Morton v St Mirren 2/1/18 LIVE ON BBC ALBA

shull

Watching St Mirren today on TV and I am so glad I did not pay money to go to the game. 
St Mirren were ok first half and I would say only ok. The second half was awful. This is where i think st Mirren will at best be in the play off for promotion and not win the league.
You cannot continually play well for only bits of games. Also they need to stop relying on Morgan. I think other teams have gotten wise to his style of play and the running by players for a whole game is not working now. I am not saying he is not an immense player for us and that he is not a gifted player but like Vardy 2 years ago other teams have studied him as a player and he does not get the reign he did have at the start of the season.
Jack Baird deserves credit for his defending today.  Made some game changing challenges today to earn us a draw. I love St Mirren but in my opinion we were lucky to get a draw.
We play again on Saturday at home and i will be expecting the team to be firing on all cylinders from the off.

I suppose it would it be daft to point out we are 15 points clear of 5th and Morgan has scored three goals in the past game and a half.

Guest TPAFKATS
Draw was just about fair result but if we had went into the second half with a 2 goal lead like we probably deserved then who knows. 
Thought Magennis had a brilliant first half, back to his best. Wasn’t nearly as good in the second half, struggled to understand why he switched wings. 
Mullen was terrific in the first half, linked up really well with Cammy Smith and looks like he will be a great signing. 
Big Bairdy has been solid in recent weeks and had a great game except the one costly error. Got caught out for the goal, misjudged the flight of the ball and couldn’t recover. 
7 points from 9 is a decent return for the festive period. 
Baird wouldve been my man of the match esp after the goal saving tackle that led to the corner...

Guest TPAFKATS
Draw was just about fair result but if we had went into the second half with a 2 goal lead like we probably deserved then who knows. 
Thought Magennis had a brilliant first half, back to his best. Wasn’t nearly as good in the second half, struggled to understand why he switched wings. 
Mullen was terrific in the first half, linked up really well with Cammy Smith and looks like he will be a great signing. 
Big Bairdy has been solid in recent weeks and had a great game except the one costly error. Got caught out for the goal, misjudged the flight of the ball and couldn’t recover. 
Baird wouldve been my man of the match esp after the goal saving tackle that led to the corner...

Guest TPAFKATS

After the euphoria of Friday - the sense of anti-climax of Tuesday. That's football I suppose.

However, it was obvious that the players gave 100% today, especially in the first half, but for whatever reason were not firing on all cylinders in the second half.  All credit to Morton for making a game of it.

Our players, with the addition hopefully of a couple of others during the transfer window, will ensure that we are there or there abouts come the dividing of the spoils at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, fan4ever said:

Watching St Mirren today on TV and I am so glad I did not pay money to go to the game.   you pays your money and takes your chances

St Mirren were ok first half and I would say only ok. The second half was awful. This is where i think st Mirren will at best be in the play off for promotion and not win the league.  Saints DOMINATED the first half 

You cannot continually play well for only bits of games. Also they need to stop relying on Morgan. I think other teams have gotten wise to his style of play and the running by players for a whole game is not working now. I am not saying he is not an immense player for us and that he is not a gifted player but like Vardy 2 years ago other teams have studied him as a player and he does not get the reign he did have at the start of the season. Morgy was ok in the first half but MCGINN AND MAGENNIS RAN THE SHOW IN THE FIRST HALF 

Jack Baird deserves credit for his defending today.  Made some game changing challenges today to earn us a draw. I love St Mirren but in my opinion we were lucky to get a draw I AGREE .

We play again on Saturday at home and i will be expecting the team to be firing on all cylinders from the off.Hope so

Xmas/new year games are quite literally a c**t for the players....for the fans...exciting 

They need credit for their efforts and not digging into that fat turkey ( Hawkins is an exception) over the festive period

We will bounce back ... 5-0 against ICT .... C'MON YE SAINTS !!!!!!

If we are honest something is not quite right about our team at the minute. It's obviously great we are top of the league but we haven't played well for a full match for a long time. I was hoping ross would come out today and say that's not good enough but he didn't.

Last season we were getting praised by the likes of Rodgers as the best team they had played against. We were keeping the ball for long spells, creating fluid passing moves and controlling games. I would say the midfield is the reason we are no longer doing this and in particular mcshane. He lacks pace and directness. Doesn't score enough open play goals and is too similar to McGinn. 

If if we are to return to the attractive passing team who controlled games and didn't need to keep "digging in" to win we must at least give magennis a shot at the centre mid role or bring in a better quality of player to partner McGinn.

I also think we should definitely enquiry at least about signing Jai Quitongo. The guy is a standout and a constant threat to us in every game against them. He's the main reason we can't beat them in any of the games. If he's going to cost 50k just pay it, win promotion and then if he performs next season we'll get our money back plus another 200k profit imo. 

Id also like to see us try and get Dobbie till the end of the season.  Could be the link man between midfield and strikers that we've been badly missing since mallan left. Obviously a short term solution.

we can't sit back and say that's great we're top of the league. We are riding our luck in most games and need to bolster with the correct type of player if we're to have a chance of fending off Dundee utd.

Edited by Big Yards

5 minutes ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

It has to be said, Cappilow is a dump.

Very true. Also felt police made an arse of emptying the car park, sending cars left into a housing scheme rather than right onto the main road. 

Agree that a draw was about right. Also glad we finally got a decent ref for a change. 

Guest TPAFKATS

Yeah, top of the league without clicking into top gear is tremendous. Particularly when United fans have been raving about how well they were playing since Lazlo came in.

2 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

We played games on the 23rd and 29th when Morton didn't... 3 games in 10 days versus 1 in 10 for them... heavy pitch on Friday and this afternoon as well.

I got a text from a Morton fan I used to work with saying he was glad his game was off last Saturday, and he thought we looked knacked in the 2nd half.

25 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Special mention for Kevin Clancy who was utterly honking for the entire game. Wasn't biased just shite.

I thought he was OK. If that had been Collum today, we'd have had Morgan sent off and lost a penalty right at the end. 

Guest TPAFKATS
I thought he was OK. If that had been Collum today, we'd have had Morgan sent off and lost a penalty right at the end. 
Debatable whether the Morton defender should've had a red for violent conduct to magennis when he was rightly booked. Not sure why McGinn got booked during the same incident. Harkins also a red for his foul?
The foul on Morgan in last 5 minutes was also a straight red - two feet off ground, from behind, led with studs.
Quitongo had a forearm smashes into Baird's face. No card.
I thought he called the booking for diving correct, then I saw a replay - there looked like contact. Thought Morgan dived, then saw the replay and it also looked line a pen. For both he was a lot closer than my view.

35 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Debatable whether the Morton defender should've had a red for violent conduct to magennis when he was rightly booked. Not sure why McGinn got booked during the same incident. Harkins also a red for his foul?
The foul on Morgan in last 5 minutes was also a straight red - two feet off ground, from behind, led with studs.
Quitongo had a forearm smashes into Baird's face. No card.
I thought he called the booking for diving correct, then I saw a replay - there looked like contact. Thought Morgan dived, then saw the replay and it also looked line a pen. For both he was a lot closer than my view.

Let's not forget Teirney's assault on Stellios off the pitch . .

40 minutes ago, paulsmfc said:

Morton could have had 3 or 4 sent off on another day. Was the O'Ware gesture caught on camera? Will the SPFL be investigating? Also what about the missile thrown by a Morton fan at Stelios? How do they choose what to investigate and what to sweep under the carpet?

The 'missile', being a sweet, believed to be a Bounty, thrown from the kids section... culprit probably aged about 10-12.  Should have been a steward around, didn't appear to be one nearby.

A draw probably fair, ref was terrible for both teams. but Morton on the end of more bad calls. Had 3 penalty shouts... 1 was a definite no (shot struck hand, but not deliberate), one would have been soft (Thompson was obstructed and didn't dive, have seen them given), and the one late on was a penalty (for clumsy contact on McHugh).

Dundee Utd were more impressive at Cappielow a few weeks back, but they really aren't up to much... Morton let them play by having tactics completely wrong that day. Two horse race for title, would make Utd slight favourites due to bigger squad.

We were tired after our festive schedule, Morton had enjoyed a break and it showed in the second half when they came back out fired up.  One of the little unfair things that can come up over the course of a season unfortunately.

Morton could easily have had three men sent off.  I hope the club begin to raise hell about Morgan being targeted with two-footed challenges and the like - perhaps now he will be a Celtic player we may actually see a bit more protection for him.

I seem to write this every week but we need a replacement for McShane, when the tide turns against us in a game the guy just disappears.  He's a good squad player to have when we are looking for a goal but he is clearly one of the few weak links in the squad.  I hope this young boy coming in from Celtic is good, but he isn't exactly what I would have had in mind.

If Celtic are paying the 300k for Morgan up front I do seriously hope a good chunk of it gets reinvested in the squad.  Having Morgan in the team gives us such a huge advantage over other teams, and I doubt we will have such a good chance to win the league for a long time.  The rest of the division is fairly weak this season to be honest.  We need a bit more quality in the middle of the park and more options to allow rotation up front if we are going to put games like this away.

Finally, what a cringe-worthy performance from the Morton fans, particularly with the whole "we know where you live" chant at Morgan.  Pretty nasty stuff.  And surely there are some Buddies that work in Inverclyde council that can get the ball rolling on getting that dump of an away end condemned.  They are sitting with the roof and seats from our old East Stand in a warehouse somewhere - high time the dump gets fixed up and away fans can get a roof over their head.