Morton v St Mirren 2/1/18 LIVE ON BBC ALBA

shull

Morgan for all his talent needs to appreciate  it’s a team game. If he was a bit more unselfish we could have been out of sight. We totally surrendered the midfield in the second half. Thought we lost something when Mullen went off as he gives us a bit of dig. A point away in a derby is in itself not a bad result but if we had maintained our first half showing we would have won comfortably 

3 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Still top of the division. :clapping

Cliché time - game of two halves.

Other way round & I'd have been claiming for a penalty on 90 mins when McGinn pushed a 'Ton player over in the box!

I think we had a very good penalty when Mullen was pulled to the ground by the neck just before our goal. .

l would have sent off Tierney for body checking Stelios into the hoardings for no reason. . :P

We ran out of steam. Not surprisingly, given a very competitive game on a heavy pitch on Friday.

They improved after Harkins went off. More direct, and incisive.

Much as it feels like points dropped, on balance it was a fair outcome and they looked more likely in the last ten minutes.

I'm not going to be critical of Morgan for taking a punt from time to time when there were arguably better options available. Much better a player with that level of confidence than being tentative or hesitant. Yes, his decision making needs to improve, but that will come with experience.

Decent for 30 mins and poor for most of the other 60. As said, as fit a team that we are, the extra game we have played compared to them did catch up on us and we can have no complaint about the final score. Just annoyed why nobody was on the post for the corner.

The reverse of Friday evening's performance - ie. good in the first half fell away in the second.

I am not sure that it was down to tiredness on the players' part - more that Morton were fired up to get back into the match, whereas we tended to sit back just like we did in the first half on Friday.

A fair result in the end  and the extra rest days advantage they had over us definitely showed. I was interested to see blue rope netting cordoning off the bottom two rows of our end yet none in the rest of the ground... what a shitty fleapit. We're not all pitch invaders yet they treat us as if we are.  Not too concerned about the fixtures in the coming weeks i think once the legs are rested we can pick up more points than United in the rest of January.

Draw was just about fair result but if we had went into the second half with a 2 goal lead like we probably deserved then who knows. 

Thought Magennis had a brilliant first half, back to his best. Wasn’t nearly as good in the second half, struggled to understand why he switched wings. 

Mullen was terrific in the first half, linked up really well with Cammy Smith and looks like he will be a great signing. 

Big Bairdy has been solid in recent weeks and had a great game except the one costly error. Got caught out for the goal, misjudged the flight of the ball and couldn’t recover. 

7 points from 9 is a decent return for the festive period. 

Edited by davidg

3 hours ago, saint in exile said:

Baird was covering Quitongo.  Don't know who was meant to have the other guy.

Just watched it back on tv, it was definitely Baird who lost his man. 

Morton player makes a run from back post towards near then checks back behind. Baird continues to move towards the ball and misjudged the flight. He lost his guy by some distance, so much so that it didn’t look like it was his man. 

Big man has been brilliant recently but this was a costly error. 

3 minutes ago, Buffs said:

Wonder if Morton will get into bother after Stelios got smacked on the head with a plastic bottle thrown from the unwashed.

Have you not seen the footage? 

It was a bounty that hit him on the back, he then opened it and ate half of it :lol

Edited by davidg

Just now, Buffs said:

Wonder if Morton will get into bother after Stelios got smacked on the head with a plastic bottle thrown from the unwashed.

I don't think it was a plastic bottle, probably a chocolate bar or a biscuit.

Stelios picked up the missile, opened the wrapper, and started eating the contents.

Excellent response from Stelios.

3 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

The reverse of Friday evening's performance - ie. good in the first half fell away in the second.

I am not sure that it was down to tiredness on the players' part - more that Morton were fired up to get back into the match, whereas we tended to sit back just like we did in the first half on Friday.

Indeed , we should have buried them in the first half , so they couldn't mount a viable comeback. .

Basic bad defending for their goal you just have to have two players on each post at the corner if so chances are the ball would have been cleared.Yes Jack states fatigue sent in in the final quarter but for heavens sake why not use all your subs I would have gone with 3-5-2 in the second with McKenzie coming on for his aerial strength as they continued float in crosses we may well have kept a clean sheet if we had done so however all in all five points from the last two is not bad.

Just now, Mid Calder Saint said:

Basic bad defending for their goal you just have to have two players on each post at the corner if so chances are the ball would have been cleared.Yes Jack states fatigue sent in in the final quarter but for heavens sake why not use all your subs I would have gone with 3-5-2 in the second with McKenzie coming on for his aerial strength as they continued float in crosses we may well have kept a clean sheet if we had done so however all in all five points from the last two is not bad.

I don't believe it's as straight forward as that.

If you stick 2 guys on the posts then you are 2 short in the box.

It's all swings and roundabouts IMO, the real error was Baird lost the flight of the ball and his man.

As usual the defenders or goalie get it in the neck as an error can result in a goal against us, other outfield positions make errors all over the park but don't usually cost us a goal.

That's fitba. 

Im pretty sure we can forgive who was responsible for their goal

I would guess that the players will be disappointed with their second half 

Tough Tough few run of games we have had and a few more to come....only 4 days recovery till we meet ICT at home

I hope JR/JF have got some good signings/loans lined up as we really struggle to replace anyone who gets injured from midfield

Imagine no McGinn or Magennis

Defence is solid

Attack has options

but midfield for me we could struggle if we had a few injuries/suspensions 

NOTE TO PLAYERS .... just get 3 days sleep and beat ICT 5-0 on the 4th day 

3 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

We played games on the 23rd and 29th when Morton didn't... 3 games in 10 days versus 1 in 10 for them... heavy pitch on Friday and this afternoon as well.

4 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

We played games on the 23rd and 29th when Morton didn't... 3 games in 10 days versus 1 in 10 for them... heavy pitch on Friday and this afternoon as well.

Their lack of games was mentioned as a reason for their slow start, we started much better.

Again, swings and roundabouts with the games played and lack of IMO. 

Suppose, as many have said, a draw was just about fair for both teams. 

Draw a fair result, but unfortunately think it's 2 points dropped. In control first half, but thought they should've got a penalty for the challenge the boy got booked for diving. We were bossing it, but a few nervy Ton hits on the break.
Morgan took his goal brilliantly, but could've worked harder off the ball. His celebration in front of the shed was entertaining, but thought he might have got booked for it. Mullen worked hard and was really unlucky when he hit the post. Looks like a good addition.
Think we tired badly in the second and they were well up for it. Harkins could have easily seen red for his challenge on Baird. Their pen shout when McGinn stumbled was a complete dive. No contact that I could see.
The Bounty incident with Stelios had his name written all over it. Brilliant reaction.
Thought we were going to nick it at the end. McGinn's ball to the back post was pass of the game and should've won us the game, but think it was Magennis that should've scored before it nearly fell to Reilly.
The happiest team at the end of our game today will have been the Arabs.

Watching St Mirren today on TV and I am so glad I did not pay money to go to the game. 

St Mirren were ok first half and I would say only ok. The second half was awful. This is where i think st Mirren will at best be in the play off for promotion and not win the league.

You cannot continually play well for only bits of games. Also they need to stop relying on Morgan. I think other teams have gotten wise to his style of play and the running by players for a whole game is not working now. I am not saying he is not an immense player for us and that he is not a gifted player but like Vardy 2 years ago other teams have studied him as a player and he does not get the reign he did have at the start of the season.

Jack Baird deserves credit for his defending today.  Made some game changing challenges today to earn us a draw. I love St Mirren but in my opinion we were lucky to get a draw.

We play again on Saturday at home and i will be expecting the team to be firing on all cylinders from the off.