Catalonia

Guest TPAFKATS

Guest TPAFKATS

Some shocking scenes coming out of Barcelona and wider Catalonia. Riot police attacking peaceful citizens who are attempting to vote.

The Spanish police, at the behest of the Spanish Government have just lost Catalonia imo.

One must salute the bravery of the Catalonian people for turning out to vote, the people who manned the polling stations etc etc....what brilliant people.

The Spanish government have made a right Labour of this.....Catalonia will in all likliehood declare itself an independent nation.  Good luck to them and it will be very interesting to see how the international community responds.  Our government have already shown themselves to be weak.

Interestingly I have been following the story all day over on the twitters and Scottish Labour have disgraced themselves today, these people really are the daftest of idiots.  Kezia Dugdale to her credit condemned the violence early doors but our Renfrewshire Labour councillors have conducted themselves appallingly, apparently its the SNP's fault!  How unlucky are we in that however bad Labour are in Renfrewshire we see, to have the poorest calibre of Labour idiot. 

17 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Shocking scenes . Some very worrying developments in Madrid too with a large protest meeting  , crowd singing Facist songs and lots of nazi style salutes on show :angry:

Agree with this.

Where do Catalonia & Spain go from here? I'm not sure on the legality of this vote as Barcelona & Madrid disagree, perhaps the result will force a legally binding rerun. I'm just guessing here but my thinking is that many No voters would've stayed at home.

Anyone with good news, feel free to post it.

Catalonia & Spain, alas not much difference between Scotland and the rest of the UK.

If the Spanish Gov.  let Catalonia have a legally binding referendum that will allow them to secede, then that will be the only way out for them I suspect.

I see the EU have refused to condem the Spanish authorities over the Violence , choosing instead to say it was an internal domestic issue . Oh aye , Paramilitary forces knocking f**k out of their own citizens is simply a domestic !! :o     

They did however give Spain a severe warning earlier this year over their excessive use of plastic bags, Dontcha just love `em ? ^_^

As for the Spanish PM , he praised the "efective & serence" police action in the face of extreme provocation.  :unsure::(

BTW , Happy Birthday today to Gandhi.   Spanish PM reckons you would be first in line for a  f**kin kickin..

This could open a huge fracture in Spain. The Francoist types in the 70s were appeased by pledges that the monarchy would not be undermined, and that the country would remain unified under the crown.

The very concept of an independent republic was always likely to rouse those with fascistic leanings,, and the cowards in helmets battering women and old folks were carrying out their bidding.

Guest TPAFKATS
This could open a huge fracture in Spain. The Francoist types in the 70s were appeased by pledges that the monarchy would not be undermined, and that the country would remain unified under the crown.
The very concept of an independent republic was always likely to rouse those with fascistic leanings,, and the cowards in helmets battering women and old folks were carrying out their bidding.

Rajoy the Spanish pm relies on basque votes to have a majority in parliament. He could struggle now

It is unfortunate that the acts of terror in France and Las Vegas have very quickly shifted focus away from this most important of topics (the attacks were entirely unfortunate it is the timing I am commenting on).

I see the BBC have moved as quickly as possible to report on the newer stories and push this massive crisis of democracy and human rights somewhat down the pecking order.  What a pathetic organisation the BBC have become.

One again I salute the people of Catalonia for showing such bravery in the face of such cowardly and pathetic oppression from a yellow bellied  bastard Spanish government.  Make no mistake people, this is a fellow European democracy and this disgrace reflects on us all.  The Westminster gov have issued a weak as piss statement on the subject, Scottish Labour blame the SNP (these people are morons, check the the twitter accounts of our own Renfrewshire Labour cllr's, these people are brain dead) and our national news agency appears to be trying to avoid the subject altogether.  I can say with confidence that if I was a Catalonian I would have been one of the elderly voters with his head split open.......

Barcelona FC are worthy of a mention, what terrific conduct and although a big club it is fair to say that they are indeed a community club.  Magnificent from them.  Did anyone note the conduct of La Liga in forcing them play yesterday?  Or the attempt by Las Palmas to heighten tensions by adding the Spanish flag to the Las Palmas strip for that one game?  The Spanish FA and the Scottish FA appear to have much in common.  

Edited by TediousTom

90% that voted were in favour.

Aye, but the vast majority of those against indy didn't vote, votes cast totalled less than half of the registered voters. If Spain had recognised it, and everyone had participated, polls suggested a No result.

Spain's shot itself in the foot, imo, I think it's inevitable that there will be a recognised referendum in the near future and its actions yesterday will have swayed a good few No voters.

12 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

Aye, but the vast majority of those against indy didn't vote, votes cast totalled less than half of the registered voters. If Spain had recognised it, and everyone had participated, polls suggested a No result.

Spain's shot itself in the foot, imo, I think it's inevitable that there will be a recognised referendum in the near future and its actions yesterday will have swayed a good few No voters.

It's not an argument that the people against didn't vote as that's irrelevant and inconclusive, at best. You vote or you don't.

I will concede that the fact it was deemed as illegal could have changed the outcome so it's not a normal voting situation. 

I agree their has been a massive feck up by the Spanish authorities. 

Edited by faraway saint

Guest TPAFKATS

The Spanish Government could've ignored the event yesterday and then not recognised the outcome.

It would've been much better than sending in a paramilitary police force to beat up grannies.

The official response from UK gov was simpering and shameful.

The Spanish Government could've ignored the event yesterday and then not recognised the outcome.

It would've been much better than sending in a paramilitary police force to beat up grannies.

The official response from UK gov was simpering and shameful.

The Spanish Government didn't send the police in.
That was a court order.

3 hours ago, TediousTom said:

Barcelona FC are worthy of a mention, what terrific conduct and although a big club it is fair to say that they are indeed a community club.  Magnificent from them.  Did anyone note the conduct of La Liga in forcing them play yesterday?  Or the attempt by Las Palmas to heighten tensions by adding the Spanish flag to the Las Palmas strip for that one game?  The Spanish FA and the Scottish FA appear to have much in common.  

I'm proud of Barca stance but they should have refused to play and taken the 6 point penalty...........then went on to win the League.

1 hour ago, BuddieinEK said:

The Spanish Government didn't send the police in.
That was a court order.

It was a court order that the referendum was unconstitutional, not that the civil guard should stamp on people and break their fingers. That level of brutality was exhibited at the behest of the Prime Minister.

Edited by Drew

7 hours ago, Drew said:

Indeed, Spain still has the hangover obviously from the days when it was a police state , the Guarda Civil should have been disbanded years ago as they have a reputation dating back to the Franco era .  It looks like there are still some wounds still going back to not just the Franco era but even the Republicanism of the civil war . .most Spaniards still know which side their families fought with during the Civil War . The whole episode is very sad . .