Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Sweeper07

Defend Better and inprove away form

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

We were torn a new one at Dunfermline, with NO attempts on target. Against ICT we were cut open on numerous occasions. Both games where the manager needed to strengthen the defence, but he chose to weaken it. Naive tactics.

in three months when were at the halfway stage and if we have done as well with two, or less defeats, and still top with a gap you can say i overreacted. If we start drawing/losing because of the weak defence then you can say (although everyone will likely develop amnesia, or blame it on talking down the team) maybe he had a point back then..?

Cant agree with ICT the result confirms that. Dunfermline & Morton stick by what i wrote bad day at the office. Has been wrote many times we have key players to comeback they will make us stronger = a better squad. Take a coffee and a Cadbury Caramel chill out and dream of the party in Paisley when we become champions see if the Dunfermline, morton game and no doubt a few others along the way bother you then :D

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Morton and Partick Thistle games for us were really bad (Though they were pretty early on) - Dunfermline beat us comfortably and QOS had more shots and more shots on target than us - on another day it could easily have been different - we scored 3 goals out of 4 shots on goal. We were not so great against Brechin or fully convincing against ICT but we did get all the points and that IS what matters..

Let's attack and score more than the opposition - Great, but we also need to work harder as a team to shut down the opposition too - both is a very real option..

Teams who win Leagues are often amongst the best in all areas,  Goals Scored and least goals conceded.

We won't win every game, but if we don't improve,  the luck might go against us a bit and the D's could easily pass us ..

PS we were fabulous against Utd.. and it is a great time to be a Saints fan

Edited by Sweeper07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

We were torn a new one at Dunfermline, with NO attempts on target. Against ICT we were cut open on numerous occasions. Both games where the manager needed to strengthen the defence, but he chose to weaken it. Naive tactics.

in three months when were at the halfway stage and if we have done as well with two, or less defeats, and still top with a gap you can say i overreacted. If we start drawing/losing because of the weak defence then you can say (although everyone will likely develop amnesia, or blame it on talking down the team) maybe he had a point back then..?

If we are still top you will still be scrabbling about trying to put some blame on the manager.

As has been said, we're not perfect but your weekly negative, and utterly hilarious, posts are way beyond tedious.

I wasn't enthralled when we appointed Ross, his early games, which many were prepared to write off, showed next to nothing in improving the previous managers points. (Yeah, I know, it wasn't his team and all that shit but that's been covered to death, he was still the man in charge)

However, Ross performed nothing short of a miracle in saving us from relegation as I had pointed put it's rare to escape from our position at Christmas and for that he has to take great credit.

Our start to the season, and yes, we have looked weak at times in defence but you focus on this and seem to have this amnesia about the other aspects of our game, has been, IMO, well above what could have been expected before the season.

All teams have strengths and weakness's which vary throughout the season due to injuries and suspensions.

This league is notorious to get out of, plenty teams have struggled for years to get back to the top league.

At this point in time we are certainly one of the favourites for automatic promotion, and I'd be surprised if we don't end up in a play off place.

I don't agree Ross is bulletproof but looking at the overall picture he's doing a pretty damn good job. 

 

Edited by faraway saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Considering our HOME form has put us in serious trouble over the last 3 seasons, and secretly we wanted to move back to Love Street, I am delighted to be top of a league for the first time in 11 years, have the best run of form for 40 years , have several players producing their best ever football, have one of the best young managers in the country and a growing fan base........................

I am sure Jack and co are way ahead of this pointless thread and it will hardly be a light going off by the fact they have lost 2 away games, we played poorly both matches....

A year ago, we would not have beaten Brechin , we would not have come back against Falkirk, we would have been defending our our 6 yard line after going 1 up to United and we certainly would never have gone goal crazy against Caley........................  

As said above ...... one stat matters , we end up with most points end of season. Confident with actually having regular defenders in our team we will improve here to......

Never a secret for many,  but reality tells you it was never going to happen. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

The OP has a very valid point. Ross still seems to not be able to tactically close a game down when we are either in front, or under severe pressure. Against ICT he left Irvine out with a weakened defence and we were cut open, at Dunfermline again, under pressure and two down, instead of stopping the blood loss, and giving the team a breather he pulled Stelios, but did not strengthen a very vulnerable defence.

same story against QoS and apparently again against Brechin. If you play the likes of Irvine in front of the back four, you stand a good chance of bossing the game, and allowing the terriers up front to run riot as they get more and more recycled ball from opposition breakdowns. McShane is largely anonymous in games, Irvine always puts himself on the line.

You really do talk some shite at times.

Irvine played the whole game against ICT & we actually increased our lead to kill off the game in the last quarter.  We were so badly "cut open" that they managed only three shots on target. Do you enjoy making things up ?

ETA < Just checked the beeb stats....in the last 20 minutes  ICT had two wayward shots and NIL on target .... The f**kin Alamo right enough!! 

In case you hadnt noticed against Queens & Brechin we won, that to me says we managed to close a game out ok ?  Last season we could have drawn or lost both of these games easily.

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You really do talk some shite at times.
Irvine played the whole game against ICT & we actually increased our lead to kill off the game in the last quarter.  We were so badly "cut open" that they managed only three shots on target. Do you enjoy making things up ?
ETA In case you hadnt noticed against Queens & Brechin we won, that to me says we managed to close a game out ok ?  Last season we could have drawn or lost both of these games easily.


That's not fair, you checked actual facts instead of just making it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Soctty said:

When will we start to get it right...

Screenshot_20171003-152624-01.jpeg

It took me a moment or two to realise how we could have this league table - but it is helpful. I think in more recent times as J & J have unloaded other players over the summer and brought in more of theirs, that it might be and become even more convincing..

If we can go through this League season with only 4 defeats, and 5 draws we will win the League I suspect. (though the season is more than 22 games) 

We have a really good squad, which has been tested by injuries;  and we have management like we have not had for many years.. just want us to truly capitalise this season and be well grounded to be safely secure in the top division once again.. then we can have even higher dreams and even better football perhaps..

Though we are not pummelling the likes of Brechin yet, younger squad guys are getting game time , and that may well prove to make the difference at the sharp end when other teams have their injuries. (By then we might have more players fit but if not or due to suspensions etc.. we will have guys who are up to the task!!)

Edited by Sweeper07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We were torn a new one at Dunfermline, with NO attempts on target. Against ICT we were cut open on numerous occasions. Both games where the manager needed to strengthen the defence, but he chose to weaken it. Naive tactics.

in three months when were at the halfway stage and if we have done as well with two, or less defeats, and still top with a gap you can say i overreacted. If we start drawing/losing because of the weak defence then you can say (although everyone will likely develop amnesia, or blame it on talking down the team) maybe he had a point back then..?

Against dung the manager changed the formation at half time as we were two nil down. He brought on a striker to replace a wing back and went four at the back.

 

You're moaning for the sake of it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Jack would not disagree about strengthen the squad but our budget might though i have no idea if extra money is available. Its not going to be easy to win the league consistency is the key to success this season fingers crossed. 

Bear in mind Jack, James and the directors have managed to trade really well during the past two transfer windows - each one has made us better, even with the loss of Mallan and one or two others.

It looks like we could lose Morgan at some point too - though I think he would be bonkers to go to a big club and not play every week - Mallan is the obvious case in point. Morgan should stay as a big star with us for at least one season in the Premiership where he would continue to improve and it would make him far more ready for the next step.. Come on Morgan, sign a one year extension and it will take the worry off your mind!!!!

Really looking forward to the injured players returning to full strength too...delighted there is a break to take the pressure off and let everyone see who is at the top of the league!!

Edited by Sweeper07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no doubt that the writing was on the wall for the Dunfermline defeat the week before v ICT. It was mentioned by several people on here that we got out of jail during the early part of the 2nd half v Inverness when hey had 6 clear cut chances with our defence all at sea. Lessons weren't learned and we got our just desserts at East End Park. JR has got us all back looking forward to every game for the first time in years , but we must improve defensively or we will not be in the running for winning the title !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's little doubt that to win the division we will need to defend better but there's also little doubt, in my mind anyway, that when Davis, MacKenzie and Magennis are fit again then we'll be a much better side both offensively and defensively.

We've ridden our luck a wee bit so far this season but to be sitting top of the pile despite a fairly horrendous run of injuries is great testament to the management and the players.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billyg said:

There is no doubt that the writing was on the wall for the Dunfermline defeat the week before v ICT. It was mentioned by several people on here that we got out of jail during the early part of the 2nd half v Inverness when hey had 6 clear cut chances with our defence all at sea. Lessons weren't learned and we got our just desserts at East End Park. JR has got us all back looking forward to every game for the first time in years , but we must improve defensively or we will not be in the running for winning the title !

Not many doubt we're not as strong defensively as we need to be but as posted below, we have been playing with a few key players short, it's not always the defence as the midfield have to carry some of the weight as well. We're due some of the guys named below back soon'ish and remember, the January window isn't that far away.

47 minutes ago, div said:

There's little doubt that to win the division we will need to defend better but there's also little doubt, in my mind anyway, that when Davis, MacKenzie and Magennis are fit again then we'll be a much better side both offensively and defensively.

We've ridden our luck a wee bit so far this season but to be sitting top of the pile despite a fairly horrendous run of injuries is great testament to the management and the players.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think if we can solidify defensively we will return to a more attacking midfield. Seems Todd might have been the answer right mid letting Magennis play in the middle middle. Would expect us to bring in a couple of players in the window if we can. A striker and a midfielder that can get forward. With potentially Kirkpatrick and either Duffy or Sutton going out on loan.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

It took me a moment or two to realise how we could have this league table - but it is helpful. I think in more recent times as J & J have unloaded other players over the summer and brought in more of theirs, that it might be and become even more convincing..

If we can go through this League season with only 4 defeats, and 5 draws we will win the League I suspect. (though the season is more than 22 games) 

We have a really good squad, which has been tested by injuries;  and we have management like we have not had for many years.. just want us to truly capitalise this season and be well grounded to be safely secure in the top division once again.. then we can have even higher dreams and even better football perhaps..

Though we are not pummelling the likes of Brechin yet, younger squad guys are getting game time , and that may well prove to make the difference at the sharp end when other teams have their injuries. (By then we might have more players fit but if not or due to suspensions etc.. we will have guys who are up to the task!!)

27 wins, 5 draws and 4 defeats that's 86 points. I " suspect" whoever wins this division this season will not be within 8-10 points of that total.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There is no doubt that the writing was on the wall for the Dunfermline defeat the week before v ICT. It was mentioned by several people on here that we got out of jail during the early part of the 2nd half v Inverness when hey had 6 clear cut chances with our defence all at sea. Lessons weren't learned and we got our just desserts at East End Park. JR has got us all back looking forward to every game for the first time in years , but we must improve defensively or we will not be in the running for winning the title !


What if we don't improve defensively, but continue to win 6 out of 8 by scoring more than we concede?

How do you think we will finish should that be the case?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


What if we don't improve defensively, but continue to win 6 out of 8 by scoring more than we concede?

How do you think we will finish should that be the case?


To win a league over 36 games there will be occasions where the team that wins the league has to grind out 1-0 wins against good teams . We did it in 77, 2000 and 2006. Right now I don't see us having the physical or mental strength in the team to do it when the chips are down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, billyg said:

 


To win a league over 36 games there will be occasions where the team that wins the league has to grind out 1-0 wins against good teams . We did it in 77, 2000 and 2006. Right now I don't see us having the physical or mental strength in the team to do it when the chips are down.

 

If i was a gambler Billy i would have stuck a wad on Dunfermline after we played them. Then Dundee United go and beat Dunfermline well. Think it will be twists and turns all season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


To win a league over 36 games there will be occasions where the team that wins the league has to grind out 1-0 wins against good teams . We did it in 77, 2000 and 2006. Right now I don't see us having the physical or mental strength in the team to do it when the chips are down.


Probably yes... But you didn't answer my question...

If the defence doesn't improve but we maintain our current record of outcomes till the end of the season by scoring more than we concede in every 6 out of 8, how will we fare?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Probably yes... But you didn't answer my question...

If the defence doesn't improve but we maintain our current record of outcomes till the end of the season by scoring more than we concede in every 6 out of 8, how will we fare?



We would win the league . Just like QOS would have done last season when they had an almost identical start to ours this season . As I said , it's over 36 games , not 8 .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The team that makes the least mistakes wins the league..!

we are scoring plenty of goals, but making a lot of mistakes (see our goal,diff) if we eliminate some of those mistakes, we strengthen our position, create a gap at the top, and get the other playoff contenders fighting it out with each other.

if we continue to concede as many goals our luck will turn, that is proven by QoS last season and countless others whose bottle went.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have far more quality than QoS last season, and we are top of the league despite having 3 of our most important players out for most of the season.

Let's just look towards the Dumbarton game. End that particular hoodoo and things will look rosy after the first quarter, with key players back soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

The team that makes the least mistakes wins the league..!

we are scoring plenty of goals, but making a lot of mistakes (see our goal,diff) if we eliminate some of those mistakes, we strengthen our position, create a gap at the top, and get the other playoff contenders fighting it out with each other.

if we continue to concede as many goals our luck will turn, that is proven by QoS last season and countless others whose bottle went.

Yeah, look at our goal difference, the 2nd best in the league. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The team that makes the least mistakes wins the league..!
we are scoring plenty of goals, but making a lot of mistakes (see our goal,diff) if we eliminate some of those mistakes, we strengthen our position, create a gap at the top, and get the other playoff contenders fighting it out with each other.
if we continue to concede as many goals our luck will turn, that is proven by QoS last season and countless others whose bottle went.


Tom Hendries side focussed on simply scoring more than they conceded and a very strange thing happened... They rode their luck all the way to the title when the bubble didnae burst!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×