Defend Better and inprove away form

13 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

It did the last game of the season i was at in Inverness, and then catastrophically the following season.

its great scoring goals, its even better when you know how to manage a game and dont conceded any! If our luck holds and we simply 'outscore' every other team till the end of the season then great. But back on planet earth one look at the results each week (we beat Dun Utd, Dunf beat us, Utd beat Dunf) shows just about every team in the league can beat any other, and they do.

if we lose two on the bounce before Xmas the knickers on here will be dripping, whereas I can see that possibility, and the possibility of coming back from it. I can take the rough with the smooth without fleeing from one extreme to another. If we stop conceding we will open up a points gap that will make other teams think its not worth putting everything into catching us, but instead inflicting as much damage on those around them. Thats how Fergie got us promoted, and maintained our top flight status. And he did a wee bit better than Hendrie.

That game at Inverness was undoubtedly a bit unprofessional but I doubt it had much impact on the following season. An uncompetitive budget and Dundee Utd. buying a new team midway through the season had much more to do with it. I remember we were the only SPL club to break even that season. B) 

This season I feel it's going to be a tight division and go pretty much to the end - like you say outside of Brechin I feel every team can beat any other team on their day. Your prediction of wet knickers should we lose two games in a row is undoubtedly true and no doubt yours will be wettest of all. Back on Planet Earth we're top of the division again with no more problems than our competitors!

Image result for duran duran planet earth

42 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

It did the last game of the season i was at in Inverness, and then catastrophically the following season.

its great scoring goals, its even better when you know how to manage a game and dont conceded any! If our luck holds and we simply 'outscore' every other team till the end of the season then great. But back on planet earth one look at the results each week (we beat Dun Utd, Dunf beat us, Utd beat Dunf) shows just about every team in the league can beat any other, and they do.

if we lose two on the bounce before Xmas the knickers on here will be dripping, whereas I can see that possibility, and the possibility of coming back from it. I can take the rough with the smooth without fleeing from one extreme to another. If we stop conceding we will open up a points gap that will make other teams think its not worth putting everything into catching us, but instead inflicting as much damage on those around them. Thats how Fergie got us promoted, and maintained our top flight status. And he did a wee bit better than Hendrie.

For a start LPM we were already promoted so that result was immaterial

This isn't about luck, as in another thread showed we had 4 points after  8 games last year then went on to lose our next 6...................  its about recruitment, players management, tactics and overall a feel good factor.

Jack inherited a corpse and has converted it into Frankenstein ..............

If we lose two on the bounce our management team will work 24/7 to find an answer, not blame the old BOD, the new BOD, the fans or the weather..............................

And Fergie and Tom Hendrie both got us promoted and our therefore worthy Legends- Jack is well on his way but he needs this and really wants this, and the guy  who refused to let us be relegated , is  now delivering on promise 2....................... Promotion

As Jack says, there will be bumps , and as we are Saints fans , it simply wont be straight forward.............. I am sure we all know this

Edited by DougJamie

18 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

What if.... as a result of tightening up at the back, we lose some of our forward drive and score fewer goals?

JR will do a Fergie . In November 76 Alec wasn't happy with us defensively , we had just lost 3 goals to East Fife at Bayview , so he brought in Big Jack ,the catalyst for promotion. Harry should be back in the team soon , with hopefully the same effect as Jack !

Guest TPAFKATS
I was also at the Inverness game and I'm pretty sure some of our players had as much alcohol in their systems as I did that day .

Losing at Inverness on the last day of the season having won the league the week before is all the proof required that the bubble burst [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

JR will do a Fergie . In November 76 Alec wasn't happy with us defensively , we had just lost 3 goals to East Fife at Bayview , so he brought in Big Jack ,the catalyst for promotion. Harry should be back in the team soon , with hopefully the same effect as Jack !

Indeed.

In other words... Jack has already identified our weaknesses and looked at ways to strengthen them.

Wonder if he got the idea from the forum? [emoji6]

6 hours ago, DougJamie said:

For a start LPM we were already promoted so that result was immaterial

This isn't about luck, as in another thread showed we had 4 points after  8 games last year then went on to lose our next 6...................  its about recruitment, players management, tactics and overall a feel good factor.

Jack inherited a corpse and has converted it into Frankenstein ..............

If we lose two on the bounce our management team will work 24/7 to find an answer, not blame the old BOD, the new BOD, the fans or the weather..............................

And Fergie and Tom Hendrie both got us promoted and our therefore worthy Legends- Jack is well on his way but he needs this and really wants this, and the guy  who refused to let us be relegated , is  now delivering on promise 2....................... Promotion

As Jack says, there will be bumps , and as we are Saints fans , it simply wont be straight forward.............. I am sure we all know this

Love the expression - Hope we become very scary for every opposition that are playing us....

On 10/3/2017 at 2:19 PM, DougJamie said:

Considering our HOME form has put us in serious trouble over the last 3 seasons, and secretly we wanted to move back to Love Street, I am delighted to be top of a league for the first time in 11 years, have the best run of form for 40 years , have several players producing their best ever football, have one of the best young managers in the country and a growing fan base........................

I am sure Jack and co are way ahead of this pointless thread and it will hardly be a light going off by the fact they have lost 2 away games, we played poorly both matches....

A year ago, we would not have beaten Brechin , we would not have come back against Falkirk, we would have been defending our our 6 yard line after going 1 up to United and we certainly would never have gone goal crazy against Caley........................  

As said above ...... one stat matters , we end up with most points end of season. Confident with actually having regular defenders in our team we will improve here to......

I must have imagined Tom Walsh's 87th minute equaliser against Falkirk on 1st October 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

2 nd quarter target - what points will we accrue ?

There are various ways we can look at this but if our 2nd quarter points target is as ambitious as our 1st quarter was, then we have a real battle to achieve it this time too.

(a) We dropped 6 points in the 1st quarter and already we have dropped 4 - so if we draw 1 more game at worst we can still have as good a 2nd quarter.

(b) We took 1 point from Ton instead of none last quarter and 1 point from Falkirk when we took 3 previously - so we have 2 points instead of 3 last time.

(c) We have guys coming back into the squad that were not so available in the 1st quarter. We will be stronger as they become match fit.

You can perhaps think of other ways to look at it.. but we need to defend better and be even more ruthless.. refereeing errors apart for they are part of the reality too.

I think we should have taken all 3 points yesterday, I suspect J, J and the Boys know that they could have.. may they get constructively angry and take it out with many champion typical victories and a determination to take 3 points at every opportunity.

Believe and deliver and look at the support.. we are fully behind you all

• 2 weeks later...

Given the break - are we likely to see a fuller squad available soon? Any updates?

Are we playing any bounce games to help match fitness and strategy... This quarter has not started too well.. no panic but we need to win, win and win more often again to remain at the top..

Given the break - are we likely to see a fuller squad available soon? Any updates?

Are we playing any bounce games to help match fitness and strategy... This quarter has not started too well.. no panic but we need to win, win and win more often again to remain at the top..

Heard talk at the 20’s game on Tuesday that we have a closed doors game against Celtic today. Don’t know if true or not.

20 hours ago, Langbank said:

Heard talk at the 20’s game on Tuesday that we have a closed doors game against Celtic today. Don’t know if true or not.

Ta - makes sense to keep the legs moving against opposition of some sort or another.. and there are things to work on and guys who need match time

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:57 PM, Langbank said:

Club decided against playing Davies v Ross County, but there was a bounce game yesterday according to the PDE.

McKenzie has started running on the treadmill again with no reaction . JR hopes he'll start training on grass next week at some point.