual. 

Great players for me though are players who have had a sustained positive impact on the team and in that respect Víctor wouldn’t even be on my radar. 

6 minutes ago, notabuddie said:

I would agree we only got Victor because of Archibald the trouble was Victor was always a couple of steps or moves ahead of the rest of the team

Sorry to be picking on you it's just the last post.

By that logic should we not just stop playing Lewis Morgan?

You never lose by having someone like Victor in the team ahead of whatever long forgotten player he replaced - if only briefly.

11 minutes ago, notabuddie said:

You can't say morgan is way ahead of his team unlike Victor. The team we had then was terrible. Morgan has the talent but I would not say he has the experience to be thinking way ahead of the rest of the team

I can and I did.

I just don't accept the analogy, and even if I'm wrong should an experienced player like Victor should've been able to adapt?

Yeah I agree he way past his prime but he was still better than any of the players he had around him. Talent is not the end all be all its the experience that goes with the talent. No doubt you said the same about Mallan now look at him he can't get a place on the bench in the championship down south. Morgan is in the same bracket. He has the talent but not the experience to think ahead

2 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

Was he?

Archibald was a waste of space and a drain on our finances. He did well at Hibs the club obviously thought he would be the same for us. Victor had class so i will put it another way he helped Paul Lambert to develop better in his time at St Mirren Football Club. Hope that clarifies what i wrote above more clearly.  

2 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

Was he?

John McGinn, McLean , Mallan , Morgan  will improve when they move on/ have moved  because they will have better players around them . We are a club that develops young players who move onto bigger clubs to develop further reaching a peek. If they were not good to begin with they would not be wanted by clubs far larger than us. Paul Lambert anyone ? 

58 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

John McGinn, McLean , Mallan , Morgan  will improve when they move on/ have moved  because they will have better players around them . We are a club that develops young players who move onto bigger clubs to develop further reaching a peek. If they were not good to begin with they would not be wanted by clubs far larger than us. Paul Lambert anyone ? 

I wouldn't say Motherwell are far bigger than us

In fact when Lambert first broke through he was playing with better players than any at Motherwell

He got asked for a trail and their coach saw something in him in another position than the one he usually played