TV Documentary....Tannadice 87

HSS

30 seconds of the Cup Final.All it showed was the losers collecting their runners up medals,a quick shot of the Saints Fans celebrating,in fact they never mentioned St Mirren by name.

Come on The Gothenburg......

30 seconds of the Cup Final.All it showed was the losers collecting their runners up medals,a quick shot of the Saints Fans celebrating,in fact they never mentioned St Mirren by name.
Come on The Gothenburg......

This was on a couple of months ago, it was a great wee programme [emoji4]

That was an exceptional Utd. team which was still in with a chance of the League title as late as March until the number of games played started to catch up with them - IIRC we put the final nail in their league challenge when we beat them in early April at Love St.

United's Billy Thomson played 61 games that season and 8 others played 50 or more.

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

That was an exceptional Utd. team which was still in with a chance of the League title as late as March until the number of games played started to catch up with them - IIRC we put the final nail in their league challenge when we beat them in early April at Love St.

United's Billy Thomson played 61 games that season and 8 others played 50 or more.

Their team that won the league and reached the semi-final of the European Cup was better imo

It seems they were robbed of a final due to Roma bribing the match officals

To think we pumped them 4-0 that season

3 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

Their team that won the league and reached the semi-final of the European Cup was better imo

It seems they were robbed of a final due to Roma bribing the match officals

To think we pumped them 4-0 that season

The "new firm" certainly had Scotland punching above our weight 30-odd years ago. Even we had a few Euro results that would be front page news if replicated other Scottish teams nowadays.

Unfortunately Andy Roxburgh appeared on the scene with his "correct way to play football" nonsense. We used to play high tempo passing football which used to consternate European opposition at times - then we became a third rate "passing" side and Andy went on to a top Beuro post in Switzerland as our international results declined.

Our last great manager Sir Thomas of Hendrie bucked the trend for one glorious season before he went mad but mostly it's been downhill for Scottish football both domestic and international since those heady days - a Pox on the Rox is what I say, a Pox on the Rox! :spud5

9 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

The "new firm" certainly had Scotland punching above our weight 30-odd years ago. Even we had a few Euro results that would be front page news if replicated other Scottish teams nowadays.

Unfortunately Andy Roxburgh appeared on the scene with his "correct way to play football" nonsense. We used to play high tempo passing football which used to consternate European opposition at times - then we became a third rate "passing" side and Andy went on to a top Beuro post in Switzerland as our international results declined.

Our last great manager Sir Thomas of Hendrie bucked the trend for one glorious season before he went mad but mostly it's been downhill for Scottish football both domestic and international since those heady days - a Pox on the Rox is what I say, a Pox on the Rox! :spud5

Ok for a start off Andy  a guy who was a true coach and obviously UEFA saw something in him you didn't. He took us to WC in 1990 with some good players, so he played eh football... Andy then took us to arguably our most successful finals, Euro 92, where we had the Dutch and the Germans, playing great football before turning over CIS 3-0.............. We didn't have anything like the squad Fergie had or later Broon had... It was Craig that made us crap with his totally neg, thow shall not pass mentality...... 

The fact he was our next door neighbour for 15 years is neither here nor there :whistle

5 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Ok for a start off Andy  a guy who was a true coach and obviously UEFA saw something in him you didn't. He took us to WC in 1990 with some good players, so he played eh football... Andy then took us to arguably our most successful finals, Euro 92, where we had the Dutch and the Germans, playing great football before turning over CIS 3-0.............. We didn't have anything like the squad Fergie had or later Broon had... It was Craig that made us crap with his totally neg, thow shall not pass mentality...... 

The fact he was our next door neighbour for 15 years is neither here nor there :whistle

Fair enough then Down with Brown the Clown too, but I still says a Pox on the Rox.

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

Fair enough then Down with Brown the Clown, but I still says a Pox on the Rox.

Ok its a good line ..................... Is it Frack the Strach ?

Remember we had Burley and Levin so I expect similar lines to two totally shit managers 

11 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Ok its a good line ..................... Is it Frack the Strach ?

Remember we had Burley and Levin so I expect similar lines to two totally shit managers 

I'd say Rack the Strach - the wee man could do with a bit of stratching.

When the hurley, Burley's done it's time for a bloody useless pun.

Levin, Levin who are you, did you mismanage Scotland too?

30 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Bud you do state 93% of your posts are pish..... think that's a little bit optimistic

Although lets not squabble over a mere 7%!!:lol:

I try not to take things on here too seriously although I have ended up in a few stramashes but I'll try to make this one of my 7% and avoid finishing with a pun.

Looking back to the OP I think the 80's was a decent time for Scottish teams in Europe with mainly homegrown players, we also had plenty of players in the old English First Division available to us at national level - given that I feel Roxburgh's record as national team manager was average, no better, qualifying for 2 out of 4 major tournaments. I don't consider one victory in a "dead" game in the '92 European Championship and eventually being bumped upstairs to a bureaucratic post within EUFA to be a true measure of success. I also think that he used his stature as manager to instigate the changes in attitude & style which have weakened our game at both national and domestic level. For these reasons I think he is the main culprit responsible for our decline over the last 30 years

Edited by Bud the Baker

2 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I try not to take things on here too seriously although I have ended up in a few stramashes but I'll try to make this one of my 7% and avoid finishing with a pun.

Looking back to the OP I think the 80's was a decent time for Scottish teams in Europe, we also had plenty of players in the old English First Division available to us at national level - given that I feel Roxburgh's record as national team manager was average, no better, qualifying for 2 out of 4 major tournaments and that being bumped upstairs to a bureaucratic post within EUFA is no true measure of success I also think that he used his stature as manager to instigate the changes in attitude & style which have weakened our game at both national and domestic level. He is the main culprit responsible for our decline over the last 30 years

Yeah only kidding Bud

But the 80s was massively different as we didn't have the massive financial gulf, Souness probably had one of the best most expensive squads in Europe , Fergie and Jim were exceptions and they also developed great talent, and of course Fergie nicked ours........  Mclean tied his down

Lets not forget Saints won the Anglo in 79, progressed in Europe in 80s it was just different times....................

Plus Andy also had the start of the break up of the Soviet Union ......................... he certainly wasn't the problem.............

For me going back a bit............. Ernies think tank, the lack of investment in grassroots football, the Scottish Premier League in 76 with 10 teams , no training facilities and of course the advent of the EPL in 92 all played a part...

Remember when Ravenelli and Carnegio played for Dundee ???

Different times apart from the glaring fact that our FA are still terrible

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Yeah only kidding Bud

But the 80s was massively different as we didn't have the massive financial gulf, Souness probably had one of the best most expensive squads in Europe , Fergie and Jim were exceptions and they also developed great talent, and of course Fergie nicked ours........  Mclean tied his down

Lets not forget Saints won the Anglo in 79, progressed in Europe in 80s it was just different times....................

Plus Andy also had the start of the break up of the Soviet Union ......................... he certainly wasn't the problem.............

For me going back a bit............. Ernies think tank, the lack of investment in grassroots football, the Scottish Premier League in 76 with 10 teams , no training facilities and of course the advent of the EPL in 92 all played a part...

Remember when Ravenelli and Carnegio played for Dundee ???

Different times apart from the glaring fact that our FA are still terrible

Not forgetting Bosman just killed competition as the big teams have just stitched it up

Still little investment in grassroots as plenty of clubs folding due to ever increasing cost of facilities and pitches as they get older

And they won f**k all