Catalonia

Guest TPAFKATS

To quote Nigel Farage:

"I've called the EU undemocratic, I've called it anti-democratic but never ever, in my fiercest criticisms here did I think we would see the police of a Member State of the Union injuring 900 people in an attempt to stop them from going out to vote!

"And what do we get from Mr Juncker today? Not a dicky bird! It is quite extraordinary to realise that this Union is prepared to turn a blind eye!"

Some boy. Thank goodness we are leaving the EU.

5 hours ago, TopCat said:

To quote Nigel Farage:

"I've called the EU undemocratic, I've called it anti-democratic but never ever, in my fiercest criticisms here did I think we would see the police of a Member State of the Union injuring 900 people in an attempt to stop them from going out to vote!

"And what do we get from Mr Juncker today? Not a dicky bird! It is quite extraordinary to realise that this Union is prepared to turn a blind eye!"

Some boy. Thank goodness we are leaving the EU.

They didn't rush to stop the years of slaughter in the UK (NI) but don't remember too much outcry about that either at the time or since !

21 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

They didn't rush to stop the years of slaughter in the UK (NI) but don't remember too much outcry about that either at the time or since !

Were we (UK) in the EU at the time of the NI troubles? 

Just checked, UK joined in 1973 so, yes, the troubles did overlap us joining.

Was only asking as I didn't think we'd joined till quite a bit later than 73. 

Edited by faraway saint

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:55 PM, TPAFKATS said:

The Spanish Government could've ignored the event yesterday and then not recognised the outcome.

It would've been much better than sending in a paramilitary police force to beat up grannies.

The official response from UK gov was simpering and shameful.

You've got to wonder how much the UK Government are terrified about something similar happen in UK. Less so up here, but more in Northern Ireland as Brexit talks don't progress and prospect of no customs deals.

If Sinn Fein called for a united Ireland referendum in the North and pressed ahead with it unofficially I can only imagine the chaos and that we'd swing back to dark old days with soldiers actively on ground with both sides overstepping the mark and it escalating very quickly

The EU is essentially pointless. It's an exercise in red tape and bureaucracy that thinks and does nothing apart from transfer money from richer European states to poorer ones.

Leaving was an excellent decision by the British people. Those scenes in Catalonia were nothing short of a disgrace.

On 06/10/2017 at 3:04 PM, TopCat said:

The EU is essentially pointless. It's an exercise in red tape and bureaucracy that thinks and does nothing apart from transfer money from richer European states to poorer ones.

Leaving was an excellent decision by the British people. Those scenes in Catalonia were nothing short of a disgrace.

Indeed the scenes last week were an utter disgrace but they were hee haw to do with the EU and 100% to do with the Spanish government. I don't see the link / relevance you are attempting to make. The EU has no role to play in Catalonia wanting to separate from Spain nor should they.

Just now, Ayrshire Saints said:

Indeed the scenes last week were an utter disgrace but they were hee haw to do with the EU and 100% to do with the Spanish government. I don't see the link / relevance you are attempting to make. The EU has no role to play in Catalonia wanting to separate from Spain nor should they.

The EU authorities should have condemned the outrageous conduct of a member state, but otherwise I agree.

No one has mentioned there has been an apology from the Spanish government about the over reaction from the police last week?
Wonder why? 
Doesn't make last weeks disgrace go away but shows some response to the actions. 

I hadn't heard it...was it a bit like the small apologies that the Sun put hidden on page 36 of their rag after ruining someone's reputation the week earlier?

9 hours ago, faraway saint said:

No one has mentioned there has been an apology from the Spanish government about the over reaction from the police last week?

Wonder why? 

Doesn't make last weeks disgrace go away but shows some response to the actions. 

Yeah but unfortunately rather than blaming the police, they blamed the independence movement.

In the civilised world we call that victim blaming.

Victims of violence and abuse across the world will recognise this tactic immediately.

It was a fake apology.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Yeah but unfortunately rather than blaming the police, they blamed the independence movement.

In the civilised world we call that victim blaming.

Victims of violence and abuse across the world will recognise this tactic immediately.

It was a fake apology.

Can't find any reference/blame towards the independence movement? :blink:

Whilst Spanish government’s top representative in Catalonia, Enric Millo, has today offered the first official apology to the hundreds of would-be voters injured in the police charges during Sunday’s banned pro-independence referendum, such gestures of goodwill are doing little to stem the ongoing political turmoil in Spain’s richest region, as well as some economic setbacks.

I do agree it's possibly a hollow apology, I can't say, like you, categorically, it's fake. 

Can't find any reference/blame towards the independence movement? :blink:
Whilst Spanish government’s top representative in Catalonia, Enric Millo, has today offered the first official apology to the hundreds of would-be voters injured in the police charges during Sunday’s banned pro-independence referendum, such gestures of goodwill are doing little to stem the ongoing political turmoil in Spain’s richest region, as well as some economic setbacks.
I do agree it's possibly a hollow apology, I can't say, like you, categorically, it's fake. 

First paragraph in the first thing I found when I googled, faraway:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/06/catalan-government-press-ahead-referendum-debate

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Cheers, completely missed it.

Apologies to Oaky, he wasn't making stuff up.....................for a change. :rolleyes:

Of course you completely missed it. Your inability to do the most basic research for yourself is outdone only by Stuart Dickson. :blink:

I have yet to work out whether it is laziness or incompetence on your part.

Guest TPAFKATS

I didn't notice the 'apology' from the Spanish Government representative. I think I must've missed it amongst the images of Spanish military mobilising and heading towards Catalonia.

Or mibees the Spanish fascists who were bussed in to have a protest

I didn't notice the 'apology' from the Spanish Government representative. I think I must've missed it amongst the images of Spanish military mobilising and heading towards Catalonia.

Or mibees the Spanish fascists who were bussed in to have a protest

Careful, oaky will be along in a minute accusing you of StuD-like inabilities...

:)

16 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

Careful, oaky will be along in a minute accusing you of StuD-like inabilities...

:)

I doubt it. I generally don't employ the same weapon twice.

I don't need to. There's plenty of other types of vinegar in my locker.

Besides, there are more worthy adversaries out there than TPAK thingy. Why waste my time chomping on the chaff when the field is full of wheat?

That would be an example of the type of vinegar I am talking about.

Edited by oaksoft

Guest TPAFKATS
I doubt it. I generally don't employ the same weapon twice.
I don't need to. There's plenty of other types of vinegar in my locker.
Besides, there are more worthy adversaries out there than TPAK thingy. Why waste my time chomping on the chaff when the field is full of wheat?
That would be an example of the type of vinegar I am talking about.

Hiya hon [emoji112] [emoji112]